• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

WLS postcode lottery impact

angie790

When I was in hospital having my operation, I met & got chatting to a BBC reporter who was following the journey of another WLS patient in at the same time as me.

She is currently in the process of making a series for the BBC about bariatric surgery. There will be many aspects to what she plans to cover, but one of the primary perspectives she wants to include is the postcode lottery when it comes to qualifying for WLS on the NHS, and what impact this is having on people who want/need WLS, but are having difficulty or have been refused PCT funding (even if they did on paper meet the citeria for their area). She is also interested in the stories of people who did not quality/were refused NHS funding and felt compelled to go private and/or abroad for surgery; or those who paid privately & went abroad but needed urgent aftercare on the NHS due to complications. (Not mentioning any names, but I know of quite a few of you on here who have had a long hard struggle for funding....)

She assures me that if anyone would be interested in talking to her about their story, it can be kept strictly anonymous if that is preferred.

I chatted to her quite a bit while I was there and she seems a very genuine lady, who is looking to create something more balanced than what is generally strewn across the media at the moment, expecially in the backlash of government cuts.

If anyone might be interested, please PM me with your full name, e-mail address & phone-number, so I can pass your details on. In the interests of confidentiality, you don't need to tell me anything about what you would be happy to talk to her about!

Cheers everyone.

Hi,

Sounds interesting! However I'd be interested in contacting her myself. Do you have her details?

did you tell her about the forum, maybe if she came on here, she'd get a better idea as well

oh, i didnt realise there had been journalists on here, thanks for pointing it out brunette n red. i just thought thaat she might get a more broader outlook thats all. what happened last time you had them on hun?

There was one who inveigled her way on [the old WLS thread on Minimins] pretending to be a WLS hopeful; she even befriended some people on Facebook.

I'm not saying all journos are not to be trusted, but the very nature of their job means they can be tricky to deal with in their quest for a good story.

yeah i can understand what you mean, they will do and say anything wont they to get their story. i suppose if you look at some of the stories in mags n things, they do get things a bit, apex over gable end sometimes dont they. so it probably is best if its kept private isnt it. shame though, cos if there was such a thing as an honest journalist, lol, it could have done a lot of good to wls cause. i mean in getting more ops done etc

oh well thats all good then isnt it. thanks for telling me huni, hugs xxx

Thanks for all your replies so far: for those that have expressed an interest in talking to her, I will forward her details onto you.

Gaelic girl, she would be interested in talking to you too, she was not only interested in talking to NHS patients, but private patients too if the NICE criteria meant you couldn't get funding. If you'd like her details, I can forward them on.

Whilst talking to her, I did mention the forum, but not by name. Imho, this forum is a non-judgemental, safe haven for many of us going through this procedure, where we come for support & advice from other WLS patients. I wouldn't feel comfortable knowing there was a journalist on the loose on here, or that I was responsible for that either & I'm sure many others would feel the same, therefore I was very careful to keep names etc out of it.

Equally, I wouldn't be comfortable posting her details on here, which I why I suggested for those that are interested in telling their story, to PM me with your contact details so I can forward it onto her, or alternatively I could forward her details privately onto you if you would prefer it that way.

Again, I'd like to reiterate that this would be any entirely voluntary thing, and completely confidential between you & her. I am merely the go between. I do understand any reticence, but this could be a good opportunity for some to get 'our' side of the story across!

I wouldnt trust them as far as I could spit lol One story about me in a local evening paper and it went world wide. People knocking on my door to a reported in calgury (canada) phoning the local police station betending to be a relative and they needed to contact me. My 15 mins of fame turned into 3 months of hell lol But thats a differant story lol

I wouldnt trust them as far as I could spit lol One story about me in a local evening paper and it went world wide. People knocking on my door to a reported in calgury (canada) phoning the local police station betending to be a relative and they needed to contact me. My 15 mins of fame turned into 3 months of hell lol But thats a differant story lol

Bl**dy hell, Teen! I had no idea! The cheeky bar stewards! :mad:

Gosh, sounds horrid, this is exactly what we don't want! xxx

Back