• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Band to Bypass Booked!

J.Hogan

Ive had to be extremely careful about this one because the first time I went for gastric surgery caused me so much pain and regret - a mistake I did not want a repeat of.

The band clearly did not agree with my body and I had initially asked for a sleeve but my surgeon here in Scotland at the time advised me to have a band instead. After listening to his advice and deciding that he was the expert and knew what he was talking about, I decided I had better go with the band.

(I must point out that I know of many people who are using the band and have so far had positive outcomes).

Forums and Google have helped in searching for my next and final surgeon, which I am glad to have found. I found them to be very honest, open, considerate of my thoughts.

Im flying to Brussels then train to Bruges for my consultation, which is at 2pm on 8th April then surgery is the next morning, checking into the hospital at 7am. My husband will be traveling with me. I couldnt face this op on my own.

I've just told my boss who has been really supportive. I'm lucky.

If anyone is going for surgery soon, I just want to wish you all the best of luck. Hopefully I will be joining you all on your weight loss journey

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi and welcome!

Good luck with your revision surgery, I assume you are having the band removed and conversion in one go?

Hi Mazza, Yes I am indeed. I see from your "surgery type" you had a band in 2009. Is it still working fine for you?

I had mine leak and i had constant vomitting and I also had my port refitted. I was tired of all these operations and I just wanted something permanent.

The band just did not want me :-(

i wish you luck. I too have a band which they think is leaking and I'm currently having investigations for H.pylori or ulcers due to chronic acid, but my band has changed my life :) I hope that your revision surgery goes well - :)

Goodness - I hope you get better really soon. I personally found the band really REALLY hard work and unpleasant.

I actually had wanted a sleeve but the surgeon at the time said I would suit a band better.

Im so excited about going to Belgium for my op though.

How are you finding ur diet at the moment?

Good luck with your revision ... You may want to change your stats ... Sure you don't want a bmi of 10 ;) x

Welcome & good luck, few of us revisioners about, I travelled to France & it's best thing I've done ..... acid reflux with gastric plication was the pits x

Goodness - I hope you get better really soon. I personally found the band really REALLY hard work and unpleasant.

I actually had wanted a sleeve but the surgeon at the time said I would suit a band better.

Im so excited about going to Belgium for my op though.

How are you finding ur diet at the moment?

Hiya... it seems there are a few of us banders that are having revision surgery to sleeve/bypass...

I saw the hospital psychologist to assess my suitability on Monday 10th march ...she actually said that at the NHS unit that is treating me, that they are taking out more bands than they are putting in ....Kinda made me feel less of a minority.

My band was fine for many years (banded in 2004) and is a fantastic TOOL... but like any tool , once it is broken its not going to help do the job any more..

Mine has been broken for a few years now and my weight is slowly rising...:sigh:

but there is light at the end of the tunnel hopefully as long as they don't move the qualifying goal posts for revision or im fooked ..:cry:

Hi, I just noticed who your surgeon is !!!

Good Luck for your operation. Please let me know how you get on

Hello and welcome. Good luck with your revision surgery, I hope I never need it!

Some people have had awful complications with their bands, I wonder if they'll eventually stop fitting them.

Back