• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Biggest change & Injections?

Serapis Bey

Hello everyone :)

As I've mentioned before, my bypass will be in January 2011, I haven't been given a date yet but Dr.Avril Changs secretary has said it will DEFINITELY go ahead January :happy036:

I have a few questions - Ill start with the nice one.

1) What has been the most positive change since you've had the bypass?

2) Does the bypass make you feel fuller sooner?

Now the not so nice questions

3) Dr.Chang said I will have to inject myself after the operation, to prevent my blood from clotting. How long will I have to do it for & is it horrific (I have a fear of needles)

4) Will I be left with a bony bottom? :cry:

BTW, how come I can't thank people on this forum?

You have to have 50 posts first so keep posting!

Re: Biggest change & Injections?

Good questions Hun I'm pre op too and hoping to know wen I'm having my op wen I see surgeon Monday!
Carnt really answer any of ur questions as I say I'm pre op but wat I can say is the injections could be clexane?? That thins ur blood and prevents bloodclots, I had a c section 5 months ago to have my little boy as he was breech and I had to bring some clexane injections home with me to inject myself I was a bit worried and scared but honestly it's not as bad as u think the needle on it's only small and u have to press it it automatically pops out so no pulling the needle out I'm presuming it will b the same but I'm sure a post opper b along soon with more info!!
Good luck with ur op look forward to following ur journey xx

Hi, most pos. change after the bypass for me is having the option to keep eating taken away from me - now I have to THINK about what I eat to ensure enough protein etc. and as I know I am going to be full on a small amount I chose things I really like not just whatever was quick/easy like before.

I guess that kinda answers your second question - yes, you will feel fuller much quicker - at the start on very very little but this will increase slightly as time goes by.

As for the injections, some hospitals seems to differ slightly - mine was for a week. It is a pre-loaded syringe with a very small needle that you inject into the area either side of your navel. The injection is almost painless but you will feel a little sting as the medication works into your body and you may bruise in this area.

Depending on how you look at things a bony bottom may just be what you are aiming for!!

Your surgeon takes your ideal BMI, your expectations, your health, eating habits etc. into account when doing the op so you should end up at a weight that is right for you.

Best of luck with your op.

As I've mentioned before, my bypass will be in January 2011, I haven't been given a date yet but Dr.Avril Changs secretary has said it will DEFINITELY go ahead January :happy036:

seeing the number on the scales go down every week, buying 'normal' size clothes and feeling totally in control of what I eat!
Sorry there's 3; but all great!

Yes! I'm never actually hungry now, but i can only eat tiny amounts and very rarely finish everything on my (tiny) plate

3) Dr.Chang said I will have to inject myself after the operation, to prevent my blood from clotting. How long will I have to do it for & is it horrific (I have a fear of needles)

I didn't have to do this as my hospital doesn't give you them to take home. I had them in hospital though and they're very short needles. It just stings a bit at first.

LOL possibly! Mine isn't yet but I've certainly lost a lot of my upholstery!

Get to 50 posts!

Hope that's helpful. xxxx

1. My first positive change is before food used to always be on my mind, Now its not and the main one for me is how quick the weight los is coming off im 5 weeks post op and lost 3 stone.
I could never ever lose this much on Weight Watchers or Slimming World.

2. I cant even eat a full weetabix and im full, plus i never ever feel hungry... Never get hunger pains.

3. The Dreaded needles, I was terrified when i realised i had to have these, I had to have 30 off them after i came out of Hospital, they are a tiny needle and dont hurt.. Its the bruises that hurt. Also it made all my tummy tissue lumpy which im told is normal, Just finished taking mine !!

Dont worry you will be fine xx

4. I have noticed now my bum doesnt have has mush cushioning, its a nice feeling knowing its smaller, I just now put a cushion on my chair.

If you have anymore questions dont hesitate to ask i was exactly the same as you pre op....

I had to have the jabs for a month too, Id had clots before though so thats why. Theyre not as bad as you think theyre going to be, its just the thought of them I think. Its my last one tonight :D XX

Thanks everyone

From what you've all said, you take the injections for a moth right? I'm glad that you all didn't go though much pain with them.

Good to hear about the eating too. I dont eat alot all of the time. I do have a pig out once in a while, then revert back to eating healthily.

I went to a family do yesterday & they took photos. I saw them, went in the toilet & cried. OMG it was awful :'( I looked twice the size of every one there. I dint know I looked that big. I've been in shock all day.

I cant wait for the bypass.

I now have normal blood sugars and no longer take diabetic medication....

OMG Yes it does!

You do it for a month and there's a nack so it's not so bad. Use your hand to lift your tummy up, and inject into the fattiest bit, don't mess about trying to be gentle just get it in a.s.a.p and whatever you do don't rub it better as it will sting and bruise. I didn't rub and had only 2 bruises, piece of cake!

Yup :) Mine's nowhere near boney yet as i have about 5 stone to get close to my 12 stone target but it's feeling it already, specially at the cinema!

You need 50 posts to do most things on here, get posting on the word association thread!

Tinzaparin is a prescription injection used for the treatment of deep vein thrombosis (DVT) with or without pulmonary embolism. DVT is a condition where blood clots form in the deep veins of the legs. A pulmonary embolism occurs when this blood clot travels to the lungs. Tinzaparin is a member of the low-molecular-weight heparin family of anticoagulants

They give you these injections after surgery, they help to prevent the formation of blood clots which after any surgery you are in danger of getting. Your surgeon will tell you how long you have to take them for, if you are low risk it will probably only be a few days. I only had to take them for a month because I had DVT's before. They have a really small thin needle and dont have to go into a vein, just into the subcutaneous tissue (just under the skin). They dont hurt but they can cause some bruising and the liquid can sting a bit going in. Simples :D Nothing to worry about...you probaly will, we all do lol.....but you will be fine :D XX

Back