• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Apt at Homerton

Hey everyone hope you are well & safe!
So my journey started in 2017 when I was first referred to the bariatric department in Homerton hospital I was so indecisive and I didn't know what to do.

Here we are in 2020 and I've decided that I will go ahead and have the surgery I've been having my appointment and my weight has been up-and-down let alone not again telling people about my surgery and people give me a really negative comments which put me off once again so now I've decided not to tell anyone anything.

I've got an appointment this month for a second appointment with the consultant when she spoke to me on the phone she said it was to sign consent for surgery so could anyone tell me what this means or what happens after this date?

Lalapo

I had surgery November 2019. I told no one only my husband and the 2 ladies on my hospital ward know. Well I have lost 6 stones on sleeve and people ask how I am doing it. I just say diet exercise and it makes me feel bad. The reason I didn’t tell people because I had negative comments about surgery. Also jealous individuals will make comments. It is hard to keep up. I’m thinking of letting it out. So my advice do what you think is right but you may find it easier to just be honest and go with it. At least you will have people to support you. I wish I could do it again but I had such low self esteem I couldn’t face the backlash.

Good luck with your surgery you won’t regret it.

Bling Babe

Hey everyone hope you are well & safe!
So my journey started in 2017 when I was first referred to the bariatric department in Homerton hospital I was so indecisive and I didn't know what to do.

Here we are in 2020 and I've decided that I will go ahead and have the surgery I've been having my appointment and my weight has been up-and-down let alone not again telling people about my surgery and people give me a really negative comments which put me off once again so now I've decided not to tell anyone anything.

I've got an appointment this month for a second appointment with the consultant when she spoke to me on the phone she said it was to sign consent for surgery so could anyone tell me what this means or what happens after this date?
I’m sorry I can’t give any help on timescales as all hospitals are different and policies change mont by month but I wanted to wish you luck x

DiZia

I have my very first appointment with Homerton hospital later this month on the telephone, then another consultation in early Nov.

It's so exciting to hear of so many others receiving their bariatric treatment at the same hospital.

I had surgery November 2019. I told no one only my husband and the 2 ladies on my hospital ward know. Well I have lost 6 stones on sleeve and people ask how I am doing it. I just say diet exercise and it makes me feel bad. The reason I didn’t tell people because I had negative comments about surgery. Also jealous individuals will make comments. It is hard to keep up. I’m thinking of letting it out. So my advice do what you think is right but you may find it easier to just be honest and go with it. At least you will have people to support you. I wish I could do it again but I had such low self esteem I couldn’t face the backlash.

Good luck with your surgery you won’t regret it.

Thank you so much, I will let people know once im ready. Just want to put my self first and be happy with what im doing. I cant wait to have the surgery!!!

I have my very first appointment with Homerton hospital later this month on the telephone, then another consultation in early Nov.

It's so exciting to hear of so many others receiving their bariatric treatment at the same hospital.
Yes I like Homerton, very understanding people. Keep me updated with your appointments.

Had my apt with Dr Loy who will be my surgeon on the day.
I have been approved for funding and he also recommends Gastric Sleeve for me, which i was leaning more towards anyway.

Now im awaiting an appointment for bloods and the team will ring me with my liver diet and surgery date. Tbh Im not going to wait for the apt I will ring the ward on Wednesday and see if i can get an apt sooner rather than waiting on them.
He said I could have the surgery Dec or Jan and even Nov is a possibility.
I am so excited to get started and start this journey!!!

any recommendations on what to pack in an hospital bag?

DiZia

Had my apt with Dr Loy who will be my surgeon on the day.
I have been approved for funding and he also recommends Gastric Sleeve for me, which i was leaning more towards anyway.

Now im awaiting an appointment for bloods and the team will ring me with my liver diet and surgery date. Tbh Im not going to wait for the apt I will ring the ward on Wednesday and see if i can get an apt sooner rather than waiting on them.
He said I could have the surgery Dec or Jan and even Nov is a possibility.
I am so excited to get started and start this journey!!!

any recommendations on what to pack in an hospital bag?
I'm under Dr. Loy, too, and will be meeting with him next month, for the first time. I'm at the very beginning of my journey.

If you don't mind me asking, what BMI/weight are you around? And, why did they feel the gastric sleeve was best for you? I'm have a BMI of 53, so I was thinking/assuming the bypass would be the best option for me, but I'm still doing my research.

I'm under Dr. Loy, too, and will be meeting with him next month, for the first time. I'm at the very beginning of my journey.

If you don't mind me asking, what BMI/weight are you around? And, why did they feel the gastric sleeve was best for you? I'm have a BMI of 53, so I was thinking/assuming the bypass would be the best option for me, but I'm still doing my research.

Hey DiZia, My weight is 305lbs BMI unsure but im 5'11.

ive read so much about the sleeve and the most appealing was the reflux you get with the bypass. Also the fact i have kids I want the digestion to not be so fast.

I also watched many youtubers who opted for sleeve and their way of life is just similar to mine. Although i have a friend who had a mini bypass.

So Ive had my pre op bloods done on Monday. Just waiting for the surgery dates now. Ive been trying to find out where i am on the waiting list but haven't been able to speak to anyone, when i spoke to Dr Loy he said im quite high up on the list I just want the surgery now. Im excited to start this journey.

Bling Babe

So Ive had my pre op bloods done on Monday. Just waiting for the surgery dates now. Ive been trying to find out where i am on the waiting list but haven't been able to speak to anyone, when i spoke to Dr Loy he said im quite high up on the list I just want the surgery now. Im excited to start this journey.
If you’ve had your pre-op bloods done your surgery should be in the next couple of weeks, I’m very surprised that they haven’t given you a date before sending you for pre-op bloods, I’m guessing you’ve started you LRD now too, I would call your team if I were you x

If you’ve had your pre-op bloods done your surgery should be in the next couple of weeks, I’m very surprised that they haven’t given you a date before sending you for pre-op bloods, I’m guessing you’ve started you LRD now too, I would call your team if I were you x
Hey Bling babe,

yes they called me today and gave me the 9th Dec for my surgery.
I will be doing all the dietician stuff online on tuesday. And the pre prep!!!!

Bling Babe

Hey Bling babe,

yes they called me today and gave me the 9th Dec for my surgery.
I will be doing all the dietician stuff online on tuesday. And the pre prep!!!!
That’s great, what a lovely early Christmas present, keep in touch.

Hey ladies, I am officially 4 weeks until surgery date, 2 weeks until I start LRD!!
I am excited, nervous & a little scared lol.
I have been having my b12 shots with my last 2 this week, any recommendations on what to pack in hospital bag?

Bling Babe

How exciting...you won’t needs a lot, loose fitting nightie or pyjama, a sports bra if you don’t fancy hanging free 😉, a pillow to hold over your tummy on the journey home, phone and phone charge, iPad and iPad charger, kindle etc, dry mouth spray, sugar free squash if your fussy, slippers, ear plugs and eye mask, xactually there is a thread about what to pack maybe take a look at that, others will be able to add to this list, my minds gone blank now, sorry,

DiZia

Yes I like Homerton, very understanding people. Keep me updated with your appointments.
Had my first consultation earlier this month. He told me that I could expect to wait about a year until surgery, and that I'll be referred to a dietitian, physiotherapist, and psychologist.

Just waiting to hear from them regarding these referrals…

He said he's happy to do the bypass on me, which I'm grateful for.