• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Band Complications - pre-op corrective surgery

CarpeDiem

Hi - my introduction....

My name is Carrol and I am currently a bandster - but not sure for how much longer :cry:

Band fitted Dec 2006 (NHS funded) - been nightmare trying to get aftercare - band emptied in August 2008 due to stretched pouch - xray last month showed eosophagus now not woking properly so just awaiting date for corrective surgery. Surgeon will either open band and leave in situ (if he can) or remove.

I have been offered a revision to bypass but have declined - read far too many horror stories - and Im probably a bit of a wimp :eek:

The band has not been as successful for me as it has for many people (I lost 6 stone - but in the last 12 months have re-gained 1 - would like to lose another 4 stone)

I currently have pain after eating my main evening meal (only a side plate) - give me rubbish to eat and it goes down a treat - no pain - give me veggies and meat and I'm in agony !! :eek:

Im not sorry I had my band fitted and yes I would do it again - I am hoping it can stay there and be closed again in a few months to give me another 'go'.... but who knows.

Anyone else been in this situation ?

Carrol

hi carol, and firstly welcome to minis xx i had my 1st band removed but for different reasons to yours and i have had it replaced and its working fine now.
well done on the 6 stone lost, a stone regain isnt to bad i regained 2 stone but im now on way back down towards target again.

rubbish will go down a treat for banders as its slider foods, if your experiencing pain ffrom real food its because of a couple of reasons, your either eating to quickly and putting the food in faster than it can pass thro the band hole which causes the pain which then causes either vomiting or pouch stretching, or the food hasnt been chewed well enough and the lumps get stuck there for not allowing the rest of the meal to pass thro safley.

does your band providor offer counciling to address how you can come to terms with living with a band properly, as i believe from what you have described that you can learn to live with your band in the correct manner with the correct guidence.

i dont mean to come across harsh, but im just trying to advise you in the right direction, it doesnt sound like your band is damaged, maybe the surgeon should be putting you on as liquid diet and let the pouch shrink back to a normal status then start again from scratch with fills but with the correct support and guidence then your band can be used again to its maximum potential.

liz x

Hi sorry to hear your having problems with your band. Dont know what horror stories you have read about the bypass but there are lots of really good success stories on here I am one of them.....why dont you do some research before your write the bypass off it changed my life so much I thank every day I had it. Whatever you decide to do I hope it all goes well for you...xx

Could you afford private support for your band journey? I know its beyond many people but WLSG provides an after care only service that quite a few bander's use who have been banded elsewhere.

I do agree with Liz on her views on the problems with your band as she has the T-shirt (so to speak) on band problems.....I also met another lady at my support group at the weekend who had a very similar problem to yours and it was sorted out with exactly what Liz has just suggested.
I hope this helps xx

I have just had my band removed due to lots of problems including rubbish aftercare (NHS). Turns out my band was not fitted properly amongst other things...

I have heard far more positive stories about bypasses than negative ones. If you get a chance to have a revision to a bypass - do think about it very carefully. Have a good look at your eating habits. I have yet to decide if I will have another op, and if so which one, but whilst slider foods became a must for me - they were also a convenient way for me to binge.

Oh, and BTW losing 5 stones in a year with a band is great. Don't beat yourself up about it.

Hi Carrol welcome to minimims sorry to hear about your problems you must be feeling pretty down at present
However listen to what Liz and Wanda have to say they are both banders and Liz knows alot about the problems and the fixes
Also as they say dont write off anything until you have thought it through and researched it

Excellent that you have already lost 5stone well done Speak to your team and see if they can resolve the issues and trying methods like Liz and Wanda suggested Good Luck

Love Jay xx

Hi Carol, when I was reading your post I thought I was reading part of my story. Have you been losing your voice? I've had terrible problems and unfortunately people naturally assume you have been abusing your band. In my case I lost 6 stone very quickly then maintained for approx 2 yrs ish. I was filled then emptied, filled again, emptied..you get the picture it was worse than yo yo dieting!

Anyway, my surgeon decided he would need to remove my band, this left me with a problem as like you I had started to gain weight. I was offered a bypass and I agreed to it, not cos I really desperately wanted one but what was the alternative? my weight had maintained with a band, without one how long would it take to gain all that weight again and more? I think thats the question you need to ask yourself, are you prepared to put on weight again> like me your probably used to the weight you are now and have forgotten how easy it is to gain...just a thought!!

Me? I went in hospital thursday and on friday they removed my band but due to excessive scar tissue couldn't do the bypass. I was devastated and now have to wait 3 months to heal, then despite not wanting another op, I WILL have my bypass cos the alternative is far worse..
Good luck woth whatever you decide but please think carefully, you've done soo well so far don;t blow it now..x

Me? I went in hospital thursday and on friday they removed my band but due to excessive scar tissue couldn't do the bypass. I was devastated and now have to wait 3 months to heal, then despite not wanting another op, I WILL have my bypass cos the alternative is far worse..

So sorry to hear this. That is why I simply had my band out a few weeks ago - I was far too ill (a year of very poor diet because I couldn't swallow anything much at all), let alone the scar tissue to contemplate having the conversion in the same op. I was told 3-6 months before more surgery. Not sure what I am going to have yet...

Seems to be quite a common problem.

it's really not common, I know lots of successes with both band and bypass. I went through the whole 'this is my fault' scenario and I get angry when people insist they know better than me and presume my band has been abused, yes I slipped up but you show me someone 3 years down the line who says they have NEVER slipped up and I will show you someone who isn't honest with themselves!!

People talk a lot about which op is right for your way of eating which is correct but I don't think much thought is given to anatomy, we are all very individual people and yes mostly our anotomy is the same but we aren't identical. I truly believe the bypass is the right op for me, but I was too scared or having what I thought at the time as being 'drastic' surgery and yet here I am 2 ops done and one more to go.....

We all have to make our own decisions in life and this decision is a biggy! theres only 1 person who knows whats right for you and thats yourself, surgeons know what could work but its down to us in the end..

I wish you luck in your decision but don't dismiss any more surgery, research and make a logical decision for yourself..xx

Back