• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Band!

dinkydink

Hi, after 3 years of umming and arring i've finally booked myself in to have a gastric band! i'm so excited about the prospect of a new healthier life! due to commitments i can't have it don't until the 16th may, but that day can;t come too soon! I feel like i've read every article ever about it!! i'm dying to talk to my family and friends about it but i'm scared of their reactions.. my hubby, mom and son know and they are fine about it. i'm not the kind to keep a sectret about myself so i'm finding it hard not to talk about it!! maybe coming on here will help me :rolleyes:

Hi and welcome!

Im a bander too and there are plenty of us on here to offer you support on your journey xx

I made sure I done my research properly...So that when I told family & friends, I could answer any of their questions, and to show that I was serious about it.

I came up with a plan of action and told them all this:

* All my illnesses that I currently have could be lesser if I lost weight (as they know I struggle with sciatica neuralgia, fibromyalgia, hypothyroidism, depression and a few other ones)
* I've tried so much dieting, but inevitably it goes back on....
* I want to have a baby in the future and need to be a healthy size and fit.
But found the best answer I gave them....seemed to be the most honest....
* I love food -wont lie, but I eat far too much of it - my portion sizes are huge. I dont want to give up food. Just the amount of food. As they all know I love my salads and healthy foods as it is. So this was more understandable.

Perhaps make a list, of why your doing it....So that they understand more and sympathise.

That is really good advise thank you! And true!
I am getting down about how much I eat, booking my surgery has made me really focus on how much I do eat, it's scary. Or maybe I'm eating more?? I don't know I've been in denial so long I'm not even sure anymore :/

I think I'll take each person at a time, it's hard to know how people will react isn't it! I really want to tell my best mate but if she tries to talk me out of it I'd be so gutted!!! I think people who aren't overweight don't understand what's it like, I think she'd just say eat less, come running with me! Haha!! Imagine if it was that easy :)

I've found that I've only told people who I know are understanding about my weight issues, so I know I won't get bombarded with criticism and people giving their opinions. Mainly because I don't feel the need to justify myself, it's a decision I have made after A LOT of research, so I there is anything anybody else can tell me that would make me rethink!

After I've had my wrap done (11 sleeps!!) I'll tell more people. Oooh so excited!!

A x

Welcome. Excited for you. I had mine done on 31st march. Still bonding with my new friend but this forum has been a lifeline. I wish all the best and look forward to hearing about your progress x

I wont lie to you....theres gonna be someone who says the......'You dont need it, you look fine as you are' comment. I unfortunately have 3-4 people out of my friends circle who did say it....BUT....its not them who has to live with the weight...its not them who has problems when flying - needing an extender belt, or its not them who gets out of breath putting your shoes on. I could go on and on with reasons why, I know that having a Band is the right decision for me.....No matter how people perceive you - its you who have to live with it....

I have found people stopped saying 'oh you're not fat' a long time ago.
I think I want to talk about it with people because i'm so excited about it. I've just been looking at photos of myself from last year, i can't wait for them to be a distant memory!

Good luck to all of you, this is a very exciting journey isn't it! x

Back