• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Has the band worked for anyone??

BlueDiamond

Hi All

Sorry not posted for a while, hope everyone is ok etc.

The reason for this posting really is to ask if the band has actually worked well for anyone without any faults etc. All I seem to be reading lately (or being told) is that the band/tubing faulty, or its not working for people etc, just beginning to question wether I should have opted for the bypass I was originally offered. Admittedly I didnt want all my plumbing changed about etc and would like to hear from anyone on here that the band has worked well for (once restriction is sorted etc)........Just guess I am worried a little as no one seems to have a good word to say about the band and the very few people I do know and talk to (and read on here) who have had the band have had nothing but trouble or not satisfied with what has transpired during the time they have had their band, I know everyone is an individual etc, but needless to say I just wanted to ask, hope no one minds - Hope all is well with you all.

All the best - MeJulie x x

Nice to see you, Ive been wondering where you had gotten to so its nice to see that youre still around.
Im a bypasser so obviously cant advise on a band, but my surgeon really didnt seem that hyped on bands. I know that he does them because he banded a lady the day I had my bypass, but when I went to see him the first time he pretty much said that the bypass is generally considered to be the way forward for a lot of people. He didnt want to talk about the sleeve as he personally didnt rate it that much, for me at least, and he said the band really is a lot of messing around, finding that 'sweet spot' etc and that by far the best option is a bypass and now that I have my bypass I have to agree with him.
The bypass ISNT easy, as you say, you have your insides changed around and for a lot of bypassers things do have to change lots (eating etc) but I personally have found it to be a brilliant thing and I would do it again in a heartbeat and recommend the bypass to people.
I have HUGE respect for banders though, the sheer willpower that it can take to stay on the straight and narrow in the early days is such a big thing, so those that rock their bands really do have my respect.
As you say also, there seems to be a lot of people having trouble with theirs and not just on this forum, be it trouble finding that 'sweet spot' or problems with the mechanics of the band etc I just know that if I had to make the choice again between a band and the bypass the bypass would win hands down.
As I say though, Im not a bander so my opinion doesnt really count for much.
Glad to have you back posting.
Take care
Steph xx

The stats are 10% of all banders will suffer minor problems such as port or tubing problems Julie, i was unlucky the 1st time, and something similar is happening to me yet again, i guess ive just been a unlucky bander but i do know plenty of people that havent had problems.

Nice to see you back on here x

Liz x

Hi
i have a band and i can honestly say i love my band.:D

the thing with the band is you have to get the right restriction and that can take time. also there are things that can go wrong but also the majority of these things can be put right.

i must admit the one thing i have been dissappointed about is that i didnt wake up one morning skinny!!

it takes time to loose the weight, i didnt put it on over nite so its not going to come off this way.

whatever surgery you have you will always hear about things that go wrong.

whatever you do, good luck

sallie

Hi Julie, good to hear from you.

I am a bypasser and only because I used to love sweet foods and needed something to severely restrict that! I love my bypass now, although wasn't too happy at first because I stalled from the 2nd to 5th week and thought the darn thing hadn't worked. I think there are good and bad points for each option, both require hard work and determination. I dont really believe that one is actually better than the other, it is purely which one is appropriate to each person's situation. I am sure there are folks who, once they get the correct retriction for themselves, do fine with a band. I hope some of them come along soon and give you a more informed reply.

Hi Julie

well I've not had a straightforward time with my band...mainly port problems.

had band fitted 25/5/09 and by 1/7/09 when I went for barium swallow, the port had turned onto its side.
had port replaced 16/7/09 (radiographer damaged it whilst trying to fill on 1/7/09) but by the time I was finally allowed to try a fill again in October (had to really fight for appointment :mad:), the port had moved again so couldn't do fill.

I have thankfully been taken over by NHS as my provider left me high and dry giving me zero aftercare even though I forked out £7000.

I saw NHS surgeon on 1/3/10 and he confirmed port will need correction again. I'm having a barium swallow tomorrow and they'll hopefully be able to check band is ok too. I haven't had a 'normal' fill yet and although I had a small fill under anaesthetic, the restriction can't be checked at that time because you're asleep and cant drink to test how it feels.

If I had my time again (and the extra £3000) I'd have chosen bypass...I'm hoping that when I'm fixed it'll be for the last time and can finally get down to losing my weight :)

good luck tomorrow yvonne, let me know how you get on x

Hi

My band is working for me. For motivation, I posted a thread the other day about the weight loss stats for 2 years for a band and I'm less than 5% away from the upper amount in less than a year. Bex has recently posted her progress pictures too.

Ive been very cautious with my fills etc, opting for less and as a result I have never been sick and nothing has ever been stuck (over time being sick a lot can cause the band to slip).

I was a volume eater and consumed huge amounts of pasta and rice - post band these are foods not recommended as they can swell in the pouch. I can honestly say that after a year of not eating them I dont miss them.

There a a few banders who were banded around the same time as me and yes some have had problems (yvonne with her flipped port and others being too full) but on the whole once the restriction is right and you are committed to your new way of eating (90% of the time - we aren't saints) and you can get into a habbit of exercising the weight will shift.

Maz x

I have a band, been real luckly no problems and 51/2 stone gone since Aug 09................My band is my best friend i just love it!!!!!!

I adore my band and wouldn't change it for the world!!! I have so far lost 7 stone 8 pounds in just under 9 months and couldn't be happier.

I was a couple of days away from having a bypass and got a serious case of cold feet - the thing that freaked me out the most was dumping syndrome and having 'choice' (of eating certain foods) away from me. Mind you, reading many of the stories on here it is obvious that many do not suffer from the dreaded dumping syndrome.

I'm glad i went for the band - I wanted help with portion control and as i've never been one to look at a certain type of food and see it as the 'enemy' and didn't want to start by having a bypass and never being consume things that would make me dump... I just wanted help with my portion control. and yes, i'm good I'd say 95% of the time, and maybe once a month, I'll replace a meal with a treat (i.e. like I did a month ago with the Haagen Dazs).

Best of luck with your choice and which ever you go for, I hope it makes you happy!

A xxx

Remember too that if you're searching on the internet about bands, the percentage of people with problems will be disproportionate to real life. It's the same with travel reviews. People are much more likely to write a bad one than a good one.

Hi, i'm still early days with my band, I had the op done privately with the Leeds Nuffield in November but so far I have lost over 3 stone, which i'm over the moon with. I've not had any problems to date, not been sick, not got anything stuck etc. All my fills have been straight forward and my band's only just under half full and I don't think it'll take much more for me to get to the 'sweet spot'. I didn't want the bypass due to the finality of it and it being a much bigger operation. My main issue was also portion sizes and this is what the band is helping me manage. To date it's the best decision i've ever made and i'm only just under half way to my goal, but feeling so much better :)

X

Back