• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Booked & Cancelled. Now booked new Consultation

Bear

Hi everyone. I joined back in May when I had booked a Gastric Band with the Hospital Group. I chickened out basically - thought I could do it on my own......... I can't.

However, what I have done is loads more research and I'm convinced the sleeve is for me. BUT - my BMI is too low. Have now booked two consultations for a couple of weeks time. One with Healthier Weight and one with Belgium Surgery Services.

Over the last 15 years my BMI has been anywhere between 23 (very briefly) to 42. I'm now 32 BMI, but it is slowly rising. Am fed up of the yo yo, and I need this 'tool' to help me on my way.

I keep reading all your posts and hope to get to know you all better as I get through this journey of mine - wherever it leads me.

Hello Bear!

I thought I wanted a band at first but then decided on the sleeve - I had my surgery on 6th of May this year and haven't regretted it for one second :) wishing you all the best for your journey xx

Hi, i did the same, booked a band last October, then cancelled due to worries about the band. I then contacted my local private hospital who also do WLS. I had a consultation earlier this year where i discussed the sleeve. My bmi is just under 32 at the present but has been higher and also alot lower for a few years. I was booked in for the sleeve in June but backed out. after thought I have decided I want to go ahead and am booked in for later in August.
Good luck with your journey.

Phew, I'm not alone in this then. Thanks Banana and Kar8858.
Kar8858, can I ask did you have a problem with getting the sleeve agreed as your bmi looks low too?

Hi bear, no i spoke about my weight problems, how my weight has been an issue since i was a child and how it effects me. I dont have any health issues at present but my dad had a heart by pass at 55 and suffers high blood pressure. My grandma suffered type 2 diabetes and mini strokes which were weight related. My weight has gone up 4 stones over the past six years and is still going up. I lost alot of weight in my early 20's when i was 14 stone and went down to under 9 stone. I kept the weight off for a few years but then the will power dwindled and I started excessive eating again.
My weight is a daily battle and im fed up with it being the main focus of my like. So i have decided to have the sleeve and the consultant agreed i would be suitable.
I also have a disc problem and my weight is effecting my role at work, in fact its only my job thats forced me not to gain any more weight.
You might also want to look at the WLS Group, i dont know about any of them as i didnt go through them.
Good luck x

Hi. I went with THG at a BMI of 33.5 and had the sleeve. Was originally looking into the band, but decided it was not for me. They agreed with my decision and eight months later i can honestly say it was the right decision for me, and I couldn't be happier. Don't worry about your BMI if you are paying private, they will do this if you ask.

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

Good luck with your journey!

Sam

Thank you.
Have booked another consultation, so I now have three over the next 6 weeks. Feels like I'm getting 3 quotes for building work! :)

Thanks everyone.

Kar8858 -I've got my first consultation tomorrow (13th) in Cardiff with the Belgium company. Then London on Thursday with Healthier Weight. Due to holidays etc, my last consultation isn't until 10th sept - and in London again.
The perils of living in the South West mean I've got a 200 miles round trip tomorrow and 400 miles on Thursday. Fun fun. Have booked a train for the sept appointment.

Any advice on questions to ask?

Oh crikey thats a lot of miles. Good luck tomorrow, i didnt have many questions as i had done alot of reading and most of my concerns were how i would feel after, which people on here have answered. Im glad im having my op locally though as after i wouldnt fancy travelling any distance. I had my pre op yesterday and was told it would be 4 weeks before i could hit the gym. Keep us updated with you consultations

I'm off on holiday on Monday, so just wanted to say good luck for your op on Tuesday. :)

My first two consultations went really well. Accepted by both providers and felt confident in them both too. However, my third consultation is still my preferred one - but have to wait 3 weeks for that now. So am going to concentrate on a cracking week in Spain.

Last edited:
Well it looks like I'm going with my third choice. I haven't had the consultation yet, but in consultation by email and the reviews on the surgeon I'm really confident. Possibly looking at a 21st Sept op date. Can't believe this is going to happen now.
Kar8858 how are you doing? I make you 7 days post op.

Ooooo Scrub that, just found your diary! Having a good read now!

I bear, doing great thanks, im a week post op today and have lost half a stone since surgery alone.
You will be tender afterwards but luckily no real pain and no wind.
Those few weeks will drag by if its like mine, I was so excited but it went on for ever.

Hi Bear
Welcome to the forum and good luck with your journey xx

Back