• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

band question

I have had 2 fills...5.5mls in a 9ml band and i have no restriction.
I'm going for my 3rd fill in 2 weeks.

Which provider are you with? Are your fills done under xray?

Hi Julie, im with THG and I have to wait 4 wks between fills, have my 2nd one on 2nd Sept and im telling you im well ready for it, I wont even tell you how much I ate last night it was shocking, smaller than what I would have ate before but more than what I should be eating now, I was just so bloody hungry :sigh:

me too my next fill is tomorrow at 9 15 i have a 14ml band with 7 mls in it i do have some restrictions i cant eat and drink together and i have a chew my food a little bit more than b4 my surgery but im struggling to loose been the same for two and a bit weeks now gone up a couple and back down a couple of pounds so im looking foward to my fill! the most frustrating thing is to keep telling people until the restriction is right its harder for me to loose weight i feel like a failure at the mo keep telling them!! for people who arnt over weight and dont know about the surgery and how the band works its difficult for them to understand!! grrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

Hi everyone

Maybe because I have always felt restricted but I really struggle to get my head around this feeling no restriction business. Just having the band is going to provide some restriction, we have had a new pouch made from the top part of our stomach. Each fill obviously tightens this but can you honestly say you can eat what you did before - ie actually no restriction or do you just feel you could eat less.

Im going for my second fill on 1st Sep, I had my op almost 4 months ago and only after 11 weeks had my first fill.

Like I said maybe its because I havent encountered this but I just dont get it. Explain some more please, I know what Coralie eats as she posts on the menu thread but what can the rest of you eat that makes you feel you have no restriction?

Maz x

I feel your pain Kate...I'm so ready to feel restriction! :)

Hi Coralie, I cant tell you how much I want to be able to feel restriction, my weight loss has dropped dramatically this last 2 weeks so I need another kick start, hopefully this 2nd fill will do it for me :fingerscrossed:

hi mazza, i can virtually eat most things when i eat a small portion im absolutely still starving in my mind restriction would mean that a childrens plate of dinner would fill me up with no more room for anything to be honest my restriction is coming from the fact i paid £7000 thats what is keeping me on the straight and narrow at the min

Julie, your explanation of child's plate portions were spot on for me too!
I serve myself a kiddie-sized meal and am still starving marvin after...I just have to have strong words with myself to refrain from eating the contents of the fridge!
There have been a couple of times post op that i have over endulged and although i felt full...not dissimilar to pre-op...know what i mean?
If i could just feel restriction to the point of full from eating a kid's sized meal i would be a happy bunny.

:)

Hi both, I was told to use a childs plate but some of my plates are the same size as my daughters Barbie plate and it would depend on what I was eating if I use that size plate. I cant and have never been able to finish what I serve, which isnt a lot. I try and serve things that take time to eat, we have to eat slower anyway. My favourite meal is a handfull of protein ie king prawns, salmon or quorn and two handfulls of a mixed leave salad - add cherry tomatos and cucumber plus balsamic vinegar and there is lots of chewing going on. Each meal takes me 20 minutes approx to eat, after this time I am full and leave whatever is left. I put my knife and fork down between mouth fulls too. Cazbandy has previously said she was told that if your meal is still warm when you are finishing it you are eating too quicky. It takes 20 minutes for our brain to realise we are full.

You may all know this and be following this but if not give it a try.

Maz

Mazza - you are very lucky that you have this restriction. There is a woman on you tube that has never had a fill and lost all her weight and more. SO there are people that don't need fills and get restriction.

I have just had my 3rd fill and now have restriction. Until then it was not just that I could eat larger portions, but I could eat all types of food without even having to chew much. This including eating the BAND way. Small bites, chewing lots and taking 20 mins plus to eat a meal. This means that food was just dropping through the band and the pouch wasn't even being used. Until you get the right restriction the pouch will not get full.

Now, I have to really chew my food, can't have bread, and feel full after a small sized meal.

restriction is different for everyone as we are all unique, it just takes time to get the right amount of fill fine tuned for the individual patient, and yes it does happen for some quicker than others, and it also depends on the providors and how much they put in with each fill, some only put in o.5 to a mil which to most people that wont make much difference to them as its usually just a top up for what the band has asperated. it is difficult and frustrating for alot of people which is totally understandable.

liz x

Last edited:
Hi both, I was told to use a childs plate but some of my plates are the same size as my daughters Barbie plate and it would depend on what I was eating if I use that size plate. I cant and have never been able to finish what I serve, which isnt a lot. I try and serve things that take time to eat, we have to eat slower anyway. My favourite meal is a handfull of protein ie king prawns, salmon or quorn and two handfulls of a mixed leave salad - add cherry tomatos and cucumber plus balsamic vinegar and there is lots of chewing going on. Each meal takes me 20 minutes approx to eat, after this time I am full and leave whatever is left. I put my knife and fork down between mouth fulls too. Cazbandy has previously said she was told that if your meal is still warm when you are finishing it you are eating too quicky. It takes 20 minutes for our brain to realise we are full.

You may all know this and be following this but if not give it a try.

Maz
hi mazza, will give it a try i def dont chew my food enough, also my meal is always warm when i finish.

Julie, your explanation of child's plate portions were spot on for me too!
I serve myself a kiddie-sized meal and am still starving marvin after...I just have to have strong words with myself to refrain from eating the contents of the fridge!
There have been a couple of times post op that i have over endulged and although i felt full...not dissimilar to pre-op...know what i mean?
If i could just feel restriction to the point of full from eating a kid's sized meal i would be a happy bunny.

:)
hi coralie, i have overindulged a few times myself i guess its hard breaking the habit of a lifetime, like you if i could feel full from eating a kids sized meal i would be a happy bunny, im going to book a 3rd fill for end of sept i will see how i get on next four weeks with portion control!

hi girls i have my first fill booked for thursday but im not sure if i need it i am eating from a childs plate and am full afterwards probably can eat all that is on the plate now but no where near what i could eat b4 i have had 1 episode of being `sick` i didnt chew properly and a mouthful of food hit me like a brick omg that lesson was painful but a learning curve all the same!!!! i am losing 2-3lbs a week still so i dont know whether to go and have my first fill or wait another month till the clinic is back in newcastle (end of september) those of you with wlsg do you think wendy would decide on the day! im all confused xxxheather

Hi Heather

Have replied on your thread too. Go for your apppointment and get weighed etc but you probably wont get a fill, I didnt for my first follow up - just didnt need one. Wendy will decide, hope it goes well

They will ask you a number of question sat your fill and from that they will know whether you need another fill. Good Luck!!!

Back