• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Bad pain in middle of tummy

Mummyof2

I'm just wondering if anybody else gets a really bad painful contraction type feeling in their tummy when the first eat? I often eat a wheetabix in the morning around 10 and get a mild feeling then eat around 4-5 ish (when I can fit something in!) and have to lie back holding my tummy. Again this happens around 9-10pm when I eat. Is this because I have not eaten for a long time and my body is grabbing it immediately? Does anyone else get pains similar?

Clare x

Hiya - dont mean to lecture at all but you shouldnt be leaving it so long between meals. I have breakfast at around 9am then a mid morning snack then lunch then a mid afternoon snack (sometimes) then supper and lots of water inbetween. Could just be lack of food - sure one of the more experienced girls/boys will have a proper answer - PhatGirl or ShelBel.

I don't get the pain hun, and we're about the same time post op:(Are you eating too quickly?:confused:

I don't get the pain hun, and we're about the same time post op:(Are you eating too quickly?:confused:

I agree with Candie, you could be eating too quickly, and not chewing enough. Use a teaspoon and make sure anything solid you eat is well chewed. If it persists contact your provider. x x

Yes if you are not sure and it persists get advice!!

Jay xx

Sounds like trapped wind to me - I get it when I sup too quickly - 1st thing in the morning when I am gagging for it (my 1st cup of tea ;)) I forget and gulp the 1st couple of mouthfuls - I soon pay for it and get that pain. Only happens with liquids with me - I eat all me blended shlop off a teaspoon.

Hope it eases soon but give your dietitian a call.

Well I too would blame eating to quickly however it happens with the first or second teaspoon full. I don't think it's wind because it's like a contracting pain comes really intense dies off comes back really intence dies off etc for a good 5-10 mins, sometimes painful enough to make me dizzy and feel sick! Is this the same for you candie?

Clare x

I am shaking a finger at you but you can't see, you MUST eat more often, your body needs the nurtrition or else it will think you are starving and store the calories as fat. What your are describing sounds like intestinal cramps which can be caused by dehydration, low fiber diets, reaction to high fat foods or a lactose intolerance. Try upping your fluids, add a fiber supplement like Benefibre, restrict your fats and if all else doesn't do the trick try soy products to replace you milk products. It is common for people to become lactose intolerant post-op. Just to let you know I had terrible wind and some intestinal cramping at about your stage and it was eased by upping my fluids and upping my fiber supplement.

HTH,
Nic;)

I'm not being funny but I really don't think anyone should be asking for serious advice on a forum with regards to pain especially after major surgery.

I've had similair pains over the past couple of weeks and had to have a swallow test this morning because it looks like I may have a restriction of some sort. My surgeon certainly didn't seem to think this pain and problems were down to my eating habits.

On top of that while at the hospital I also met another woman (Lynn) who had her surgery around the same time as I did. She also had post operative pain on trying to eat and its turned out hers was down to an abcess between her stomach and diaphram.

Please if you do have pain, get it checked out by your bariatric team. It may be something or nothing, but surely its better safe than sorry.

Good point Bonita, always check with your bariatric team if you have pain and are concerned. Many times what seems like a lot is really nothing but that one time it really is something you don't want to ignore or dismiss it! We are not medical professionals and are not qualified to give medical advice and our suggestions should never be constrewed as such. We can only offer our own experiences. Bonita was right to point that out.

Nic;)

Back