• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Do you diet pre band?

pollybree

Hi I was wondering if you have to do the milk diet if you are getting a band or is it just for bypass/sleeves..................?

No its not, most people (and some surgeons do not require it even with a band) are required to do a pre-op diet. Which one is recommended will depend on the provider. Not everyone is recommended the milk diet for each of the surgery types - a lot are given alternatives which follow low fat/low carb/low sugar and low calorie varieties, not everyone regardless of surgery follow the milk diet, but various alternatives.

Mine recommended a low fat, low carb, low calorie diet, but I personally chose to do the milk diet for 2 weeks. The length of time that you need to do it for, again will vary.

As with all of the pre-op diets its to prepare your liver for surgery, and this applies to bands as you're having laparoscopic surgery, if the liver is too big it could mean that you can't have surgery or they have to open you up.

length of time will depend on whether you're having SILS as well as your own situation and BMI. But more often than not, with a band surgery you can still expect to be doing a pre-op diet of some sort.

I had to do a pre op diet for a minimum of 7 days. I chose to start early, I did slim fast plus fruit and veg as recommended by my provider.

For some providers it depends on how much weight you have to lose as to how extreme (if any) the pre-op diet is. I had to do milk and yoghurt diet to shrink the liver (rather than necessarily lose weight) ... Having said that in two weeks I lost 13lbs and it was a great kick start to having my band :)

For some providers it depends on how much weight you have to lose as to how extreme (if any) the pre-op diet is. I had to do milk and yoghurt diet to shrink the liver (rather than necessarily lose weight) ... Having said that in two weeks I lost 13lbs and it was a great kick start to having my band :)

I am all for kick starting!! Cant bloody wait!! My next appointment is 4th June and I am 3lb off my weight loss target and if all goes well and I maintain the loss they will put me on the list for surgery woo hoo!! :)

Back