• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I'M BACK WITH OP DATE & OHHH IT'S ALL CHANGE HERE .....

tuu

Hi everyone I'm back I've not been in the site for about 4 months and it's all change ....nit sure why I haven't logged on its not that I haven't thought of it I just didn't. ..but now I'm back and need your support and advice co's I'VE GOT MY DATE !!!!! Roux n y Gastric bypass on 28th September at St Richards Chichester......to be honest I wasn't expecting it to be that quick was expecting October November time but had call today from Mr Slaters secretary ....so I feel sort of shell shocked and nervous but also really excited to actually be on countdown to a healthier happier and hopefully THINNER me. So I guess I'll have a million questions to ask ..I've already started listing things to ask at my pre op which is on 23rd August ....will they go through diet aftercare and pre op diets at that appointment does anyone know. Ohhhhh I'm so excited and nervous it isn't true.....any advice and words of wisdom will be do appreciated. Xxxx

Welcome "back" to the forums! Brilliant news you now have your date it will soon start to feel extremely real. They didn't go through aftercare and dietary needs with me at pre op appointment as it was just checking my medical needs and MRSA swabs etc. They should, if not in this appointment, assign you another date where they will go through everything with you. Usually taken by the dietician and physio to go though breathing exercises after your operation. Maybe give the secretary a call to see what's what so you know where you are? Let the count down begin! Can't wait to welcome you to the losers bench xxx

Welcome back :) time seemed to pass a lot quicker once I got my date and I also felt like I immediately forgot all the research I did beforehand! A list of questions is definitely a good idea because as much as we will try and help every hospital or surgeon has their own way of doing WLS so sometimes there isn't just one answer.
Good luck!

Welcome back! And congrats on your date! I have my pre-op tomorrow and my op is 2 weeks today..... eeeekkkkk

I have gone through nervous and excited and now I am just plain scared! Scared, but also giving myself a good talking to every 5 minutes because I know why I made this decision and I know that it is the right thing for me but....... there is part of me that is playing devils advocate and trying to put me off - although I know all the reasons why I need to lose weight and want to lose weight. I am still scared that it is the right thing. I am hoping that by next week these feelings might have eased, but who knows!

Thank you all so much for replies...I'm going to call surgeon secretary today to check will have all diet sheets info etc at pre op app it's a 3 hr drive to hospital so really hope don't have to have another appointment for diet info. ..since learning of surgery date have had terrible headache think it's just me over thinking and worrying...git so many questions I'm starting a list.. I've got appointment with gp end next week to talk about contraception actually that's for a new post I think I've got a few questions on that....lol any other advice on things I should ask will be much appreciated xxx

Thank you all so much for replies...I'm going to call surgeon secretary today to check will have all diet sheets info etc at pre op app it's a 3 hr drive to hospital so really hope don't have to have another appointment for diet info. ..since learning of surgery date have had terrible headache think it's just me over thinking and worrying...git so many questions I'm starting a list.. I've got appointment with gp end next week to talk about contraception actually that's for a new post I think I've got a few questions on that....lol any other advice on things I should ask will be much appreciated xxx
I know you said another post hahaha but I've had the implant as didn't want to have the side effects of pill etc. then again not sure what your questions are :p x

I spoke to chichester today and confirmed I would have everything done including being given diets etc and questions I have answered mrsa test and bloods weight etc done all for.pre op done at my appointment on 23rd Aug so that's good .....I'm getting really excited now obviously apprehensive and have loads of questions I keep thinking of......is it better to take a long nightie or lost fitting pyjamas do you think? Any other suggestions of good things to take I've heard lips gets really dry so perhaps a lip salve and hand cream I can't live without my hand cream anyway ....lol xx

I look long nighties and was fine with that. Lip salve is good. I also took magazines because I didn't have the concentration for books either before or after and plus sharing or leaving them on the ward when you're done with them makes you very popular :)

Well I thought for while about doing a blog looked into it and seemed rather complicated so after couple of friends said yo me about doing one and had I thought about creating Facebook page as a blog I decided to do one ....it will be interesting to look back on and to put down my feelings etc and share pics and tips ...I am bit apprehensive about the fact it's public so could get some unsavoury posts on it I guess but then I will just delete and block at least you can do that with FB...so if you fancy a look seach dixie's weightloss journey with RNY. Xxx

