• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Bander to Bypasser - I'm moving to the other side!

I've not posted very much recently, I've been having a major dilemma and to be honest feel like a complete failure and have been beating myself up about it! I have now made my decision though and if you don't mind, I'd like to share. I apologise in advance if it's long winded!

Basically, I was banded privately in January. I live in Hampshire and was not eligible for NHS funding despite having a BMI of 57 at the time.

My surgeon advised that in his view either the band or the bypass would work for me. I've lost a lot of weight in the past - 11 stone on Lighterlife but same old story, it all went back on again. I was totally freaked about having the bypass and in hindsight was not sufficiently honest with myself and realistic about my eating habits. I have suffered with bulimia in the past and now have PCOS so am desperate to lose weight before I get too old as I'd love to have children.

Anyway, I had the band in January and since then have had 6 fills. I have a 12ml band which has been full to capacity for a while now. Despite this I have no restriction around 80% of the time , just constant rageing heartburn. The other 20% of the time I can only eat a very small amount before being sick. I have tried out all types of food. In turn, I have got really down, depressed and frustrated that things have not worked out so I've started bingeing again. This is my real downfall and it's getting worse.

I have sought advice from my surgeon and also from another (just to be sure!) and basically I have been advised that for me the bypass would be the best way forward. I've thought about it long and hard and have decided to go for it. I don't want to waste any more valuable time and I'm therefore booked in on the 1st October. They are going to remove my band at the same time.

I'm determined that I will get there this time - may end up bankrupt though!

Sorry it's long
x

Hi Nichola,

How ironic that you posted this today of all days..

I haven't been around for a few months, I had a band 3 years ago, lost nearly 6 stone and have regained just over 1 stone. Due to probolems with my band I had it removed 3 months ago and just had confirmation today at my pre op assessment that I'm having a bypass next tuesday (can't wait).

I SHOULD have had a bypass to start with but was too scared at the prospect and hindsight is a fab thing!! however, this is about you and I think it takes a very brave person to make this decision soo quickly, but if the band isn't working for you then go for the bypass and don't waste the years that I have!! I've seen many people reach their target weight who had a bypass long after I had my band and it's only helped to depress me.

I'm sooo not against bands, they work if they are right for you and mine worked so far but couldn't get the rest of the weight off me! I think more effort needs to go into identifying the right pathway for each individual and if the wrong decision is made then putting it right is the important thing!!

Good luck with your bypass xx

Nicola I think you are brave to go for bypass when you feared it before. You say you have heartburn, this is normally because your band is too tight or it has slipped. Only being able to eat very small amounts says to me that your band is working. We always tell people to be truely honest about eating habits before deciding on which op to have.I'm sorry you are not happy with your first choice and I really do wish you luck with your bypass. Please keep us updated on your journey and Keep visiting minis so we can support you.xx

good luck Nicola...it's a shame (financially) that it took you having the band to get to the realisation that you needed bypass....I was scared at the prospect of bypass but have lately had many a thought that I should have gone that route too.

keep us informed of how you get on :hug99:

good luck nicola i hope all goes well for you x

Hi Nichola,

How ironic that you posted this today of all days..

I haven't been around for a few months, I had a band 3 years ago, lost nearly 6 stone and have regained just over 1 stone. Due to probolems with my band I had it removed 3 months ago and just had confirmation today at my pre op assessment that I'm having a bypass next tuesday (can't wait).

I SHOULD have had a bypass to start with but was too scared at the prospect and hindsight is a fab thing!! however, this is about you and I think it takes a very brave person to make this decision soo quickly, but if the band isn't working for you then go for the bypass and don't waste the years that I have!! I've seen many people reach their target weight who had a bypass long after I had my band and it's only helped to depress me.

I'm sooo not against bands, they work if they are right for you and mine worked so far but couldn't get the rest of the weight off me! I think more effort needs to go into identifying the right pathway for each individual and if the wrong decision is made then putting it right is the important thing!!

Good luck with your bypass xx

hiya deb long time no chatter hun, i hope everything is ok, i just wanted to say good luck with the bypass on tuesday and i hope this works out better for you than the band has, i will be thinking of you on tuesday when u feel up to it please text me and let me know how things went, whos doing your op small or bal ? good luck hun i shall chat soon xx

liz xxx

Goodluck for the new op. x

Sending good luck wishes your way, Hope everything goes really well for you

Good Luck with your new op, before I had my bypass the hospital told me that quite a few ppl who have the band then decide they want the bypass and I would only get funding once so thats what made my mind up well all the best xxx

Good luck Nicola, the others are right, it takes guts to admit to some of the problems you have had and courage to face the surgery that intimidated you first time round.

I'm post op bypass and 25 weeks pregnant, so proof that it improves fertility and that pregnancy is fine after surgery too.

Good luck with your surgery.

I am NHS and a bit behind you, but had my band removed in April and waiting for bypass...

Nicola I too was scared of the bypass but knew deep down it was the only option for me so i would like to agree with the others who have said you have made a brave decision so early and would like to wish you lots luck and please stay around so we can help. IL i would like to wish you the best for Tuesday and look forward to hearing your story x

Back