• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Being sick all evening - help!

luscious_peach

Well, I don't know what was going on yesterday. I had roast chicken with 1 roast potato and some mixed veg and gravy for dinner. Only I got through 3/4 of the chicken and suddenly felt overfull to the max. I went and lay on the sofa but my chest was really hurting and I felt sick.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I then spent the rest of the evening with a stomach that was "fizzing" and periodically being sick. I attempted some toast to absorb the fizziness, but that was agony and had to rush to be sick. I threw up 7 times in the end. My tummy was really sore and I was exhausted when I went to bed.

Feeling quite scared to eat anything today, but have had 75g of soft tinned fruit.

What the hell is going on!? I know that I didn't overeat on the chicken...

Hi soz cant offer ay advice but did not want to read and run am sure some of the experienced peeps will be along soon to offer you some advice, hope u feel better soon xx

I did stop eating immediately and I ate the toast 3 hours later.

I have overeaten before and had to make myself sick to ease the pain, this was totally different.

Hi Sam, I'm not sure I'm going to be any help as I don't think I've had that particular experience. :confused: Just a thought though did you remember to take your antacid tablet in the morning? The fizzing you describe makes me think of too much acid in your pouch....

Or it could be your pouch simply rebelling in it's own little way for reasons unbekown to us, mine does that occasionally! :D

If it happens again and you are worried about it perhaps give your wls team a tinkle hun. Glad you're feeling better now,
Cuppa xx

Hi Cuppa,

I thought it was an overproduction of acid too, my mouth kept filling up with saliva and it was frothy. I did take my antacid though, so it wasn't that.

I have managed to eat the fruit but my tummy is still sore from yesterday. I think I'm hungry but I'm not sure - it could be sickness. I hate it when you can't tell the difference.

Has anyone here had a tummy bug after having surgery?

Chicken isn't carbs:eek::eek::eek:

try having some soup to give ur pouch time to settle down, its poss u may have tummy upset for another reason, can u not contact ur service providers for help

all the best - MeJulie

Hi there,

I know I am not a bypasser, but what you described sounds like possibly you ate to fast.

I know if I do, I get that back up of saliva you talk about.

I would say stick to liquids for a day, let your pouch recover and try with something a little softer and easier to digest, then try chicken but much slower than before and really chew chew chew.

I know sometimes I am too hungry when I start and I forget that I need to be really slow.

Try not to feel panicked, we all get cock ups along the way, its part of our journey.

But if you keep being sick, get yourself to GP and check things out.

Hope you feel less worried and better soon xx

Hiya i carnt say too much cause i havent had that sort of sympton yet and i hope i dont:( Anyway sorry to hear you have been feeling unwell but is it possible you ate tooo quickly or didnt chew it enough could always go back to blending the meats to help it go down easier.
Anway good luck with things:)

Sharon xx

i have the exact same thing with chicken.. i think its coz its a really dry meat! i can hardly any chicken at all! i never used to eat red meat but at the min white meat is a no no for me! x

No - luscious Peach I am well aware that Chicken is a protein but roast potatoes and toast are CARBS. No need to be aggressive - you asked for help and I answered with my opinion. I shan't again

Chicken is def one of the hardest foods to tolerate in your pouch. It is also my favourite food. I satrted off withjust a tiny amount in plenty of gravy and built up my tolerance from there. They recommend eating it in tiny mouthfuls i.e. the size of a pencil topper rubber. Might be that it blocked your pouch - I did this last week trying to eat a bread bun and I have NEVER felt pain like it and I was sick all night (my mouth kept bringing up saliva also). It is just trial and error and what agrees/disagrees with me might be fine for someone else (it's all trial and error). I would recommend (when your feeling better) trying the chicken again but making sure you have tiny pieces in plenty of gravy

I know you are trying to help but I didn't get to the roast potato, I eat the protein first. I was sick 6 times after the chicken and only ate the toast to try and absorb what I thought was bubbling stomach acid, just like I would have done with heart burn.

I wasn't being aggressive, I was looking for help, I'm not stupid thanks very much.

i get this if i eat any food in to large a piece and dont chew it enough and sometimes if i am hungry i forget and rush my food paying the price later I know make sure i eat slower and chew it to within an inch of it's life lol and i make certain they are smaller pieces, it is annoying at first when you are used to larger pieces and it gets cold whilst eating but worth it to not feel sick or be sick. Hope this helps sorry to ramble on hee hee xxx

Hiya, Ive only just seen this and you've had lots of good advice so far. I have had a similar experience myself and it could be a number of things.

1 - It could be that your pouch isnt ready to tolerate chicken yet. I really struggled in the early days with meats, but am fine with most meats now at 4 months out as long as I chew well.

2 - It could be that you ate too fast. No doubt you have probably slowed your eating right down since you were pre-op, but I get saliva backing up even now if I eat too quickly, and it comes on almost immediately. Try putting your fork down between mouthfuls.

3 - It could be that the food wasnt chewed enough and got stuck. The bites you take in the early days need to be really tiny and chewed to death.

It's so hard getting to grips with this bypass. Im still learning and have good days and bad. Hope you feel better soon x

Thanks for all the advice ladies. It is much appreciated.

Back