• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Below criteria?

Hi everyone. I started at The Weigh Ahead programme in Southampton back in April although I started dieting in January and everybody (inc my GP) supports my wish for surgery. However my GP has advised me that my BMI has gone from 45 to 39 and this will make ineligible for surgery in the eyes of the surgeons. Has anybody else had this experience and did you manage to overcome it? Thanks in advance.

I'm sure I've heard something similar on here regarding bmi dropping but if you have other health issues like diabetes or joint issues or anything else they still count I wish you luck I'm sure others will swing by with better advise very soon

I'm sure I've heard something similar on here regarding bmi dropping but if you have other health issues like diabetes or joint issues or anything else they still count I wish you luck I'm sure others will swing by with better advise very soon

Thank you. Unfortunately I have no other issues except for Hypothyroidism which I don't think counts. ??

Hi Mrs Stay Puft,

It must be so frustrating hearing that! You clearly are in the right headspace, are putting in the effort and are getting results to get you started on the journey.

I'm nervous I'll end up in the same position. We are in this for the long run, we need a sustainable long term solution. Whilst we are putting in effort to get us started, we know from past experiences that this alone does not work long term. But then getting 'punished' for those efforts doesn't seem right either.

I'll be honest and say that at the moment, I stopped aiming to lose even the tiniest bit of weight.

It's doing my head in because the past few years, trying to lose weight has been the focus of my life.

Could you get a second opinion somewhere else?

Surely if at the point you were referred you were over BMI 40 that is what counts. I self funded so no personal experience of this but this has come up before on here and I know some people still got surgery even if their BMI Dropped after they were referred. It means you are showing willing Imo.

Good luck, but please get them to question this if indeed you were referred before your weight dropped.

I agree wholeheartedly. I also thought it was more about what your BMI was when you were referred, but my doctor says not. I will ask at my next appointment with the nutritionist. I may have to gain some weight back, but I really don't want to do that. Fingers crossed. Thanks everyone. I really appreciate your input.

I agree wholeheartedly. I also thought it was more about what your BMI was when you were referred, but my doctor says not. I will ask at my next appointment with the nutritionist. I may have to gain some weight back, but I really don't want to do that. Fingers crossed. Thanks everyone. I really appreciate your input.

Would be totally silly if you had to do that. Good luck.

It would be completely ridiculous if they refused to go ahead on the basis that your BMI dropped below 40 during the Tier 3 weight loss efforts. The whole reason most of us go for surgery is because all previous diet attempts have ended up with the weight going back on...not that we didn't lose anything in the first place.

I told my GP that I'm bloody brilliant at dieting, I've lost countless stone in weight over the years. The problem is that I don't keep it off.

I've seen my nutritionist today and she has said she thought the BMI was 35 to qualify, not 40, but she is going to double check for me. BUT, she also said that if it is 40, then no matter what my BMI is next month, she will say it is still at 40. Phew! What a lovely lady! Thanks everyone.

Good luck hun! Ask the GP to help back you up too x

My BMI was 53 with no other health conditions and I was refused surgery at the end of 18 months on Tier 3. I was with Spire Southampton but appointments were held in Havant (local to me) at the time.

Back