• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

smoking and surgery

doublemum

Hi all
I have my pre op on march 17th & all being well band fitted in may, but i smoke! Not a huge amount a day but i'm still a smoker. Nothing has been mentioned to me as yet about smoking, no one has even asked if i do smoke. But i'm getting a bit worried that they may refuse me due to this?
Anyone else had to give up before op? I know its safer to give up a few weeks before the op which i will do, but should i start now?
Thanks in advance
Lorraine

If they haven't mentioned it to you so far, it would be rather mean of them to refuse the op now. My surgeon told me that if I'm still smoking when I come in for the op he will send me home again. But he didn't actually give me a time limit for stopping. I have my pre-op this week and was still smoking yesterday. I've tried repeatedly to stop and keep failing. I put a patch on last night and had horrible nightmares, which is apparantly a side effect, but I didn't want to smoke when I woke up and still don't, so fingers crossed I'll make it at least to the pre-op appointment without a cig.

I'm going to be honest with them and admit I've been struggling but that I will do my best not to smoke between now and the operation. I'm really hoping that once I have an actual date it will make it easier for me to abstain. At the moment it's all up in the air and that makes it hard for me to commit to quitting. Especially as I'm also trying hard to lose weight at the same time.

I think if you go to your pre-op with a firm plan to give up, perhaps telling them that you have an appointment with the quit nurse at your local surgery (ring them up) or that you have bought some nicotine replacement products etc, then they will hopefully be more sympathetic to you.

Let's face it, we're food addicts and they are asking us to give up our other addiction. They know it's difficult.

not all providors recomend to quit but if you can it would be better during the op also you will heal better if you were a non smoker. Good Luck x

Hi all
I have my pre op on march 17th & all being well band fitted in may, but i smoke! Not a huge amount a day but i'm still a smoker. Nothing has been mentioned to me as yet about smoking, no one has even asked if i do smoke. But i'm getting a bit worried that they may refuse me due to this?
Anyone else had to give up before op? I know its safer to give up a few weeks before the op which i will do, but should i start now?
Thanks in advance
Lorraine

Strange how pct vary. I was asked if I smoke ( not that I do) and yet I know of ppl that smoke right up too op and right after op ( not that I would recommend it) and yet some ppl are asked to stop/cut down altogether......

I would ring and check but I think you are doing the right thing trying to give up.

Im sure you aware that smokers can be considered higher risk because there may be an increased risk of surgical complications, a delay in the healing and additional scarring. Additionally, smoking may have a significant negative effect on anaesthesia and recovery from anaesthesia, with coughing and possibly increased bleeding.

Good luck x

Good luck on giving up, try not to worry about the effect it will have on your weight seeing as the surgery will make sure you lose it again!!

I've been given up for 11 months now, i'm hoping that it doesnt affect me with the surgery and healing because I was a smoker?!

i'm pretty certain they would rather you concentrate on stopping smoking than on losing a few more pounds before the op.
Infact I've just decided to forget about my pre-op goals of losing weight and just concentrate on not smoking and not gaining any more weight. It's just too hard to do both.

19 hrs without a cig now and I'm eating cake.

I wasnt asked about smoking, maybe because i was self pay?
I smoke about 30 a day, i have had operations before and not been affected too much with anaesthetic though. 2 hours after my band i was outside with a ciggy and a coffee. I know we're not all the same and i do enjoy my ciggies and dont want to stop smoking but can i suggest for you though the electronic cigarettes, my sister has bought one and has cut down to 2/3 a day, they seem to be quite expensive about £30 but if it cuts down on the cake too maybe it'll be worth it for you.
Good luck with your op xx

Like yorkiegirl said I think it would be cruel for them to let you get this far then as if you smoke, so they may not be bothered Hun,
My gp wouldn't even send the forms off to the bariatric team untill I had stopped smoking. I've been stopped since October 08, I used the patches (which I had on 24/7) and the nicorette inhalator and just stopped like that, I've never looked bk since!

You can do it Hun, it will only benerfit you, your health and your purse, lol xxx

Hi all
Thanks in advance
Lorraine
Hi , as a nurse and stop smoking advisor ( also ex smoker LOL ) it is advisable to stop pre op . Go to your local chemist, GP (Nurse) or contact your local PCT ,they should have groups and one2one support. you can also check out www.nhs.uk/gosmokefree. good luck

Kate x

Back