• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Being on your own after surgery

kirstyjade

i currently live with my parents but I've been offered a house by the council, but I'm in two minds weather to take it because I will be on my own and worried how I'll cope after my op.... Did any of you find you needed help from your family after surgery and if so how long for? Will I cope on my own, or will I be in to much pain etc?

You could always go and stay with your parents for a few days post op, until you feel stronger. Or get a friend to stay at your new place with you ?

If you turn it down, most councils will not offer again. I live on my own and have been fine since I came out of hospital 2 weeks ago, but there isn't anything to stop you taking the flat and still staying at your parents if you don't feel so good!

I have a hubby and a 5 year old. I had one night with hubby at home then he was in work for a week of nights. He did help a little getting my daughter ready in the mornings when I felt a bit sore in the first few days, but I was nervous at the thought of being at home on my own when he was in work incase something happened to the little one. I live 2 min away from my family so decided I could call them and have someone round quickly if needed.
To be honest though everything was fine, and I was quite capable of milling around the house and seeing to myself. I think its just the fear of what if thats the worry though.
is the new flat near to your family or friends for a possible emergency?

Council places are hard to come by, I'd suggest taking it - even if you don't even physically move into it til you are stronger

Take it whilst it's being offered, you won't get asked again! You don't physically have to move in until you're ready, just pay the rent etc

would one of your parents be able to stay with you for a little while if they are needed, are the children very small need picking up etc or would they be old enough to help themselves get ready for school and then it might not be so bad xx i really wouldn't give up the place you obviously need it as they don't give them willy nilly :) good luck

I live alone, and came out of hospital after my bypass to my flat alone, with no one to help out, and I managed just fine.. As everyone else says, you probably wouldnt get offered another flat, so seems daft not to accept it, if it is the one you wanted.. I honestly didnt have any problems being alone after the surgery.. In fact in some ways it was quite nice just being able to relax and not have to worry about anyone else.

I personally didn't think the pain was that bad after my bypass,I asked to be discharged the day after my operation.
And at home I was walking about and seeing to myself.
I just took it easy,and knew my limits I would still go ahead with the council offer,you may not get another.

I have 3 kids and hubby works full time so for the first week i had a friend taking them to and from school, but if i was on my own i would of been ok as i looked after myself when he was working. Take the flat, took my mum 11 years to get a council place even with being a single parent to me. As a lot have said you could go home post op or ask a friend to stay for a few days.

The worst problem I found was not being able to pick up my three year old and going to and front school was a nightmare , I resorted to using his buggy to get him there and back , he also has autism so he often plays me about I wasn't willing to take the risk and hurt myself but life still goes on , my mum took off the week after as did my hubby but from 2nd week I was on my own.

Edited to say : we were offered a council house day before my son was due we took it and just did it up while still living with my folks and we moved in two months after although your paying rent on something your not living in it gives you time to get it sorted and if you need help after your op it's still there afterwards

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Under the system most councils use to allocate housing, it is very unlikely that you wouldn't get offered another property in the near future, but you should of course check this with your local authority. The main issue in regards to the allocation is how suitable the property is for you. If this one meets your needs well you should accept and there is no guarantee that they will have a similar property in the future.

Re the being on your own thing after surgery - I did have my husband here and he was good company, but I didn't need him for any physical help.

I would take the housing as at some point after you will want your own space! I am sure if you take the housing that would be fine you stayed with family till your on your feet! Or get someone to stay with you xx

if the property is suitable for your needs then take it and either stay with your parents for a while after or ask them to pop round to help you out if needs be

i was priority for council housing as i have a disabled child but they sent me to view 4 unsuitable propertys before being forced to accept the house i live in now. all the propertys have lots of stairs to the outside of the house, hard to get her wheelchair in.
suitability of the property for you is the most important thing

Back