• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Back to see the surgeon...

ChrystalK

recovering at home
Hi, I am new to this site and can't believe that I had not found it sooner.

I am back at the hospital on Thursday to see the surgeon and was wondering if anyone has been set a weight loss target pre sugery but had their operation go ahead if they did not reach the target?

Fingers crossed after this visit I will make it onto the waiting list!!

Hi Chrystal and :welcome: to minis

I wasn't NHS so I cant help you with your query but im sure someone will be along soon who will be able to give you more info

Good Luck

My surgeon suggested I lose 2 stone but I stayed the same. At The Whittington, they are really interested in how you do on the pre op liver shrink diet. If your liver has not shrunk enough, they wont perform the surgery as its dangerous.

Welcome to the site, it's great here!! Lots of friendly people who know exactly what we are going through and full of wonderful advice!!

Good luck with your surgeon's appointment, and about your query, most surgeons require you to go on the 'liver shrinking' aka the 'milk diet'. if you type in milk diet in the search box on top right of surgical forum (in blue car at top) loads of threads and info will come up for you x

HTH:)

Hi Chrystal,

My surgeon wants me to lose 7kg before my op. I was warned by the bariatric nurse if I didn't or gained I could be refused surgery. Was also told if they start op and your liver hasn't shrunk they won't continue with the surgery.

Hi Chrystal
Welcome to minis you have def come to the right place for advice and support. I was'nt NHS either so can't really help but can echo those who have said pre op it's more about how much you shrink your liver as opposed to how much weight you actually lose( well that's what my surgeon said) good luck with your journey x

As above, I was not given any weight loss target, just the liver shrinking diet 10 days prior to surgery. And no, they aren't the same!
They would not operate if I hadn't stuck to the diet.

My Dr at the hospital wants me to lose 5 to 10% of my weight before they will even refer me to the wls Dr.

Every hospital is different.

Good luck with your journey and welcome to minis. x

I went to see the consultant a week ago who told me that she would like me to lose 10% of my body weight before she referrs me for surgery, and also hinted that if i lost close to it before my appointment in December she would referr me (seen as my 10% is a lot - 18kg! ). So you will just have to see what occurs!

:) xxxxx

All went ok with the visit to the surgeon today, he said I am a good candidate for surgery, but he now thinks I should have a band rather than a by-pass. They still recommend that I lose 10kg but as long as they see my weight falling I will make it up the waiting list. Fingers crossed I can keep the weight off.

Back