• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

WASHING AFTER SURGERY!!!!!!

Changing subject cassie I'm seeing surgeon in November now I changed it this morning as it's 345 in the afternoon if he's running late or anything I could end up getting home so late and traffic as well so got a 1pm slot on 10th Nov
I feel fine and not in a rush to see him so you'll be first xxx

Changing subject cassie I'm seeing surgeon in November now I changed it this morning as it's 345 in the afternoon if he's running late or anything I could end up getting home so late and traffic as well so got a 1pm slot on 10th Nov
I feel fine and not in a rush to see him so you'll be first xxx
Oooo that's a good time! Mines at 2:45 ;( so pants lol xx

They specifically asked me if I was wearing cotton pants when they booked me in and I changed into some as the ones I was wearing weren't but then I had to whip mine off in the anaesthetic room before we got started anyway. I took a thin dressing gone with me too because I hate wearing 2 gowns, it always makes me feel like I'm choking.
The day and night I was in HDU they bed bathed me a couple of times which I always hate but needs must. I don't think I had a shower while I was in hospital (Thursday to Sunday) but did when I got home and they gave me plenty of extra dressings so I could replace set ones after a shower. It was a few days before I had my bowels open which I think is quite common so I could deal with that at home.

I was a day patient at the Whitt for RNY, they gave me the paper knickers which were OK, they removed them themselves during op. The stockings were super tight, wore them for 5 days as per their recommendation and they left marks at the top of the calf, still there :mad:. No pain on dressings, showered from day 2 with no pain or discomfort.

I had my bypass done at homerton and I was allowed to wear my own knickers with the warning that it may be stained with a body cleaning scrub they use at the start of the operation and as for tights I wasn't measured just given a large pair to put on! The gown did just fit but had my dressing gown on up till I got to the room before the operating theatre

I was measured for stockings but they made my legs tingle. I complained and was given flowtrons to wear (see my diary).

I wore paper knickers.

I was supported to strip wash in HDU. Didn't shower on ward, but Mum helped me strip wash when I got home and she washed my hair. I was able to kneel at bath so she could wash my hair. The next day I showered myself but mum dried my legs.

Toilet was fine to wipe. Take is slowly until you know if it hurts. I was constipated afterwards, not pleasant. Used suppositories and movicol.

The thing that I am worried about is wiping yourself after going to the loo! I have to bend over a lot (I have to go forwards) and I can't see me doing that after the op. I am really worried about that! :oops:
The thing that I am worried about is wiping yourself after going to the loo! I have to bend over a lot (I have to go forwards) and I can't see me doing that after the op. I am really worried about that! :oops:

Google Bottom Buddy. I have a back problem and I can't reach behind. Various makes out there if you search.

Lol yeah how soon after do they let you have shower? Also did you have knickers on for surgery do they cut them just so I know....xxx

When I had my appendix out (full cut) I was allowed in the bath the next day. Shower is probably easier though.

Ladies thank you do much for your advice and your experiences it's good to know ....I must ask at pre op about knickers and dressing gown I font want my backside on display .. lol xxx
I believe it is NHS practice now, to save money, you take your own dressing gown as they no longer provide them. I even have to take one with me if going for an MRI!

At St Richards the 6 bay bed you will be on has its own bathroom for the female patients. It's a full wet room.

I showered when I arrived before surgery, and was able to shower by myself the day after surgery. The bandages they use are waterproof so don't worry about getting them wet.

There was a chair in the wet room I used to put my leg on so I could 'get at all my bits and bobs'. There is also a call bell right by the shower incase you need the nurse to help.

Also, I was allowed to wear my knickers into surgery (they tell you just not to wear your favourite pair) and I didn't wear stocking. At St Richard's they have these inflatable things they wrap round your legs which massage your legs during surgery. You also have them on while sleeping. I wanted to take them home with me! Xxx

At St Richards the 6 bay bed you will be on has its own bathroom for the female patients. It's a full wet room.

I showered when I arrived before surgery, and was able to shower by myself the day after surgery. The bandages they use are waterproof so don't worry about getting them wet.

There was a chair in the wet room I used to put my leg on so I could 'get at all my bits and bobs'. There is also a call bell right by the shower incase you need the nurse to help.

Also, I was allowed to wear my knickers into surgery (they tell you just not to wear your favourite pair) and I didn't wear stocking. At St Richard's they have these inflatable things they wrap round your legs which massage your legs during surgery. You also have them on while sleeping. I wanted to take them home with me! Xxx
Gem that sounds good. ...I've heard about those leg massages I would like a pair of them for after a days work standing on my feet in salon ...lol wonder if you can seek them out !!!!
Thanks hun for info xxx

I had them on in CCU and liked the massage effect but they kept waking me up as they were darn noisy and kept clicking!

Maybe mine were malfunctioning! Or maybe I was so out of it on painkillers I imagined it! Ha ha!

Mine were on top of the stockings!

I hate them too! They wrinkle on my ankle and cause them to go puffy and have red sore lines on my skin! Meant to wear them for 2 weeks but don't think I will manage that! They are so hot too!

Back