• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

band or sleeve

Greencheeks

I was thinking band initially because of the temporary nature but the more i think about it the commitment required for the sleeve makes me want to change to it, plus the weight loss is supposed to be better and last longer.

The band seems to have lots more complications and gets slated allot on here :eek:.

Hmmm not sure why?? am a very proud happy bander almost 9 stone down in a year...11 1/2 stone since the start of my wl journey

If you have the commitment to making it work all surgeries will do the trick....its a tool at the end of the day and the onus is on us to making the changes :)

Do your research find what suits your life style ...... wishing you all the best hunni..... good luck and welcome to a really fab forum x x x x loads of friendly peeps and lots of great info :)

I've been thinking the same, endless hours of Internet research and still not 100% sure what to go for, but from what I've read the band seems to be going out of favour a little and more surgeons recommending the sleeve for long term results without the fills, revisions etc xxx

Hmmm not sure why?? am a very proud happy bander almost 9 stone down in a year...11 1/2 stone since the start of my wl journey

If you have the commitment to making it work all surgeries will do the trick....its a tool at the end of the day and the onus is on us to making the changes :)

Do your research find what suits your life style ...... wishing you all the best hunni..... good luck and welcome to a really fab forum x x x x loads of friendly peeps and lots of great info :)

I'm not sure why either! wow thats great :)
i see lots of success stories for both types so its just choosing what i want.

I've been thinking the same, endless hours of Internet research and still not 100% sure what to go for, but from what I've read the band seems to be going out of favour a little and more surgeons recommending the sleeve for long term results without the fills, revisions etc xxx

LOL its not just me then!
i like the sleeve idea because when its done its final, the band is removable but if you want it removed then whats the point :p

My friend has a band and is constantly complaining about how easy it is to cheat and how she has to keep getting fills to stop her eating so much, something tells me she hasn't quite got the point lol x

My friend has a band and is constantly complaining about how easy it is to cheat and how she has to keep getting fills to stop her eating so much, something tells me she hasn't quite got the point lol x

Exactly! It's good you know somehow who has it so you can learn from it!
I also don't like the idea of being unable to swallow certain foods and stuff getting stuck, but the recovery time with a sleeve is allot longer.

Got a consultation on Thursday so will report back ^^

Bands can be difficult to live with and do have a high ratio of problems/revisions. However you can be a statistic on the positive and negative side of any wls you choose. It mostly depends on you but to some extent also luck.

glad you had such a good experience and your reached target so quickly!
do you have problems with dry food like bread?

Absolutely cant eat bread, rice or pasta, it would totally stick But thats good, because its a way of life now, and pre band I was a massive carboholic, I would eat bread all the time, especially fresh tiger bread with butter! I have dutch crispbreads, melba toast or ryvita now, I just tell people I'm low carbing, which is true x

Bread is my massive vice to!! :(

Had a lovely consultation and have decided on a sleeve just need to pay my deposit and book my surgeon consultation.

Initially I was set on the band because, in my mind, it's 'temporary'. But of course it isn't really - the only two reasons you'd have it out is if it goes wrong or if you choose to take it out, in which case you risk weight gain. What swung me away from band as a choice finally (I'm going to have the mini bypass) is that there seems to be a high complication rate long term i.e. over 5 years. Short-term it mostly seems to work great from what I read. For me, I didn't want to go with something where 10 years down the line I could be facing revision surgery or removal.

I ended up going for the sleeve!
I fly allot and if you have the band you have to have it emptied because of the high air pressure on long haul flights, so while your on holiday the band would be pretty useless.
I didn't want something that would be redundant for long periods while I waited for fills.

I ended up going for the sleeve!
I fly allot and if you have the band you have to have it emptied because of the high air pressure on long haul flights, so while your on holiday the band would be pretty useless.
I didn't want something that would be redundant for long periods while I waited for fills.

Wow - now I didn't know that about flying! That would be a total pain if you went away more than once a year.

Actually the faff with refilling and tinkering was another thing against it for me. I find it very hard to take time off work.

I considered the sleeve heavily. In the end I decided that an element of malabsorption was probably needed in my case on top of the restriction of a small stomach pouch. Belt and braces as it were! :D

I have flown 6 times long haul since my band 9 months ago, never once had a de fill? It can get a little tighter restriction for the first day, because of the altitude But honestly, no one in THG ever has advised that? Sleevers can get tighter restriction after travelling also I think Good luck with your surgeries everyone x x x

That's what my consultation told me so I'm not getting one.

Got to agree with daisy. Fly long haul regularly. Last time BA business class. No way was unit tucking in to the 5 star food and snaks. Was totally fine. Never felt restriction on a flight

But....I'm sure this alone would not deter anyone from a band

Good luck with whatever you choose x

I have a sleeve and my god believe me once in the air it's all going on...I tried to eat the first time but threw up so now I just drink water and hope for the best. On saying that I can't eat when I'm on the ground so no difference really!!

Back