• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

THG band to MGB in Belgium

bex.wils

Hi
Hoping for help, advice, info etc.
I posted 5 years ago, banded October 2014. Band slipped 2017. The hospital group have gone into liquidation and are now under Transform, after sending a complaint letter as nothing over the 3 banded years was ever simple or straight forward I was told they could help for a fee otherwise I was out of my guarantee period. Nhs competed a barium swallow X-ray as goodwill to confirm the band is not in position, I’ve really no idea where it is, assuming up around my asophagus.
I asked for help or at least advice from the nhs I have a follow up appt this Monday 14th January, not expecting great things. If anything.
I’ve been in contact with Frederik in Belgium to discuss a conversion to mini gastric bypass by Dr Chris, hoping to proceed in April just need to organise finances.
I’d love to hear of anyone’s experiences, opinions, advice, anything really as I feel I’m just stuck. Slowly gaining weight, becoming more and more uncomfortable and generally unhappy with how I feel and look. However on the other hand ever other aspect of my life is booming, job, partner etc. Couldn’t ask for more.

Thanks in advance

Rebecca

Hi Rebecca, I had my sleeve Feb 2018 with Dr Chris in Belgium and I don't regret it at all. Best money I've ever spent. Hopefully the NHS appointment will be helpful. I'm happy to answer any questions about going off to Belgium for surgery.

Hi Rebecca, I had my sleeve Feb 2018 with Dr Chris in Belgium and I don't regret it at all. Best money I've ever spent. Hopefully the NHS appointment will be helpful. I'm happy to answer any questions about going off to Belgium for surgery.
Thank you Kim, much appreciated. Did you travel alone? How long were you in hospital for? Did you fly or Eurostar?
Thank you x

I travelled with my partner via Eurostar. I booked a regular ticket going and first class coming back to make sure I had a comfortable seat with loads of room. Travel was okay and there was a taxi guy waiting with a sign right at the bottom on the stairs as you got off the Eurostar. I was in the hospital 2 nights and one night in the hotel before the surgery and one night after. The hotel and hospital are pretty comfy. My partner went for walks and was able to find food easy enough. The hotel do an excellent breakfast that I wasn't able to sample but my partner thoroughly enjoyed. There was wifi in the hospital which was a nice touch but I slept most of the time I was in there. Its a simple walk from the hotel to the hospital, not even 5 minutes.

Hi, sorry I can't help or advise I'm still preop, but good luck on the 14th, I hope the NHS can help you x

Hi, nhs weren't helpful, my gpnhad sent a letter to the bariatric team who had previously advised that a barium swallow would be required. Emailed 28th November without a response or chase. She said give them 2 weeks to chase up. However I've been thinking if the NHS do step up and help I assume they will just fund the band removal rather than the conversion.
Spoke to the bank about a loan for Brussels etc so feeling much happier about that but just feel like something is stopping me booking it?! Flights only £47 too!
Maybe a trip to the bank Saturday to confirm after a few more days of thinking it over , and advice or thoughts are welcome x

Hi, nhs weren't helpful, my gpnhad sent a letter to the bariatric team who had previously advised that a barium swallow would be required. Emailed 28th November without a response or chase. She said give them 2 weeks to chase up. However I've been thinking if the NHS do step up and help I assume they will just fund the band removal rather than the conversion.
Spoke to the bank about a loan for Brussels etc so feeling much happier about that but just feel like something is stopping me booking it?! Flights only £47 too!
Maybe a trip to the bank Saturday to confirm after a few more days of thinking it over , and advice or thoughts are welcome x
What do you think is stopping you booking it ? X

Flying might be a bit more painful post op than Eurostar so keep that in mind.

What are you concerned about regarding booking? Do you have someone to go with you or will you go alone?

Flying might be a bit more painful post op than Eurostar so keep that in mind.

What are you concerned about regarding booking? Do you have someone to go with you or will you go alone?

