• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

BBC news this morning

salski

Very good post thank you, what they are saying is very true. So many pct`s are making their guidelines so high that over the country thousands of people are being refused wls, its about time the government bought out a standard criteria and each pct has to abide to it.

Yes, a very interesting and thought provoking article, as was the interview on the Radio 4 Today program at about 08:10 this morning. This should be available on iPlayer.

I think one of the most significant paragraphs in the article is:
"Experts warn that surgery to tackle obesity is a medical procedure, rather than a cosmetic operation."

on granada news last night it said salford have now said it wont pay for any surgery on people whos BMI is below 50. One woman who did everything asked of her and lost some weight to show comitment has had her surgery cancled and been told she now dosny qualify, also if she diliberatly puts it on again she`will still not get it..................kath x

on granada news last night it said salford have now said it wont pay for any surgery on people whos BMI is below 50. One woman who did everything asked of her and lost some weight to show comitment has had her surgery cancled and been told she now dosny qualify, also if she diliberatly puts it on again she`will still not get it..................kath x

That's just so wrong and unfair.

I can understand that the NHS doesn't have a bottomless pot of money, but it does seem unfair how they allocate it. You've only got to experience the postcode lottery of mental health services, the most underfunded of NHS services, to see how unfair it is. My pct automatically accepts people with a bmi of over 50. Mine is 45 so I foresee a battle with them in the coming months. Silly really because if I lose weight there's a very good chance that I'll need less or no help from the mental health services in the future, so I'd be saving them money really lol. I really hope I don't have to wait another few years until I'm over bmi 50 and probably suffering from angina or diabetes.

How awful for this poor poor woman, she is in a no win situation.:mad:

It's just mad how things can change so much from one place to another!

when i first saw my GP in March 09 never had my height measured (he took my word for what i THOUGHT i was) and as such, with a BMI of only 58 and no other co-morbiditites, i was told i would not qualify for funding, so i paid for a private consultation at St Richards.
In May 09 when i had that consultation i had my height measured and was told i was 2" shorter than i thought i was lol (dammit! but in this case it helped)
"Losing" those 2 inches of height pushed my BMI just above 60 and i was told i should get funding and that i should go back to my GP and get him to request it....so that is what happened in June, and by July i was accepted.

How sad. Yet the NHS is abused by so many people. It also makes me mad that drug addicts, alcoholic's etc. get funding no problem & so they should but then so should we. Our addiction is food! We need help before our BMI gets bigger.

My mum was in exactly the same situation. She had completed the 6 months with the dietician and should have been referred by the dietician in Sep 09 to the surgeon. She delayed sending the referral and sent it too late. The PCT changed the BMI threshold from 40 to 50 in Nov 09, so my mum, with a BMI of 47.6 at the time got knocked back. She is really disheartened. I was a few months in front of her and had already seen the surgeon, sleep clinic & psychology dept, my BMI was only just over 40 when I had my op in Feb 2010. It's so unfair.

I must say I agree with the fact that if I was a drug addict, an alcholic, or a smoker I would get the full support of the NHS, but because I am a foodie I get no help whatsoever.

I have tried to get a referral from my GP but in our area you have to have a BMI over 50 which I think I could get to in a few months, but have decided that I will go private instead.

Perhaps I am lucky to be able to do that, but it will mean I will have to downsize my bungalow sooner, but if that is what it takes sobeit.

Mind you I cant knock the NHS as I had a cancer scare (a lump) which in the end was ok, but the service I got from them was 2nd to none.

I went on a training course recently that covered legal issues affecting healthcare and was told that where guidance is developed (i.e. NICE Guidance in respect of Bariatric Surgery) that these documents should be considered to have the same power and effect that is applied in Law. They are considered to be written by what is called an auspicious body (in other words their recommendations should be considered as law).

Sorry for the complicated explanation but what this means is that if NICE recommends bariatric surgery for people who meet their criteria (which is easier to meet than PCT criteria) that it can be argued that in not offering surgery to people who meet the criteria is unlawful.

This term is the basis for most appeals against PCT's who refuse to fund.

Hope this helps and doesn't sound like i've disappeared up my own backside! :)

Thanks Annie, great post. This really does need high lighting as it gives people having to fight for funding the right ammunition!

I got hold of the East of England Bariatric Pathway that PCT's in the EoE follow. Hopefully it might be helpful in assisting people to understand the process. Will try to find a way to attach it here.

I got hold of the East of England Bariatric Pathway that PCT's in the EoE follow. Hopefully it might be helpful in assisting people to understand the process. Will try to find a way to attach it here.

Annie it would probably be best to put it under a new thread so it doesn't get lost. Sorry, you've probably already thought of that!

Hi Charis, Thats a good idea. I am stuggling to attach the document at the moment so will try again later. xxxx

Back