• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

B12 injections

pinkprincess77

Hi all I was just wondering if people can tell when their b12 is due? I'm having my 1st one yhis week but the last couple of week I have felt really crappy, feeling light headed and general lack of energy. Im wondering if this could be due to a lack of b12 or not ?

Does everyone have b12 or is it only if your levels are low. I had my bypass in October and no one has even mentioned them to me,I have regular bloods done so i would think if I had a deficiency it would show.

Does everyone have b12 or is it only if your levels are low. I had my bypass in October and no one has even mentioned them to me,I have regular bloods done so i would think if I had a deficiency it would show.

I may be wrong but I thought everyone who had a bypass had the b12 injection?

Yes you're right if you were deficient it would show in your bloods. I haven't had any bloods done since the day of my op which was 12 weeks ago today.

I had my bypass in January 2012, I have never had or needed B12 injections (needed = bloods showing a deficiency of B12) but I know some places routinely give them to bypass patients. I wouldn't worry if you are not automatically given them as there may not be a need. When you are further out you will have to think about eating a wide range of nutritious foods for your bodies needs on top of your vitamins. Post op it was natural to feel tired as the body is healing and getting used to reduced intake, but I can honestly say I've never felt fitter or livelier.

Good luck with your ongoing journey.

Just realised I didn't answer your initial question, I think some people mention a lack of energy as a sign they need their B12 injection, being light headed sounds to me like a BP or blood sugar dip - from a totally un medical background - so get it checked professionally kinda way!

I had mine in July 2011 & have never needed one yet. I have my regular blood tests currently 6monthly for another year then an annual one from the hospital guidance.
My doses of vitamins etc are monitored & as I say so far I've not needed the extra boosts the B12 gives.
Others who have had surgery since mine have & do but their levels were low pre-op to so I think it's luck of the draw.

I have mine every 3 months. I was told by my provider they recommend life long B12, but every provider is different.

I have mine every 3 months. I was told by my provider they recommend life long B12, but every provider is different.

I suppose it's yet another thing that varies between providers. I'm just a little worried because I go on holiday on saturday and to be honest I feel completely crap.

I suppose it's yet another thing that varies between providers. I'm just a little worried because I go on holiday on saturday and to be honest I feel completely crap.

Get it before you go of you can. It doesn't have to be bang on 3 months. You don't want to be feeling crappy on your jolly's x

Get it before you go of you can. It doesn't have to be bang on 3 months. You don't want to be feeling crappy on your jolly's x

I'm having it this Wednesday :). I can't wait to get on the plane this year. Last year it filled me with dread, I needed a extender belt but I was too embarrassed to ask for one. so sucked in the best I could and sat there all the way it nearly cutting me into two lol. I'm hoping there is some slack this year :) the little things are what please the most x

I was feeling ill and tired and the doctor gave me my B12 early. You are usually on B12 for life. If you miss a dose I think you have to have a loading dose and start all over again. but I could be wrong

I have b12 deficiency anaemia so I have been having injections for years...they should be every 3 months but sometimes my levels drop off so have it more frequently..I know when it's time because I get very fatigued to the point that I am falling asleep at my desk at work...be warned they hurt :(

I have b12 deficiency anaemia so I have been having injections for years...they should be every 3 months but sometimes my levels drop off so have it more frequently..I know when it's time because I get very fatigued to the point that I am falling asleep at my desk at work...be warned they hurt :(

Thanks for the warning :) x

My surgeon....I don't use the word provider....cos he took my money and ran... states that all his patients should have blood tests and B12 injections every 3 months from the outset. His belief is that people "forget to get the tests done"
Fortunately my GP is very supportive and does the routines every 3 months as part of my after care,

This is something that people going private should take into consideration as the NHS does NOT have to pick this up!

Back