• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Back and skeletal problems post op ....?

Sharonimo

Sleeve to Bypass
Anyone else developed bad back / shoulder pains or other muscolar / skeletal problems after large amount of weight loss?

-- I used to go to an osteopath regularly up until Jan this year, then lost weight on 'pre-op' and the op itself ..... had not seen my osteo chap for 11 months until last week

-- Have now lost 120 lbs and reached 15 stone which I last weighed when 21 years old ..... so this is a *lot* of weight loss for my body to adjust to ..... I was over 15 / 18 / 20 stone for 24+ years and may shortly be entering unchartered territory -- low weights that I have never (previously) experienced during my adult life.

-- Ten days ago my back, shoulders and sides all started going "wrong" pains all over the place

At first I started to think:

-- maybe it is due to muscle loss -- perhaps it's all my own fault not consuming my daily protein targets has led to muscle wastage and I've lost muscle specifically from my back and shoulders ???

But my osteo chap said (sort of) that he thinks my back might just be adjusting to the new load.

Anyone else experienced this?

It's very annoying at the moment -- very painful (am using Ibuprofen gel and deep heat etc) -- and it is messing up with my exercise plans as I feel in so much pain I don't feel like doing aerobics ......... I just feel cr*p when my back is in pain !!!!

Last edited:
Yes and I was warned about this pre op. basically our bodies change too quick for our joints and muscles to adapt. It will pass again- give it time.

I don't have back pain but still have pain in the butt area when I have sat too long, apparently that is the base of the spine adjusting to the wls!! x ohh the joys !! better than being a heavy weight though xx

Yes my back pain has increased, especially mid back. But then I do have a back breaking job. Just wish the tennis elbow would Naff off! Sat at the physio dept now, at the local hospital, waiting to have physio and acupuncture.

Deep Joy.! Things ive got to look forward to!

Oh yeah, that and hair loss .... and a few other things ..... the weight loss does unfortunately have a few negative side effects.

However I would not wish to be 23 stone, immobile using crutches (as I was in July 2011), with loads of health problems the way I was 18 months ago.

And peeps have said the back problems *will* go, once my body gets used to this new weight .... and hair will regrow. :D

Yup. I suffered muscle wastage (due to the chronic malabsorption and my other health issues) and as a result had a herniated disc and ended up having spinal surgery last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Me too. Am waiting for scan results after x-rays showed serious disk degeneration. also have an enlarged and inflamed coccyx. also can't sit because I have no ass! I have been referred to an orthopedic surgeon. Even more aggravating is that I now have pain in my knees, hips and shoulders and they 'freeze'.
Never had this when I was fat. ironic really...

Hi

The pain in the bum after weightloss is very common, it's the coccyx or the tail bone. The coccyx is made up from a number of small bones all jointed together just like your spine and with normal weight people it is able to move out of the way when you sit down, the trouble with us ex fatties is that all the time we had a large padded backside it cushioned the coccyx so it did not need to move when we sat down and like all of our joints if you don't use it it freezes solid, so now we have lost our padding so when we sit down we hit the end of the coccyx which cannot move out of the way because its frozen. The options are to either put up with it and adapt the way we sit or what we sit on or have it either surgically broken or removed. For me I would recomend a gel seat cushion over surgery any day.

The other common issue after weightloss which no one tells you about is that you will always be cold during the winter. I always used to fight the wife in turning the heating down when she wanted it turned up, now we race each other to turn it up first.

See being thin is sometimes not all its cracked upto be is it.

Paul

Me too. Am waiting for scan results after x-rays showed serious disk degeneration. also have an enlarged and inflamed coccyx

Sorry to hear about this Miss Tickle.

Yup. I suffered muscle wastage (due to the chronic malabsorption and my other health issues) and as a result had a herniated disc and ended up having spinal surgery last year.

eeeeeek !! so sorry to hear that, shelbell, think your back problems are a bit more serious than mine. :eek: :eek: :eek:

I have been getting back shoulder pains for a while now, gradually getting worse, it's not what I used to get at lower back this is between my shoulder blades and get very uncomfortable. I'm sure it's to do with posture change now the weights dropping off, but having a few extra days off next week and will b popping to gp

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

I also suffer with my coccyx, and get back pain which I thought was down to my job, but maybe not x

from me phone :D

Back