• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Long-haul flying

Thump

I'm flying to Panama in a matter of hours for a well-earned vacation.

I've flown with the band before but only as far as France. It was no trouble then.

Thing is with one thing and another (not to mention having to do four months' worth of work in two...), and being so used to my band, I forgot to ask about getting a small aspiration to loosen it up a bit.

Not for eating purposes, just for flight purposes as I heard that the band can tighten up at altitude. I have 6.5 mL in a 10 mL band and it's quite tight, not badly just enough that I have to chew everything to death and take forever to eat. It's what it takes to keep me losing but a couple months back, I had a fill to 7mL and suffered the worst agony for about 12h until I could get a defill and I'm now terrified of going through that on a plane while going to a country where I might not be able to get a defill...

Anyway, I'm taking precautions: relaxing, drinking lots of liquids, not eating anything that might irritate my stomach etc.

Have any of you flown and had problems with your band? If so, what was it like? My too-tight episode was aweful and I spent the night vomiting, should I expect more of the same this time around?

Thanks.:sigh:

I have flown long haul without any problems wih 10.5mils in a 14mil band - but all of our bodies react differently. Its probably too late for a slight defill now, so the only thing you can do is not stress about it, as stressing makes it worse...and make sure you have something like shakes or fluids for when you are travelling/arrive, so if you are too tight, you can consume something. Good luck

I flew to Madrid, then on to South America last November. Had Costa in Heathrow, Starbucks in Madrid, then took 2 protein shake powders for the plane, which I added to milk that they had on the plane. I had a bite of meal 2, and the yoghurt from meal 4 and there was a significant difference in tightness between them. I had hours of total restriction afterwards and was starting to get a bit worried as even my own saliva was getting a bit problematic.

It had gone all back to normal within 16 hours and was ok.

On the return flights, I was fine. Again, I took some protein powder and had a few more bites of airline food.

I carry a Huber needle with me so that my other half can do the necessary if needed.

By the time of my next long haul flight, my band will be in a frame on my wall!

Hope you are ok!

By the time of my next long haul flight, my band will be in a frame on my wall!

No it won't. You need to consider it's in for life unless it causes problems. There will far too much scar tissue to make removal a simple operation, and unless the risks of surgery are less than the risks of keeping it in no surgeon will remove it. Sorry to go off topic.

And I flew to Las Vegas 10 months post band no problems.

No it won't. You need to consider it's in for life unless it causes problems. There will far too much scar tissue to make removal a simple operation, and unless the risks of surgery are less than the risks of keeping it in no surgeon will remove it. Sorry to go off topic.

Yes it will. Thinnerjemima is having her band removed due to port problems ...

Ah! So in her case it is a medical need to remove it. I just wanted to point out to anyone thinking a band is a temporary 'fix' as opposed to a 'permanent' bypass or sleeve - it isn't.

How much did you have in your band when you flew to Vegas? I'm off to Florida in 10 weeks have 6.75ml in 10ml band will have had band 8 months by the time I go, had .25ml today not planning any more fills till after my hols. Not sure wether to get a defil or not any advice?

Paula x

I would suggest speaking to your provider Paula ... as each individual and each provider is different. I am with THG and only because I had not had a fill for such a long time and was coping well with my level of restriction, was the reason I didnt have to have a defill.

I would suggest speaking to your provider Paula ... as each individual and each provider is different. I am with THG and only because I had not had a fill for such a long time and was coping well with my level of restriction, was the reason I didnt have to have a defill.

Thanks Michelle, getting conflicting advice from thg, when I asked yesterday was told would need 1ml defil then asked even if I don't have anymore put in after today and she said oh you should be ok then?

I've not had full restriction but as I've just had .25ml put in and I'm on liquids at the moment that may have changed. I guess I'll book for a defil and see how I get on over the next 8 weeks and if needs be I can cancel the appointment, better to be safe and make sure I can get a defil if I need one x ;)

I can't wait to get the port out of me :D Happy with the band and have lost shed loads of weight with it :cry: But it's got to go....

I wouldn't have a defill for a flight if I was keeping it, just sticking on mostly fluids and keeping as calm as possible and not stressing is my best choice on this.

I have 8.5 in a 12ml band. Perfect restriction. So perfect it's a shame to be taking it out in May :cry:

Whoaa there FuturePerfect, don't be so judgemental when a decision has been made to get a band replaced.

You may be forgetting the mere fact of £12,000 to pay for it, 4 days in hospital, 5 weeks of milk and liquids, 8 weeks of not going to the gym, no driving, no lifting, no eating for months on end again.

A small decision.... I think NOT.

When you're time comes to get your band out you will know about it. Try not sleeping for months, feeling sick every night when you lie on your side and then the ultimate of throwing up in your own bed, uncontrollably. That has been of course after a summer on painkillers and two further procedures on the port itself.

We don't all have the model recovery and the perfect problem free surgery.

Whoaa there FuturePerfect, don't be so judgemental when a decision has been made to get a band replaced.

You may be forgetting the mere fact of £12,000 to pay for it, 4 days in hospital, 5 weeks of milk and liquids, 8 weeks of not going to the gym, no driving, no lifting, no eating for months on end again.

A small decision.... I think NOT.

When you're time comes to get your band out you will know about it. Try not sleeping for months, feeling sick every night when you lie on your side and then the ultimate of throwing up in your own bed, uncontrollably. That has been of course after a summer on painkillers and two further procedures on the port itself.

We don't all have the model recovery and the perfect problem free surgery.

The point is you haven't made a cosmetic decision to have your band replaced. Your surgeon has decided with you that that is the best option in your case. It should not be considered a reversible option.
Good luck with your surgery. I hope all goes well.

Hi everyone, thanks for all the advice and anecdotes. I did as you suggested and kept calm. I'm with THG and they weren't much help when I asked for advice. They didn't even give me any tips. You were much mor helpful.

I drank lots before and during the flight because I read that hydration helped. Turns put I was worrying about nothing (as usual!). I had a very good flight, I stuck to liquids on the first leg of the trip and then because I felt fine, I tried the in-flight meals. It was all fine, provided I chewed e everything really well.

I'm glad it went so well, I was sure there would be some tightness at least, I'm pretty tight on the ground as it is and have many minor stuck moments but few PB episodes. I feel better about the return trip in three weeks already.

That's good news Thump, and no one is going to fade away with not eating for a few hours.

Have a good trip and a restriction free flight home!

Hi everyone, thanks for all the advice and anecdotes. I did as you suggested and kept calm. I'm with THG and they weren't much help when I asked for advice. They didn't even give me any tips. You were much mor helpful.

I drank lots before and during the flight because I read that hydration helped. Turns put I was worrying about nothing (as usual!). I had a very good flight, I stuck to liquids on the first leg of the trip and then because I felt fine, I tried the in-flight meals. It was all fine, provided I chewed e everything really well.

I'm glad it went so well, I was sure there would be some tightness at least, I'm pretty tight on the ground as it is and have many minor stuck moments but few PB episodes. I feel better about the return trip in three weeks already.

Brilliant news thump glad all went ok x have a fab trip

Back