• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

band and port/ balloon

sunny69

Hi all, i just can't make a decision at all not sure if i should have the balloon or go for the gastric band, to have the spatz balloon for 12 mths is £4995 or the band with THG also at £4495, but what i would like to know can you feel it at all i.e the port or don't you even know that its there, its just that I'm a stomach sleeper and the thought of feeling it there is not good.

I have had both but my balloon was just for 6 months. I lost weight with the balloon but put it all back on and more when it came out whereas a band is a long term thing. Really investigate the band though as it is a lot harder than I thought! I can feel the port when I press on it but don't sleep on my stomach but don't think it would be uncomfortable. After the op you cant lie on your stomach for a few weeks.

Hiya
I have had the band and the port is my 'alien'. U can feel it but only when you press on it. When u lay down u can sometimes see where it is. Its nothing bad!
My cousin had the balloon and wishes she had had the band as she also has put weight back on and feels it was a waste of money - I think its a short term fix.
My band is now becoming my friend but its been one big learning curve! U really do have to work with it all the way!
Good luck on your adventure though! I went with WLS group they have good prices and excellent aftercare - I had mine in Belgium to save a few pennies and the whole experience was faultless!
x

I had a band two weeks ago and have continued to sleep on my tummy since day 3 post op. I find it difficult to sleep any other way. I can feel my port if I press firmly but other than that, you wouldn't know it was there. I don't know if it gets more prominent as you lose weight tho...

I am also a stomach sleeper and I have had no problems at all. The first week was hard because you are swollen and sore, so I slept sat up with four pillows under me. I can feel my port if a press firmly but I cannot see it at all.
The band for me is the best thing I have ever done! I am losing a steady 2lbs a week and I haven't had my 1st fill yet. I think you have to be ready mentally for it and you also have to change you whole approach to eating. It is a tool to help you, rather than a quick fix some people think. If you want something to help lose and maintain your weight for the rest of your life then go with the band. I have no regrets at all.

AmyN said:
I am also a stomach sleeper and I have had no problems at all. The first week was hard because you are swollen and sore, so I slept sat up with four pillows under me. I can feel my port if a press firmly but I cannot see it at all.
The band for me is the best thing I have ever done! I am losing a steady 2lbs a week and I haven't had my 1st fill yet. I think you have to be ready mentally for it and you also have to change you whole approach to eating. It is a tool to help you, rather than a quick fix some people think. If you want something to help lose and maintain your weight for the rest of your life then go with the band. I have no regrets at all.

Well said amy, I echo everything you say! X

Hi,ive had my band in situ for 3 years in May.My port wasnt visible at first,but now I have lost my weight it really is visible all the time,and particularly if im led down.Some providers do 'low profile' ports I believe,and I do wish id known about that when I had the surgery.Ive told very few people about my op,but the lump on my tum has provoked a few questions from friends etc if ive been swimming,on a night out in a tight dress etc.Maybe something to consider thats all.

Good luck on you WL journey x

Oh my days-well now im going to feel like a plonker,but i have explained it away as a hernia (blush,blush).I know its a fib,but I dont want the world knowing,so thats what ive said to associates,my real friends know exactly what it is (and usually stand there tittering away as im trying to give my cover up speech to others).

It is only seen on the rare occasion i wear a swimming cossie,or through tight stuff.Bit of a bugbear,but more than happy to put up with it for the weightloss that ive had. Xxxxx

i have the band i also went to belgium for 1 yr worked well then it slipped then went back to belguim got it re positioned then i got dilated osopagas i had times wen it was 2 tight i even lost a holiday couldent drink then i had it to slack i could eat anything to be honsest it was money after money xx

I had a balloon (self funded) - lost loads of weight and put it all back on again when it came out. I had a band on the NHS but sadly it caused serious reflux and I had to have it taken out - was lucky enough to get NHS funding to revise to a Bypass at the same time - third time lucky eh.

Back