Thanks Kim, not thought of that to be honest, I’ve emailed Frederik to advise I’m hoping to get it done 18th April flying out 17th, I’ve asked if the taxi trip from airport to hotel is included as I don’t know how far it is from the hotel so maybe he would suggest if flying is not suitable.

Yes I have my partner coming with me, hes looking forward to doing the tourist thing while I’m in hospital!
Not sure what’s stopping me, probably the financing part of it. I’ve not had a loan before and maybe feel it’s quite a big scary thing but on the other hand I know I’ll be able to do it, also due some inheritance that I’d like to use towards. So not sure. General nerves?

You'll be in great hands with their team. I felt really comfortable with them and this was my only surgery experience.

I guess maybe have a list of reasons why you want to have the surgery in April. Do you feel you can wait longer and lose some more weight without it? Are the food limitations stressing you out. It is very different to having a band but your life doesn't have to change drastically is you only want to lose a small amount of weight. My surgery twin got a mini bypass the same time as me and right now she can eat anything and everything and she does. She lost 4 stone just from restriction but now her weight loss has stopped because of food choices.

Just note not everyone dumps post surgery. You will still need to make the choice whether to eat healthy foods. The bypass will just offer you restriction but you can game it by eating sliders.

How was your food control with the band? Do you feel ready for the initial food limitations?

Hi Kim thank you for your response and queries, really made me think!!
I’ve written some bits down and I think it probably just comes down to I really want this to work and get on with my life again as I feel me weight stops me doing things and looking forward to what’s planned, ie holidays. I’ll be too hot, legs will rub, feel awful in my swimwear and clothes. It may sound menial I know. But as I’ve been slim at 11st there’s nothing that can compare to how it feels, everything is effortless.
So reasons why,
Curb my hunger!! It rules my day! It’s constant and hard work battling. I drink 3L of water everyday as hunger and thirst feel similar.
Feel and look better-as above
Be able to regain control.
To be healthy and happy

I don’t feel like I can lose weight end of. My hunger is unbelievable. I’ve had polycystic ovaries diagnosed at 17 years old and have been following slimming world ever since. I lose weight, I regain and then repeat. I don’t want that life. I want to take control as awful as it sounds of being such a greedy bugger.
Food limitations don’t stress me really. I make good choices and enjoy it but it’s the amount it takes to fill me up! 12 inch dinner plate full. I like to eat out on a weekend, usually Thai or Italian. I’m sure I would be ok to have. Astrater as a main and still feel like I’ve had a treat. As long as I feel satisfied I’ll be happy.
With the band I ate normal food but just less of it. The slip happened as I was eating a jacket potato, following a wisdom tooth removal!

Initial food limitations I don’t actually know an awful lot about. I’m assuming something like 2 weeks liquid, 2 weeks soft and then slowly introduce solids but this information has t been provided yet?

Thanks again Kim you’re really helping

Hi Kim thank you for your response and queries, really made me think!!
I’ve written some bits down and I think it probably just comes down to I really want this to work and get on with my life again as I feel me weight stops me doing things and looking forward to what’s planned, ie holidays. I’ll be too hot, legs will rub, feel awful in my swimwear and clothes. It may sound menial I know. But as I’ve been slim at 11st there’s nothing that can compare to how it feels, everything is effortless.
So reasons why,
Curb my hunger!! It rules my day! It’s constant and hard work battling. I drink 3L of water everyday as hunger and thirst feel similar.
Feel and look better-as above
Be able to regain control.
To be healthy and happy

I don’t feel like I can lose weight end of. My hunger is unbelievable. I’ve had polycystic ovaries diagnosed at 17 years old and have been following slimming world ever since. I lose weight, I regain and then repeat. I don’t want that life. I want to take control as awful as it sounds of being such a greedy bugger.
Food limitations don’t stress me really. I make good choices and enjoy it but it’s the amount it takes to fill me up! 12 inch dinner plate full. I like to eat out on a weekend, usually Thai or Italian. I’m sure I would be ok to have. Astrater as a main and still feel like I’ve had a treat. As long as I feel satisfied I’ll be happy.
With the band I ate normal food but just less of it. The slip happened as I was eating a jacket potato, following a wisdom tooth removal!

