• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

backache

teen

post op loser
Hi I have noticed since having my bypass(5 weeks ago) I only have to stand say by the sink doing dishes I end up with bad backache and my right shoulder aches aswell Is this normal? Never suffered with backache

Also I posted a while back that I was getting a funny sensation to the side of my scar like pin pricks, Well today that turned into a feeling that some one was sticking a knife in me. Anyone else had this feeling?

Thanx:confused:

i often get backach when my weigh changes your body is changing shape and even the way your stood can be different, i had the prickle feeling befor usually when something healing not had it any other time if the stabbing pain gets worse or only in one spot get it checked out

backache during weight loss is usually down to muscle change and ligaments taking up the slack. the best thing for it ie exercise to strengthen them. As for the the stabbing pain it is probably be nerve dammage repairing but if it gets unbearable get it checked out.

Also because of the open procedure you carry yourself differently whilst walking and standing and are using muscles that you don't really use. But if it doesn't get better then speak to the surgical team or gp.

Thanx all i new I could rely on you lot

The stabbing pain is in the same place just left of mt scar

Thanx all i new I could rely on you lot

The stabbing pain is in the same place just left of mt scar

Teen i suffered with a stabbing pain in my left shoulder for about 9 weeks - apparently this is a byproduct of any laproscopic surgery, the Doc said its to do with nerves cut or moved about during the procedure and will go of its own accord.
Not sure if this is the same thng as yours though, yours might just be side effects of the operation scars !

I get backache when I'm doing the dishes, often thought it was cause I'm bending at a weird angle as my tummy stops me getting right up close to the sink but I have noticed it more since my op so I guess it must be as other people have said with the body having to adjust to the weightloss.

One other thing that has really started bothering me is as soon as I lie down at night I start getting really sharp cramps in my left leg that are so painful sometimes I feel like crying. I don't notice it happening at all during the day just once I'm in bed. I do suffern from sciatica but have n't ever had anything as painful as this and why does it only happen at night?

Alia xxx

Alia

I had a laparoscapy quite a few years ago and no one mentioned this pain in your shoulder and when I got home it was agony, I was led to believe after researching it is where they fill you up with gas so all the weight is on your shoulders. I t was a pain that I still remember 10 years on, I was given strong painkillers and I remember being lay inbed and my husband brought me a tablet and I fell fast asleep within seconds.
So be preparred even if its not bad remember to ask for plenty of painkillers. I have been through childbirth 3 times since then so many be I was just much softer LOL !!!!
xxx

One other thing that has really started bothering me is as soon as I lie down at night I start getting really sharp cramps in my left leg that are so painful sometimes I feel like crying. I don't notice it happening at all during the day just once I'm in bed. I do suffern from sciatica but have n't ever had anything as painful as this and why does it only happen at night?

Alia,

I suffer from cramps too but always have, its a lack of salt and dehydration that usually spark it off. So it might be that you are not getting enough of these. One of the best ways I have found to prevent it is either have some bovril or packet soup (as they are quite salty) or use Diorylite (SP?) they stuff you use if you have had runny tummy. It restores the electrolyte balance (salt/sugars) in your body. If not, go to the chemist and get Crampex and take when you have an attack and for a few days after as that will help prevent further painful attacks.

The other thing I do before going to bed, is excercise my legs, as cramp can also be brought on by under use of muscles during the day. The warmer a muscle is, the less likely it is to cramp.

Also make sure that your bedding is not trapping legs whilst asleep, sometimes that helps too.

I would imagine that yours is dietary/immobility due to resting after your operation related as you never suffered before the bypass.

I hope this helps.:)

Alia,

I suffer from cramps too but always have, its a lack of salt and dehydration that usually spark it off. So it might be that you are not getting enough of these. One of the best ways I have found to prevent it is either have some bovril or packet soup (as they are quite salty) or use Diorylite (SP?) they stuff you use if you have had runny tummy. It restores the electrolyte balance (salt/sugars) in your body. If not, go to the chemist and get Crampex and take when you have an attack and for a few days after as that will help prevent further painful attacks.

The other thing I do before going to bed, is excercise my legs, as cramp can also be brought on by under use of muscles during the day. The warmer a muscle is, the less likely it is to cramp.

Also make sure that your bedding is not trapping legs whilst asleep, sometimes that helps too.

I would imagine that yours is dietary/immobility due to resting after your operation related as you never suffered before the bypass.

I hope this helps.:)

Thanks for that information Caz, I'll deffinately take on board what you have said and try the bovril and see if that helps, if not I'll get the crampex that you advised and try thatl

Thanks again

Alia

I have had backache standing in the kitchen since i came home from hospital, i know its down to the weight loss and have just ignored it, its now eased off and i await the next period LOL i used to get this whenever i went though certain weight gains, so its not unusual

I had a laparoscapy quite a few years ago and no one mentioned this pain in your shoulder and when I got home it was agony, I was led to believe after researching it is where they fill you up with gas so all the weight is on your shoulders. I t was a pain that I still remember 10 years on, I was given strong painkillers and I remember being lay inbed and my husband brought me a tablet and I fell fast asleep within seconds.
So be preparred even if its not bad remember to ask for plenty of painkillers. I have been through childbirth 3 times since then so many be I was just much softer LOL !!!!
xxx

the shoulder ache is just in my right shoulder I had open surgery so no gas was used. But I no what you mean I got all that pain when I was 25 when I was sterilised and it ached lol

Back