• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Believe in yourself

hopelesscase

If there is one piece of advice i would give anyone undertaking the desperate measure of having a gastric bypass( you sucessful banders may want to add to this) It is believe in yourself.

Im 24 days away from my anniversery of surgery and knew from the day that a bypass was recommended that it was the right thing for me.

4 months in i had a My god what have i done moment this it it for life. I pleased to say it only lasted a whole 5 mins before i shrugged my shoulders and though and what a life its going to be.

I have never once though what if i fail, only to suceed i need to follow the advice given.

Well here i am nearly at 12 months and thinking what can i do to celebrate that i have suceeded and i have decided the 6th Nov is going to be a day of reflection. I will look through the photo albums with fond memories of the people i was with at the time. Remember all the happy times and probably cry a little too at the fact there are people i would like to be here but sadly are no longer here to enjoy things with. But my thoughts will be positive as no longer do i look at photos and say omg was that me because the big person in the photos was me but people didnt see my size they just saw me and thats now what i see. im still the same person i have always been still have the same hopes and aspirations, just a smaller version.

im working that eve but have arranged to meet up with some friends for an indian meal something i thought 12 months ago would never happen again.

so instead of thinking i hope i can do half as well as you say when i get to target im going to ????? because you can all suceed you just need to believe in yrselves.

Take care and have a fab day

carole

Hi Carole,
You are a total inspiration-thanks for posting this-far better than reading bland textbooks/hospital websites-especially for those of us that are still contemplating wls
hey perhaps you should write a book?

Thanks Carole, you are confirming what I have been thinking for the last 18 months. I am of course a bit concerned about my imminent op and the initial recovery, but am convinced it is the head that must change more than the body. Self belief is very important and lets face it, something that is missing in most wls candidates. That MUST change if we are to make a success of this great opportunity.

Well done you!!

What an inspiring thread Carole, looking forward to hearing about your Indian meal too oooo I'm so very jealous:jelous:
Thank-you for posting this. Laura x

excellent post carole i totally agree with you from a banders perspective, believe in yourself and anything is possible in life if we want it enough, work hard keep focused on the challenges ahead of us and the rewards are there for the taking.

liz x

Good advice Carole. I certainly have the 'I dont think its going to work for me moments' and post month after month about sticking, however your right when you say, if you work for it, it will happen! Thanks for your post

Sally

Congratulations on reaching 12 months post surgery and goal weight. Im almost 6 months and 5 stone away from goal and anything beyond that is a bonus. Like you, Im 100% happy with the decision I made - its given me my life back. What I would say to anyone contemplating this as a last chance hope in losing weight to go for it - the operation sounds much more scary than it is and if you have no complications (which are rare), you should be out of hospital in 48/72 hours. The pain is minimal and the weight loss extraordinary!

fantastic post Carole. I am trying to believe in myself and I hope and pray that I can have the same success as you.

xx

Thanks for this it's just what I needed right now.

I'm sitting here waiting for the phone to ring to say yeah or nay to a bed and beginning to wonder if I'm doing the right thing.

You've convinced me to bite the bullet, stop being a whimp and get on with my new life.

Lynda

Carole, you always speak such wise words and I know I've said it to you before but you are just so inspiring! Each time I read through your diary (and Nic's and Shel's are fab for this too) it gives me that little bit more self belief that with a bit of hard work and determination I and others can achieve exactly what we want to achieve.

Thank you! :grouphugg:

how times flies. I can remember watching you on this amazing journey. I am so proud of you. I want to thank you for your caring words of encourage toward us all but especially the words addressed to me when I was so desperate and in need of a friend. I felt so lost and low while I was fighting for my funding (which I never got in the end). I even stopped posting when I was so afraid that I wouldn't get my much needed surgery. I am so pleased to share in your celebrating. You really deserve to be happy. I want to thank you on behalf of everyone on here for sharing. Long may you be here to help us along the way.

That's so inspiring, and a really good idea to have a day of reflection. Lv Jen x

thanx carole ive got my op comin up in november hopefully fingers xd and ive been lookin forward to it and dredding it at the same time but now after reading this i feel positive again and im now more lookin forward to it than not if that makes sense lol thanx for posting this hun its really helped looking forward to the new me lin.x

hi carol what an excellent thread, im 5 months post-op and have lost 6 stone, ive got another 6 stone to go and reading your thread really gives me the belief that i can do it. enjoy your day of reflection, what a women!!!!

Great sentiments there Carol and I agree 100% and I too want to succeed which is why I have chosen to take each step as it came and not tried to hurry it up I needed that time to be confident that my head was where my heart was and that I was totally convinced I was doing the right thing and not just do it cause I could.
I am nervous, but thats a good thing, and I know the bypass is a tool and not a 'cure'
I listened to a lady in the hosp waiting room when I took a lady up for her appt last Monday and was amazed that although she had her bypass and was doing well, she actually knew little about it.
Already eating trifle and crisps and choc etc and saying things like at least I wont ever be fat again.................wrong, and she was horrified when I told her that actually she could be if she didnt eat healthy and change her lifestyle.
I look to people like you for support and comfort knowing that if you work hard at it, it will work hard for you, and god willing it will
Thanks for the ongoing support and I hope you have a great night with your friends. I will know by then when I am having my surgery, so........bring it on.....

Jay xx

well done carole and a fantastic thread you were one of the original bypassers when i joined the site back in febuary. I have followed your threads and it has encouraged me so much thankyou. janey;):D:D:p

Back