Initial food limitations I don’t actually know an awful lot about. I’m assuming something like 2 weeks liquid, 2 weeks soft and then slowly introduce solids but this information has t been provided yet?

Thanks again Kim you’re really helping

That's really considered. Seems like you want to do the surgery.

You stomach will be satisfied with smaller amounts but fighting head hunger is still a big part of post op life. I definitely prefer head hunger to physical hunger but I can't be false and not tell you how difficult it is. I've cried because I've wanted to eat more than the really tiny portions my stomach would allow. Having a smaller stomach really is a mental fight.

I do understand your wanting to be slimmer and reasons. I don't think they are trivial.

Hopefully the funding part doesn't stress you too much. My surgery was the best thing I've ever spent money on.

I’ve been through the head hunger and feeling like I want to cry as I want to finish the meal in front of me.
I think I can get over that like I did prior when my band was my best friend, I ate out of bowls only so it didn’t look like a sorry amount on my plate!!
It will be learning all over again what I can have and can’t, how much of one thing I can tolerate etc.
All threads I’ve read on here about Belgium have said it’s the best thing they’ve done and would highly recommend and as we all know, other that this lovely little forum there is no advice anywhere else readily available to assist in making these life changing decisions so I trust that it will all be totally worth while.
I’ve emailed Frederik this monrning to confirm my conversion surgery to have my slipped band removed and converted to mini gastric bypass.
I’m not set on how I’m going to travel there yet he advised of an extra £100 taxi fare if I fly into Charleroi as this is an hour away from the hotel. Flights are £45 and euro start is £150 each with a change at Leeds and London.
Kim how did you pay? How do you do the transcript thing? Is there a website?
Also following your sleeve donyou need to have any injections or anything going forward or do you just take vitamins?

Thanks
Rebecca x

I’ve gone from positive to feeling so terrible in 12 minutes!
I didn’t tell anybody about my band procedure 5 years ago. I told my close friends once I hadn’t lost the weight abs I was skeptical I was going to lose anything.
I’ve just told one of my friends and got a quote unhelful response. Basically saying take control of yourself and get in the gym I know it’s hard especially working long hours but at least you will have taken control and be doing something yourself. I feel terrible now. I wish I hadn’t bothered. I either pay to get the band removed or pay and get mgb to help for the rest of my life.
:(

I am sorry that your friend wasn’t helpful. Don’t think some people fully understand our addiction. It not as simple as going to the gym. You have made you plan try not to let people influence you otherwise because they don’t have all the information you do.
Deep breath, reassess and move forward...you got this!!!!

I’ve been through the head hunger and feeling like I want to cry as I want to finish the meal in front of me.
I think I can get over that like I did prior when my band was my best friend, I ate out of bowls only so it didn’t look like a sorry amount on my plate!!
It will be learning all over again what I can have and can’t, how much of one thing I can tolerate etc.
All threads I’ve read on here about Belgium have said it’s the best thing they’ve done and would highly recommend and as we all know, other that this lovely little forum there is no advice anywhere else readily available to assist in making these life changing decisions so I trust that it will all be totally worth while.
I’ve emailed Frederik this monrning to confirm my conversion surgery to have my slipped band removed and converted to mini gastric bypass.
I’m not set on how I’m going to travel there yet he advised of an extra £100 taxi fare if I fly into Charleroi as this is an hour away from the hotel. Flights are £45 and euro start is £150 each with a change at Leeds and London.
Kim how did you pay? How do you do the transcript thing? Is there a website?
Also following your sleeve donyou need to have any injections or anything going forward or do you just take vitamins?

Thanks
Rebecca x

Great that you experienced the head hunger with the band. I'm not trying to talk you out of it because like I said its the best money I've ever, EVER spent but I want to challenge you to think really hard about it because its not all easy.

