• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Band with THG...think I'm going to do it!

Hello!

I found this forum last year when I went to Dolan Park for a band consultation. I wasn't really in a position to go ahead at the time.

I'm heavier now than I was then and I'm about to start a PGCE in September. I can fund it now and I think it's time! I have failed every diet I've tried.

Lost weight well on Cambridge but it went back on and left me with awful restrict/binge habits, weight watchers points didn't agree with me, slimming world went well until I started losing 0.5 when I'd been success expressing, maintaining or even gaining too easily....ultimately I have realised I'm going to have an issue with food and my weight my entire life if I don't take it in hand now. I'm hoping a band will be the tool that motivates and helps me along because I can't bear the thought of feeling like this for the rest of my life!

I'm going for the consultation on Sunday. I don't know how far away a date would be, but I'm moving house to be close to uni in Norwich in August and then starting my PGCE September 7th so I have lots going on. My only worry is that I obviously would like to get it done sooner rather than later, and I won't have a break until Christmas once semester starts as I don't get half terms - I'm not sure how much of a break I'd need before I am able to be able to do these things.

My BMI is under 40 (or at least, it was the last time I checked!), I think around 39 but I'm not sure. No idea how long it will take to lose the weight - there seems to be huge variations...hoping to find out lots from this site!

Hi donkeysaurusrex!

Good luck on your journey :)

It sounds like you are being proactive and positive about your future what with the PGCE and surgery.

I feel for you. I too have tried many diets and was actually left with quite a severe case of binge eating disorder after one of them, which prevailed for ten or so years. I am in recovery from it now luckily.

I'm afraid I can't help with timescales as I'm going the NHS route and I guess these things vary loads, so I will leave it to one of the many helpful other forum members to answer that one.

Good luck! xxx

Hi donkeysaurusrex!

Good luck on your journey :)

It sounds like you are being proactive and positive about your future what with the PGCE and surgery.

I feel for you. I too have tried many diets and was actually left with quite a severe case of binge eating disorder after one of them, which prevailed for ten or so years. I am in recovery from it now luckily.

I'm afraid I can't help with timescales as I'm going the NHS route and I guess these things vary loads, so I will leave it to one of the many helpful other forum members to answer that one.

Good luck! xxx

Aww thank you! I am in a good place right now, things feel like they are coming together after many years of them...well...not!

It is an awful thing to suffer with, isn't it? People don't really understand, and most are not half as sympathetic towards anyone who is bigger with an ED.

I actually booked my op today - 16th August so only 20 days to go! Very exciting indeed. I feel a real sense of possibility and hope! Cheesy, but true! :D

Mine wait was 5 weeks but the surgeon squeezed me in. Only way to find out is to start the ball rolling.

I was told u could return to work after 2 weeks and also can't drive until post 2 weeks either but recovery for everyone if different. I personally feel I could go back to work today when I only had my op on Thursday evening. Tiredness for me is the only difficulty when I have walked too much, no other issues :)

Good luck and let us know what surgeon says

Aww thank you! I am in a good place right now, things feel like they are coming together after many years of them...well...not!

It is an awful thing to suffer with, isn't it? People don't really understand, and most are not half as sympathetic towards anyone who is bigger with an ED.

I actually booked my op today - 16th August so only 20 days to go! Very exciting indeed. I feel a real sense of possibility and hope! Cheesy, but true! :D

Hooray! And wow, such good news that you've now got a date!

No, so many people just don't think anyone on the larger side could possibly have an ED. While I'll always have to use the tools I learned through treatment, I don't miss those days of being ill at all.

Good luck with the countdown! xxx

Congratulations on your surgery date, you sound so positive and upbeat , that's great. Your post about the various different diets made me smile , very relatable. People can be unbelievably judgmental when it comes to weight issues and having struggled with BED for decades before it was even identified as a thing I know how lonely and demoralising those dieting franchises can be. But your on the right road now and all that will just be stuff that made you stronger . The very best of luck

Yay not long now

Aww thank you all, lovely comments :)

I am currently waiting to see what's going to happen re my thyroid results. Atm it's sub clinically under active, because I'm useless at taking the tablets every day and they might postpone the op :( being very careful to take it at the same time each day now but don't know what's going to happen yet as THG have contacted my GP for the results. I have a horrible feeling it's not going to go ahead yet, but not much to be done if it isn't, other than wait for the levels to increase, which takes 8 weeks.

I'll start a diary once I find out what's happening!

Hi I also have my band surgery on 16th august at Dolan park ...I'm very nervous but excited ??

Wishing you all the best. Just think that this time next month you will be two weeks out!!

Cx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

good luck both of you, i have mine booked at Dolan Park on 21st Sep so hopefully i cant find out what to expect from you 2 x

good luck both of you, i have mine booked at Dolan Park on 21st Sep so hopefully i cant find out what to expect from you 2 x

Good luck to you too! I've just had my admission call, 10am on Sunday :)

Had a bit of a panic earlier as I may have gone slightly over my 1000 calories and 100g carbs yesterday, but I think it only felt like loads because it was 'proper' food and seemed a lot when I've easily been way under my allowance so far. Lots of water today just in case - water fixes all!

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Congrats to you both - exciting times ahead and not long to wait now. All the best for your ops :)

Hi Becky, maybe I'll see you there if mine goes ahead! When did you have your consultation?

Hi donkeysaurusrex had my consultation on 26 July I had my call earlier to be there for 7am ... Been on liquid diet for 9 days so far & lost 10lbs up to now might get to see you there we must try keep in touch on here as we can support each other xxx

Back