• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Baby Food..

Chuffy_29

This is probably a silly question but can you eat baby food during the puree and mushy sections of the post op diet? I was wondering as the purees are very smooth and it would be easy to make sure there was food around as i can be a bit lax in getting stuff ready and then i get really hungry and a tummy ache!

Yes you can as long as they are nice and low sugar. Cant say they are mega tastey but they are easy enough.
Steph xx

Chuffy, this is a question that is bugging me slightly.....when i went to a BOSPA meeting i was told that they are great during the puree stage etc so my family bought me a hamper full!!
But over the months of being a member here i've only seen bad things being said too much sugar in them etc.......so i don't really know the answer! but thought i'd share what i know (not alot!!) :8855:

oh Steph, must have posted at the same time!! thanks for that i shall check the sugar in the 20 something jars i have!!

Hi i was told at my very first seminar that baby food was not to be used so please check first. Hope this helps x

The advice I was given by the hospital says not to eat baby food as it isn't suitable for us.

This is probably a silly question but can you eat baby food during the puree and mushy sections of the post op diet? I was wondering as the purees are very smooth and it would be easy to make sure there was food around as i can be a bit lax in getting stuff ready and then i get really hungry and a tummy ache!

Chuffy have you got a freezer? It's easy to make a few things pre-op and freeze them. I haven't used baby food as I was told the nutritional value wasn't good enough. They are also horribly bland.

I'm sure your all right in what you say but i find it annoying that a spokes person at a Bospa meeting would say these are ok, because if i had not joined this site thats what i would have been using! :mad:

I was never advised on the baby food but tried a few jars in the early days, bought three jars and threw away two and a half because my dad cooked up some tastey meals and then blended them for me, so I had those instead.
Steph xx

I don't mind the baby jars (have a taster every now and then) as we have organic ones that actually taste like whizzed up food. I do have a freezer but i haven't ever managed to get a nice smooth puree, either with the hand blender (which is good for soup) or the processor. maybe i'll do some practice making soups and seeing if i can make them like puree then thin them for soups..would that work?

I don't mind the baby jars (have a taster every now and then) as we have organic ones that actually taste like whizzed up food. I do have a freezer but i haven't ever managed to get a nice smooth puree, either with the hand blender (which is good for soup) or the processor. maybe i'll do some practice making soups and seeing if i can make them like puree then thin them for soups..would that work?

the secret is to make sure you put enough liquid in. I find the jug blender is the most efficient. Just make your soup and then whizz it in the blender.

A little tip: put some tofu in the soup and blend. It adds extra protein and also makes a soup nice and creamy. Also anything with seeds, put through a sieve.

I bought my jug blender from Sainsburies for £10. I know Asda and Tesco do a cheap one too. It does the job, also makes nice smoothies and milkshakes. :D

You can also puree fruit (tinned, fresh or frozen) and freeze that. Lovely to add to natural yoghurt, just like a muller corner but safe because you know what's in it. Or add to NAS custard.

i had loads of stuff in the freezer for when i was on purree stage, and i hardly used any of it, cos my taste totally changed, so i tended to go by what i fancied as i went along. i did have some of the fruit baby foods, and they were fine, i didnt fancy any of the savoury ones. even now foods that i loved before the op, icant eat, i used to love lancashire cheese, i cant eat it now cos i can taste salt in it, ive become super sensitive to salt for some reason, and can taste it in loads of things. ive never really liked salt, but never to the point that it is now.

We were told not to rely on them, but they are OK for out and about and in work etc...they are all pretty minging though! I didnt find one that I like :)

Sal x

The dietician at our support group said definitely NOT to use baby food.

Its too high in salt and sugar and doesn't have enough nutrients and protein for adults.

I didn't prepare food in advance - my tastes had totally changed on the pre-op diet.

I did buy a Bamix blender - and its the only gadget we've ever bought that still gets used.

Even had Christmas dinner made into soup - it was yummy!!

xxx

Back