• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

band.portion size.....confused!

jlb5686

hiya guys im realy confused and a bit lost. I had a band a week ago and everythings been going fine. well today I feel like my appitite is back with a vengence. im only eating small amouts at a time but its not filling me up. squash is going down like normal.it was hurtong to drink small amounts but not anymore. half a bowl of soup is just enough but not realy. im so confused.
I dont seem to have an appetite in the mornings. even squash doesnt appeal but by mid afternoon its completely dif. I think ive had about 1000cals today.
sorry for my big moan.just realy need some experienced banders to help.
thanx x

Hi there hunni.... i can only speak from my own experience. I was banded back in feb and as i remember the first few weeks i actually wasn't hungry ... for me it kicked back in about week 4/5 but it has to be mind over matter at this stage until your fully healed, then of course you will get fills which hopefully will help. Please don't be tempted to go mad, stick to your providers rules ... if your really concerned give them a call in the morning..... try and rid your head of those hunger demons lol as i remember i was on 300 ml of strained soup to begin with, sipped slowly from a teaspoon over the course of 20 mins and that satisfied me back then ......hope some of that helps hunni :) hang in there. Unfortunately it is very much a battle of wills until back on solids x x xx gl

thanx. im guna try keep busy today to stop myself feeling hungry. I never expected my appitite to come back so quickly :(

You aren't alone. I have hungry days. And yesterday was one of them! Today I've not been. Swings and roundabouts I guess.

I get through it by saying ok I had breakfast at 10. I'm hungry at 12. But not meant to be until 2. So I have to wait until 2. (I literally clock watch till I get to 2. But it works!)

Try something similar. Or perhaps increase your protein? Xx

Oh Jib. This is all new territory. I am a hungry Horace, always have been. I was banded in August and my hunger kicked in around three weeks and it was hellish. If you are really hungry, eat little and often, try not to eat big portions. My dietitian said everything I eat at one sitting should fit into a muller light yoghurt pot. I just don't manage this at mealtimes and a tea plate is brimming. I tend to snack these days rather than sit down to a meal. It helps keep my portions down ..

If you avoid carby food,and eat lots of protein it will keep you full for longer. That is a scientific fact. The liberte hi protein yoghurts 3% fat ones are a life saver for me. I also have some crispy bacon over cabbage or a leafy salad. Bacon and a wee tad of blue cheese on the salad is really satisfying. I am celiac so don't do bread biscuits etc. I find if I do eat food with sugar or carby bulky stuff I get starving. I have smoked mackerel or tuna mayo on salad too. These are my daily staples. I also like cauliflower and broccoli with tuna mayo mixed in or a stir fry with tuna. Or cauliflower and broccoli with three laughing cow lights and a tad of strong tasting grated cheese. All low carb. I also eat eggs many mornings. A cheese or ham omelette. Or a wee cold meat platter with a bit of chicken and Han, tomatoes, celery and cucumber for breakfast. That keeps me full for hours. If I eat porridge or cereal I am starving a couple of hours later. I think all our bodies are different. My eating restrictions are a bit harsh but being celiac I have had to find alternatives to bread products and cereal etc from way before surgery so I have had loads of practice. If you are a serious bread eater and like a wee biscuit, ignore what I have said but if you are a bit of a carnivore and love leafy veg you could try it

But....there are others on here who calorie count and eat a bit of everything whatever they fancy and the do absoloutely brilliantly amazing. Crystal is one of them.

My dietitian is on the same page as me and we both pulled Atkins bars out of our handbags at my last appointment. She is stick thin but uses the bars as they are low carb and high protein and she uses them when she goes to the gym or does not have time to sit down for a meal as they are packed full of vitamins...they are of course highly processed. But they are my treat instead of chocolate or biscuits and they don't spike my blood sugar.

I think if you are a real hungry girl, low carb high protein might stave off those pesky hunger pangs

Also, your first fill might not give you the restriction you are looking for, it sometimes takes a few. I had my second fill a few weeks ago and now feel a bit of restriction. I think one more might be perfect but I'm happy to use a wee bit of willpower along with my band to let me eat half way like a normal person lol

Good luck babe. This is an amazing tool we have and keep with this forum, you will get loads of opinions and support. At times this forum is the only thing that has kept me sane on. This journey xxx

Back