• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

bit confused,will i need another pre op?

starr

very happy post opper
just wondering if theres a time limit on the pre op assessment checks , i had mine back in march/april.but my gastric bypass/gall bladder removal,has been cancelled and awaiting a new date in sempember, because of clerical errors,will i need to have it redone or will they just use the blood results and b/p check on day of surgery?,like a lot of others on here my hospital is almost 100 miles away,so would be yet another long journey and day of ecgs and tests and gall bladder scans ,which have already been done ,has anyone been in this situation?thanks for reading x

Firstly, sorry to hear about the cancellation. Why has that happened?

I was told that from the pre op, my op would be in six months time, so it must be ok for 6 months. I too was c&w hospital.

im very happy with c&w,been lovely but i was given a date by someone standing in for my surgeons sec/admissions ,6thjuly,but was told 2 weeks before it,that it was a mistake ,and the lady who toldme shouldnt have called me,was a real choker but things happen,i can wait ,just so frustrating, but my turn will come soon,and i feel better that you were told a 6 month wait from pre op to op is ok, thankyou x

:)Hope your pre-op tests from March will be good for Sept Dawn....
....fingers crossed for youxxx

but I suppose if any repeats are needed they will be in your best interests

yeah , i know , just seems such a waste of nhs moneys to do them again ,i had scans,xrays ,ecgs,,,mainly for the gall bladder op,checking any stones were not blocking ducts ,(i had a blockage in the duct before),was on the waiting list for 18mths at a diff hospital to have gall bladder out ,then moved to c&w for a combined g/bypass and g/b op,so the 18 wait was wiped,now been waiting another year on this list,does drive you insane some days,but hey ho! lol x

spoke to a mate today who went for her surgery and was sent home because her mrsa swabs were out of date ,they only last for 6 months , so please if youve had a big wait between pre op and surgery check to see if you need and tests redone , to save the heartache x

Dawn,

Why not get your GP's surgery to repeat the bloods & MRSA swabs (mine were nasal and groin area) and then you've got the results for them to check at C&W - you could ring the Bariatric team to ask them for advice on this and whether the other results will be able to stand, if not perhaps you can get them done locally to speed things up.

Tatiana

dawn i was told by my dr for sleep ap that if u make a fuss like write a letter once a week call them once a week i wrote mine asking for a date at the bottom of the letter i would call and ring once a week they would want to get u done

Hi Starr, My PCT's pre assessment is only good for 3 months. I was told this when I saw the surgeon. They aim to do the op within 3 mnths of the PA but if for any reason they don't they do a repeat. :sigh: I would ring to check to avoid any last minute problems :)

hi gang ,thanks for all your advice x mines fine , this was an old post , i had to get my swabs redone 2 weeks ago for my op date in september ,,so mines sorted , but my mate was given a cancellation ,and it was all a rush and the cancelled! , felt so sorry for her ,,,i posted it just incase others needed to get them redone ,,,,xxxxxxxx,iv had my pre op done twice now,so im raring to go! ,but have been promised nothing will stop it this time , x

Starr,

When I went on Monday for my PA they did the MRSA swabs then and gave me the forms for the bloods with a letter saying I have to have them done 1-2 weels before the op date (5 days before you!!) and then ring them on a specific number to let them know so they can look for the results.

With mine they have requested what I call the 'usual' bloods (I have mine checked monthly because of the drugs I take) and then clotting and group and save - in case of bleeding during surgery.

I think I will go the day I start my pre-op diet then the blood results won't be affected by the change in diet (not that I expect it to be greatly altered!!)

Tatiana

are you excited Tatiana? , im so excited i feel sick lol ,like a kid at christmas!countin the sleeps,,,will keep checking on your posts ,just to see how it all goes , and can you put ya bag on the bench til i join ya please! good luck lol

Hi Dawn,

I'm really excited - I packed my hospital bag the day I got my date even though it was 5 weeks in advance of the op!! This morning I got the revised diet sheet for the liver shrinkage pre-op diet, two weeks tomorrow until I start it!!

Just goes to show it's all systems go - just on hold to GP's while they find out if I can get the group and save done at the surgery or if I have to go to the hospital!!

And, the answer is ................... Yes!!

And booked an appointment for September 5th with GP to get prescriptions for supplements and things like fybogel which I have to start pre-op!!

Tatiana

so exciting ,i asked my gp for my medication to be changed to liquids and to sort out any vits and sups that i may need after op ,and he refused, said id have to wait till im discharged with meds from hospital before he can sort out my after care ,think his gonna be hard work,i will go see another doctor at the practice who hopefully understands bariatric patients needs more ,i just hope thet discharge me with all i need , ,,,,,keep trying to think of what to eat on my liver diet when it starts ,lots of curried veg i expect lol

Beware of thinking 'I'll eat lots of curried veg' - my new diet sheet doesn't allow the following veggies.........

onions
potatoes
yam
taro
parsnips
turnips
swede
radish
beetroot
peas
beas or pulses
carrots

Doesn't leave many veggies to curry!!

in regards to meds, I was advised to speak to the pharmacist first so will do that when I go to collect a prescription today. I do have to get the prescription for the supplements and fybogel anyway and have a very supportive GP!!

Good luck at the practice when you go back!!

Tatiana

Back