• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

First Appt at Homerton What to expect?

coach1968

Hello
I have been referred by my gp to the Homerton for WLS. I have received 2 letters from the Homerton - 1 for a Bariatric New Appointment this week and the 2nd is for May for a Bariatric Consultant New appointment.
Can anyone who has been to the Homerton please advise me what I can expect to happen next?
Hoping for the best!
Thanks

Hello welcome I've just had my first appointment this week at Homerton I saw the dietitian and went through my whole history of diets and exercise they weigh you and you have blood tests and a ECG test and next month I've got a appointment with my consultant who's Mr Sanjay Aqrawal and a group seminar which some people have on the first appointment hope that helps they was all lovely. Who's your consultant? X

Thank you! The consultant I have to see is Mr Koak. Just really anxious they will say I'm not suitable - although thinking logically my GP wouldn't have referred me if he didn't think they could help me. Did they tell you what surgeries they offer?
Thanks for replying!
x

Michelle is right on the money I too had my appointments at homerton and they were and still are lovely
Good luck

We spoke about it and it seems they prefer to do the gastric bypass and the gastric sleeve they don't like doing the bands as they seem to think there is a lot of complications with it was the impression I got with my appointment with the dietitian but when you have your group seminar and surgeon appointment that's when you go more into what surgery they will offer you hope that helps x

Thanks. I went today for my 1st appointment. I saw the dietician and had group meeting about the various surgeries they offer. I have to go back to have my ecg and blood tests done as both these depts are closed on Saturdays. I was told I've got to lose 14lbs before my surgery and also to ring and ask if my consultant appt can be brought forward. Feel happy and positive that this is the right step for me but equally don't want to get my hopes up as after battling nearly all my life with weight problem that there may finally be a light at the end of the tunnel. Like you I got the impression that they would prefer the gastric bypass as opposed to the band and after watching the presentation I agree.
Thanks for your replies

That's good hopefully you can see the consultant before May because that's a long time to wait. Which dietitian did you see ?I saw a lovely lady called Victoria x x

That's good hopefully you can see the consultant before May because that's a long time to wait. Which dietitian did you see ?I saw a lovely lady called Victoria x x
I saw Cleverly. She was lovely. I also rang today and asked about bringing forward my consultant appt they have brought it forward to next week
X

I saw Cleverly. She was lovely. I also rang today and asked about bringing forward my consultant appt they have brought it forward to next week
X

Aw she is the sweetest. Welcome guys, I had my sleeve at homerton in July 2014. Good luck with your journeys and feel free to fire any questions my way xx

Aw she is the sweetest. Welcome guys, I had my sleeve at homerton in July 2014. Good luck with your journeys and feel free to fire any questions my way xx
Hi Sophiapink100 how long did you wait from having all your first meetings and seeing the consultant to finding out when your op date is x

Hi Sophiapink100 how long did you wait from having all your first meetings and seeing the consultant to finding out when your op date is x

My first appointment was in the October they then called me in December and booked me for my op in feb, unfortunately due to bloods it was then cancelled after the pre op and I was re booked for July x

My first appointment was in the October they then called me in December and booked me for my op in feb, unfortunately due to bloods it was then cancelled after the pre op and I was re booked for July x
Thank you that's quite quick I'm so hoping they say yes I don't know what I'll do if they say no x

Thank you that's quite quick I'm so hoping they say yes I don't know what I'll do if they say no x

You should find out fairly quickly. However it's all dependant on the waiting list they have at that time. Hopefully they won't keep you waiting too long :) just make sure you are at your healthiest when you go to the pre op, mine waa cancelled due to continous infections due to exhaustion so make sure you are rested and eating well x

I saw Cleverly. She was lovely. I also rang today and asked about bringing forward my consultant appt they have brought it forward to next week X
Hello good luck for your consultant appointment this week can you let me know how you get on I've got mine next week x

I will, it's on thurs so I will let you know how it goes. Really nervous that they will say no to me. I feel hopeful but think it's cos I've battled with my weight for years that I can't believe that I could be 'normal' if they say yes! Got everything crossed and thinking positive. The nurse there told me the biggest step is actually getting your gp to refer you and that they initially say yes or no on your referral letter. Fingers crossed! x

I will, it's on thurs so I will let you know how it goes. Really nervous that they will say no to me. I feel hopeful but think it's cos I've battled with my weight for years that I can't believe that I could be 'normal' if they say yes! Got everything crossed and thinking positive. The nurse there told me the biggest step is actually getting your gp to refer you and that they initially say yes or no on your referral letter. Fingers crossed! x
I hope it goes well I'll have my fingers and toes crossed for you. Mines next week and it's all I can think about I have no health issues and my bmi is 43 so just hope that's enough I do have a copy of my doctors referral and she's said I've done all other measures and recommends me for bariatric surgery lets just hope so not heard about blood tests either so hoping no news is good news. Good Luck for thurs and let us know how you get on x x

It's all I can think about since I got my letter on 31st Dec- bit sad really! My BMI is 47 have had a bulging disc in my back and was last week medicated for hypertension so am hoping it's enough. I will update you on thurs how it goes. Next week will soon be here for you x

I am sure you will both be fine :) the nerves are completely normal. When I had my operation I had a bmi of 63 and I was pretty set that if they didn't say yes that was it for me, I was giving up on life. But sure enough here I am 11st lighter x

I am sure you will both be fine :) the nerves are completely normal. When I had my operation I had a bmi of 63 and I was pretty set that if they didn't say yes that was it for me, I was giving up on life. But sure enough here I am 11st lighter x
Thank you,wow 11 stone that's excellent well done you must feel great . X x

Back