• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Band removal

fbscpa

Hi all,

I am having my band removed on the NHS due to slippage. It is gutting but after 2 years of constant problems with it I guess it will be a relief in the end. The NHS won't fund any further surgery and I can't afford so that's not an option. Trying to stay positive that I'll ever get to a healthy weight but it's not easy! :cry:

Anyway, I just wanted some more info on what to expect from the removal surgery. Will I need to do a pre-op diet? How does eating work after surgery - is it the weeks of liquid/mushy/solids etc again? How long does recovery take?

Sorry for the questions - there is so much info about the actual gastric band surgery but not so much about what the removal procedure involves.

Mine slipped too a couple of months ago but they unbuckled it for me and are going to rebuckle it again in Feb and see if that works. I paid privately for my band but it seems the NHS has taken me on now which I'm over the moon about. Can they try that with you rather than to remove it?

I had my band removed and got instant relief from terrible reflux and coughing. I think I did liquid for a day then soft foods but was eating normally by a week out or before - good luck x

I had mine removed 7 weeks ago as an emergency. It had slipped and cut off the blood supply to my stomach. Like you I had problems.

My liver was nicked during initial surgery in August 14. By March 15 my band as leaking and port and tubbing replaced. Band was removed end October when I started to foam an the mouth and roll about in agony squealing like a stuck pig! Lol. It was not a pretty sight!!!

I was told to take food slowly for a while - in hospital I was nil by mouth for 8 days. When I got out I done liquids for about 5 days then soft for another few. I felt more restricted after the op than when I had my band and really only started on bigger portions about four or five weeks post op. Actually I am on an all inclusive holiday right now and have gone back to my old ways of wanting to try everything and having three courses - and I am
Paying for it with pain at my band area so have cut down

Just like the band pain wise. Only had morphine when I came round from surgery and required no further meds afterward. I was exhausted when I came out. More so than my two previous surgeries. I think that was the nil by mouth and the fact that I had nercrotic flesh in my gut and was bombarded with antibiotics and had been in surgery twice in three days

I'm actual glad my band is gone. But really terrified of weight gain. But I was gaining weight while my band was in

Good luck xxxx

Hi
im having mine out in January the NHS wouldn't fund me further either so I am taking another loan and converting to a sleeve
Just wanted say good luck x

Back