• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Barium test tomorrow

Stacey83

Well, as some of you fellow sleevers know I have had a few throwing up issues since I got my sleeve - it's random, there is no logic to it although since I cut out lactose at 4 weeks post op it went from several times a day to several times a week which was a great improvement.

Mr Mannur made my sleeve 2cm wide intentionally and although this was done with the best of intentions there is now concern it might be too narrow and causing the vomiting. During surgery I also had a hiatus hernia found and repaired so for the first few weeks my abdomen felt swollen and sore from a double operation.

Now, 3.5 months post op I have lost 5 stone including pre op diet and this is fantastic although I worry as I am constantly struggling for energy despite my blood tests showing normal levels of everything and I am sometimes sick several times a day then not sick at all for a good week then it starts again.

I was doing really well with getting in my calories and protein but over the past few weeks I have moved more towards liquids and soft foods as they make me throw up less. Some days I have been getting a third of my calories from soy lattes and almonds - not a long term solution.

Last night I threw up and it was really acidic and I had bad stomach pains and this morning I woke up and was totally off the idea of food with my sleeve feeling really tight - I had a protein shake followed by a small soy latte on the way into work however the idea of trying to eat at lunch is grossing me out. I just have a danio yoghurt and some hummus with rice cakes today, I will make myself do it.

I don't regret a thing, I should have had my sleeve years ago - I just hope that from the barium test tomorrow they have some kind of answer and plan moving forward.

I get my results at my follow up on Thursday afternoon and my sister is coming with me. This is followed by the Homerton Patient Support Group which I am looking forward to.

Rant over,
Stacey

You know this was one of my issues and so I know how you feel. I wish you all the best my love. Please check in and let us know how you get on. xx

Will do - I caved in and got a...soy latte for lunch but my colleagues have told me off so I now have a yoghurt and some cheese sitting on my desk to attempt throughout the afternoon. I just feel so blah today and not interested in food at all. X

Last edited:
Well at least your tests come back normal so that is good. All the best with the barium...i hope you get it fixed. Well done on the loss though thats great x

Oh poor you. I don't have a sleeve but wanted to wish you luck for tomorrow and hope that you feel better soon xx.

Just wanted to wish you well for yr barium swallow tomorrow, and fingers crossed it gives you some answers and more importantly a solution to the vomiting x let us know what the results are x

Hey, good luck for tomorrow's test

Well, as some of you fellow sleevers know I have had a few throwing up issues since I got my sleeve - it's random, there is no logic to it although since I cut out lactose at 4 weeks post op it went from several times a day to several times a week which was a great improvement. Mr Mannur made my sleeve 2cm wide intentionally and although this was done with the best of intentions there is now concern it might be too narrow and causing the vomiting. During surgery I also had a hiatus hernia found and repaired so for the first few weeks my abdomen felt swollen and sore from a double operation. Now, 3.5 months post op I have lost 5 stone including pre op diet and this is fantastic although I worry as I am constantly struggling for energy despite my blood tests showing normal levels of everything and I am sometimes sick several times a day then not sick at all for a good week then it starts again. I was doing really well with getting in my calories and protein but over the past few weeks I have moved more towards liquids and soft foods as they make me throw up less. Some days I have been getting a third of my calories from soy lattes and almonds - not a long term solution. Last night I threw up and it was really acidic and I had bad stomach pains and this morning I woke up and was totally off the idea of food with my sleeve feeling really tight - I had a protein shake followed by a small soy latte on the way into work however the idea of trying to eat at lunch is grossing me out. I just have a danio yoghurt and some hummus with rice cakes today, I will make myself do it. I don't regret a thing, I should have had my sleeve years ago - I just hope that from the barium test tomorrow they have some kind of answer and plan moving forward. I get my results at my follow up on Thursday afternoon and my sister is coming with me. This is followed by the Homerton Patient Support Group which I am looking forward to. Rant over, Stacey

Good luck for tomorrow Stacey let us know how it all goes hopefully you will get some answers xxx

Thanks for your support everyone, it means so much to me - no-one else gets it!

So, I've just had test, firstly I could fit a normal hospital gown and my bum wasn't hanging out so that was a miracle! I had the barium, was turned upside down, had more, had water, ate a small square of bread soaked in barium and it was over.

The radiologist said I had...a hiatus hernia!!! I just had one fixed with my sleeve, what's up with that?! I also have reflux.

I'm seeing surgeon tomorrow for a follow up so I'll know more then and will keep you posted.

Stacey xx

Hoorah for answers!!!

Hopefully you will be fixed and back to living your new life in no time. xx

Oh goodness, hopefully you will have some answers tomorrow x

Oh good at least you have an idea of whats going wrong now which makes it less scary. Hopefully they will put you right.
Well done on getting into a normal gown!!

Happy that you have an answer now!
ps I will be attending the support group tomorrow night.....need all the help I can get with sorting out my pre op diet!

So, I saw the surgeon yesterday and I don't have a hernia! I don't know how that happened... anyway, I have something called a diverticulum which is basically like a little bulge/kink/pouch off my oesophagus and this is what has been causing my vomiting as my oesophagus can't contract normally because there's this extra little bit popping out which makes it go into spasm and makes me sick!

I have a prescription for anti sickness pills and I am awaiting an appointment with Mr Mannur within the next 2-3 weeks for an endoscopy to explore further and it will most likely be fixed at the same time with the use of a balloon, fingers crossed.

My post endoscopy follow up is on 18 September so the end is in sight, I am relieved I most likely won't need surgery to repair this and I will stop puking soon :)

Last edited:
Glad you have an answer - now they can work on fixing it :)

So, I saw the surgeon yesterday and I don't have a hernia! I don't know how that happened... anyway, I have something called a diverticulum which is basically like a little bulge/kink/pouch off my oesophagus and this is what has been causing my vomiting as my oesophagus can't contract normally because there's this extra little bit popping out which makes it go into spasm and makes me sick!

I have a prescription for anti sickness pills and I am awaiting an appointment with Mr Mannur within the next 2-3 weeks for an endoscopy to explore further and it will most likely be fixed at the same time with the use of a balloon, fingers crossed.

My post endoscopy follow up is on 18 September so the end is in sight, I am relieved I most likely won't need surgery to repair this and I will stop puking soon :)
It must be a relief to have some answers at least - even if you have to have more work done - hope that the tablets help until they can do something x

Back