Travel there isn't the big deal as you'll be in well spirits. I think travel back I'd prefer to be on a Eurostar rather than an airplane. You'll be dealing with anesthic, feeling crappy, your new stomach might still be sickly and being in a high pressure airplane and the long airport waits and queues to stand in might be too much. People do it though so not saying its not doable. There are pros and cons for each way. Going back from Brussels is there the same two changes of train?

I paid my deposit with Currency Direct and the full amount with Transferwise. I changes company as my research at the time showed Transferwise gave the better conversion rate.

I don't understand what you mean about transcript?

They sent me home with a bag full of injections and a few days supply of the omeprazole for my stomach acid. I think there were some paracetamol tabs in there too. It might be worth reading the pages of my diary for those first few days back from them. I'll try and find it and insert a link. I really was detailed about the whole hospital process.

Don't buy your omeprazole from the pharmacy in Brussels its super expensive. When I got back I took the forms Dr Chris sent me home with to my GP and got a prescription for them and got them here in the UK on my prescription card. I bought a year prescription card and all my meds are free for a year. This works out cheaper tham paying for them monthly as I am on prescription multi-vitamins, omeprazole and calcium+ D3.

Where I describe my experience with the hospital and after surgery
https://www.wlsurgery.com/threads/slimkims-belgian-vsg-14-02-2018.162217/page-6

I’ve gone from positive to feeling so terrible in 12 minutes!
I didn’t tell anybody about my band procedure 5 years ago. I told my close friends once I hadn’t lost the weight abs I was skeptical I was going to lose anything.
I’ve just told one of my friends and got a quote unhelful response. Basically saying take control of yourself and get in the gym I know it’s hard especially working long hours but at least you will have taken control and be doing something yourself. I feel terrible now. I wish I hadn’t bothered. I either pay to get the band removed or pay and get mgb to help for the rest of my life.
:(
Bless you, this is your life and your health, people who haven’t suffered like us, yo yo dieting etc simply don’t understand, you must do what’s right for you and only you, you will have to have B12 injections every 12 weeks for life, vitamins and minerals, iron and calcium every day too but it’s a small price to pay for a healthy you xx

Great that you experienced the head hunger with the band. I'm not trying to talk you out of it because like I said its the best money I've ever, EVER spent but I want to challenge you to think really hard about it because its not all easy.

Travel there isn't the big deal as you'll be in well spirits. I think travel back I'd prefer to be on a Eurostar rather than an airplane. You'll be dealing with anesthic, feeling crappy, your new stomach might still be sickly and being in a high pressure airplane and the long airport waits and queues to stand in might be too much. People do it though so not saying its not doable. There are pros and cons for each way. Going back from Brussels is there the same two changes of train?

I paid my deposit with Currency Direct and the full amount with Transferwise. I changes company as my research at the time showed Transferwise gave the better conversion rate.

I don't understand what you mean about transcript?

They sent me home with a bag full of injections and a few days supply of the omeprazole for my stomach acid. I think there were some paracetamol tabs in there too. It might be worth reading the pages of my diary for those first few days back from them. I'll try and find it and insert a link. I really was detailed about the whole hospital process.

Don't buy your omeprazole from the pharmacy in Brussels its super expensive. When I got back I took the forms Dr Chris sent me home with to my GP and got a prescription for them and got them here in the UK on my prescription card. I bought a year prescription card and all my meds are free for a year. This works out cheaper tham paying for them monthly as I am on prescription multi-vitamins, omeprazole and calcium+ D3.

Where I describe my experience with the hospital and after surgery
https://www.wlsurgery.com/threads/slimkims-belgian-vsg-14-02-2018.162217/page-6

Hi,

Feeling much better after the weekend. Kept myself low key and just refocused on what’s what.
Kim, started your diary earlier, I’m at your post op now, great reading about your experiences what you packed, ate, the app etc
Have confirmed date of 16th April with Frederik, I’ll fly 15th coming home 20th
Not sure if they will want me to do lsd as I can’t lose much weight as they will only operate if bmi is 30 upwards. I’m at that now so will see what instructions or advice I get from them this week
Rebecca x

Back