Well we got to.appointment eventually after detour through Lewes which was really busy late but all was fine....firstly they weighed me again and I'd lost another 3kgs so since I first went to GP to start my journey I've lost nearly 2 stone ...to be honest I can't quite believe it as I don't feel like I have but they are pleased with this as it all helps for when you have your surgery. Courteney the bariatric nurse was lovely and she will be my nurse after my op which is great as I'm sure it will be good to see a friendly face. She went through everything with me and we discussed the fact that I have 2 weeks on the milk diet to shrink my liver so the surgeon can get to my stomach easier and makes it easier to perform the operation by keyhole. We talked about vitamins and minerals and the fact that after the op they will.provide me with 6 weeks supply to take home and then I will get them from my doctor and she gave me a envelope with letter address to my doctor to take in so he knows everything he needs to provide as I will need to take vitamins and minerals for the rest of my.life. she suggested that I start taking a multi vitamin and mineral tablet now to build up my resources and also help with things like hair loss after surgery. Apparently this I something that can occur after 3-6 months...ohhh joy.....we discussed visiting times which are fairly strict as obviously everyone in the ward will have just had surgery and feel very poorly. ..she told.me the first couple of days I will feel awful and I will have alot of pain from surgery and not to be worried about asking for pain relief better to pre empt pain relief than wait till its really bad. She said everything at chichester is catered for I the respect of things fitting ie stockings gowns etc everything is for weightloss patients so is plus size. Also she explained that the chance of having my operation cancelled or postponed is very unlikely which is a relief as I know others at different hospitals who have had their surgery cancelled on the day which is awful....I had all my bloods done and mrsa swab taken and I've come away feeling extremely confident and very fortunate to be having my surgery at chichester. Got headache from hell now so going to relax for rest of eve. Xxx

Hi can anyone give me any idea what sort of things you would eat after the surgery for first couple of weeks I know they say get your protein in first but to be honest I'm struggling trying to think what I can have that's High protein and can blitz down to yogurt consistency. ..I'm thinking things like cottage cheese ..tuna and light mayo....what about chicken does that blitz enough or is that for 2nd phase...corned beef? Peanut butter and banana? Thanks hun any help much appreciated ...I went to bbq yesterday and stuffed myself but only had one burger and one sausage but piled plate up with salads new pots etc my mother in law really pissed me off saying ' tuula' in that condescending ( do you realise how much you've got on your plate..are you going to eat all that) way I just said and that is hy I want this done cos even if I hadn't eaten anything else today because of my size people think it's OK to comment ...she really wound me up and then SHE went on to eat two massive slabs of chocolate cake!!!!! Hope your having good bank hol everyone Take care xxxx

Hi can anyone give me any idea what sort of things you would eat after the surgery for first couple of weeks I know they say get your protein in first but to be honest I'm struggling trying to think what I can have that's High protein and can blitz down to yogurt consistency. ..I'm thinking things like cottage cheese ..tuna and light mayo....what about chicken does that blitz enough or is that for 2nd phase...corned beef? Peanut butter and banana? Thanks hun any help much appreciated ...I went to bbq yesterday and stuffed myself but only had one burger and one sausage but piled plate up with salads new pots etc my mother in law really pissed me off saying ' tuula' in that condescending ( do you realise how much you've got on your plate..are you going to eat all that) way I just said and that is hy I want this done cos even if I hadn't eaten anything else today because of my size people think it's OK to comment ...she really wound me up and then SHE went on to eat two massive slabs of chocolate cake!!!!! Hope your having good bank hol everyone Take care xxxx
Mine was a sleeve, but the diet leaflet for first two weeks is liquid only, like milk, very thin yoghurt, extra diluted Slimfast etc. Believe me, they can be a struggle. The foods you mention are for later stage of puree. I would avoid corned beef though as it is full of fat.

Congrats on getting your date!! First 2-3 weeks advice I had for any of the surgery options was liquid only mostly protein shakes or slim fast type drinks.
Then 2-3 weeks of mashed stuff replacing a liquid meal with a mashed meal every few days to move up to all mashed. maybe mixing in protein shake to help blend.
Then soft foods swapping out mashed meals.
Then up to regular foods high in protein.
That's just a general summary; check what your advice is and I can share my food plan if you want/need some more ideas. Keep us updated :)

Hi Tuu

For liquids I had protein shakes and soups. I was going to make my own but ended up buying a variety of fresh soups from Waitrose. Watch out for the sugar content - I aimed for soups with less than 5 g sugar per serving of about 200ml. I also was meant to have 2 pints of milk a day - I didn't manage the full amount.

To increase protein in soup you can add 1 ounce grated cheese, or add milk powder ( I only used cheese).

I had to have 2 protein shakes a day to keep protein high.

Well done on your first day!

Keep focussed on why you are doing it - I was dreading it and was convinced I couldn't do it, but I did do it and it was all worth it to have my operation safely.

This is the last hurdle on your WLS journey - this is what you have aimed for for years/months.

Stay strong!

Back