• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Bit of a wobble, excuse the pun!

phatmomma

Hit a bit of a wobble yesterday, wondering if it's normal or not.

Was out with my fiance and realised a lot of our joint pleasure is actually buying or eating food. Does that make us sound like gannets? If so please don't think it because its not true, although yes i am morbidly obese. Anyway we sat eating lunch and it struck me, most of our time when we have no children around (even when we do have kids around) we are spending thinking what to do for tea or shall we go somewhere for a meal. Even whizzing round tesco express i'm thinking shall i take something nice for me and himself.... My dilemma is, what about when my focus is to NOT think about food all the time.. What are we gonna focus on? Will it be a case of 'them' and ME?

I so want my operation and briefly this did put me right on a wobbly path....

Has anyone else worried about this?

Thanks Margaret, guess i'll just have to find a hobby hey? lol xx

Hit a bit of a wobble yesterday, wondering if it's normal or not.

Was out with my fiance and realised a lot of our joint pleasure is actually buying or eating food. Does that make us sound like gannets? If so please don't think it because its not true, although yes i am morbidly obese. Anyway we sat eating lunch and it struck me, most of our time when we have no children around (even when we do have kids around) we are spending thinking what to do for tea or shall we go somewhere for a meal. Even whizzing round tesco express i'm thinking shall i take something nice for me and himself.... My dilemma is, what about when my focus is to NOT think about food all the time.. What are we gonna focus on? Will it be a case of 'them' and ME?

I so want my operation and briefly this did put me right on a wobbly path....

Has anyone else worried about this?

Hi, Julie,
Yes - I've had the same thoughts myself. I'm thinking that the key is to break habits and change rituals.
Easy to say - probably not so easy to do. :rolleyes: xxx

I think we all have wobbles of one sort or another, I know I do. Yes, you will be eating different things, but after a while you could probably eat the same as your OH only smaller portions. FGS08 has just recently described a similar "diet" and look how well she has done. I have the "benefit" of not having to cook for or eat with others. Well, not yet...:D

This whole business I am convinced is more about the head than the gob. I have had 12 months to ponder it and know that this is my last chance, but it doesn't stop me having doubts.

I think the whole thing will get into perspective once we have our ops.

This is something I've wondered about too. Meals are an important part of our family life, even though my OH is slim he eats a lot. The other day my son told me that he was worried that I'd stop cooking. I really don't know how I'm going to feel about food after my op and if cooking will become a chore. I've always thought that I cook better when I'm on a diet because I try extra hard for the family - will I still feel like that? I don't know. xx

Nothing changes post op, you will still think about food, initially in the early stages you will be off food and it wont seem to be such an important thing in your life, but eventually your hunger returns and your range of foods will expand, i'm just over a year post op and can eat pretty much anything just in smaller portions than pre op, food is on my mind most of the time thinking about what to have for lunch or tea and i still look forward to eating, the bypass may seem and feel like a life a sentence at first, but eventually things do get back to normal and it wont be that bad.

I posted a thread a few months back saying 'Sorry but I still love food' and I do! I LOVE eating out, I look forward to making a nice meal at home and spend lots of time planning and buying food. I find it exciting to think of new healthy foods to try and new ways to prepare old favs that are pouch friendly. My hubby loves me for lots of reasons but a big one is for my cooking, I think if I totatlly went off food & cooking he would really suffer! As it is, I had a couple of months (about 8-9 weeks directly post-op) where I cooked for my self but not really considering him, he would eat what I was eating of fend for himself. After I was completely on normal food I began cooking and enjoying meals right along with hubby. In fact I have become more adventurous post-surgery and have found new dishes that I can't live without. So put your mind at rest, I eat well, enjoy meals with hubby, dine out at just about any place I like and think about/plan for & relish cooking & eating!!!

Nic:D

if i'm not at work, i'm in tescos.
one thing that 4 week milk diet tought me is that i enjoyed not having to think about food. hubby fended for himself, and he enjoyed that, he could have what ever he wanted "he can eat and eat and still stay slim", but he is out numbered because my daughter is having the opp too.

I posted a thread a few months back saying 'Sorry but I still love food' and I do! I LOVE eating out, I look forward to making a nice meal at home and spend lots of time planning and buying food. I find it exciting to think of new healthy foods to try and new ways to prepare old favs that are pouch friendly. My hubby loves me for lots of reasons but a big one is for my cooking, I think if I totatlly went off food & cooking he would really suffer! As it is, I had a couple of months (about 8-9 weeks directly post-op) where I cooked for my self but not really considering him, he would eat what I was eating of fend for himself. After I was completely on normal food I began cooking and enjoying meals right along with hubby. In fact I have become more adventurous post-surgery and have found new dishes that I can't live without. So put your mind at rest, I eat well, enjoy meals with hubby, dine out at just about any place I like and think about/plan for & relish cooking & eating!!!

Nic:D

im with nic and silver surfer all the way. i probably eatout more now than i did pre op. My son is now eating a much healither diet because i no longer buy crap whan i go shopping. In fact i sorted my food cupbourds out the other day and the amount of stuff i threw because it was out of date was unbelievable.

My husband is a chef so for us this was a big worry but it seems to be working out ok.

He has always cooked for us both (him being such a good cook is probably the reason I got so fat..lol) but now although he still cooks, he's had to learn not to cook such big portions and watch what he's putting in them.

We also ate out a lot with his Chef mates which is proving difficult because we miss that, but we chatted about it and decided that we could fill that social gap with other things like long walks, swimming, dancing etc which is what we are doing.

I honestly thought this operation would make us drift apart because we both loved food so much, but in all honesty I would say it has had the opposite effect and we are actually doing more together now. he's also lost two stone which is good and I have to say that I've been so glad of his cooking skills when it came down to living off soups etc.

I am still the same. I am so used to coming out of church Sunday lunch times, and talking about which country pub we are going to head to for dinner, it's weird not doing that.

So today I came home and cooked a nice lunch for everyone, and I had blended cauliflower cheese. I still enjoy cooking, even when I am not eating it!

When I am on food again we will still go out for our carverys and sunday lunch, and the good thing is most places only charge me for a child portion of a carvery as I am vegetarian, so I don't have to worry about paying £6 odd for dinner and only eating a quarter of it.

We like to go out for days out a lot, especially National Trust and English Heritage places, and I have actually known us chose where to go for a trip based on how good the cafeteria/restaurant is. Maybe now we will actually get to enjoy the places that have rubbish coffee shops!

It's hard when the other half has a big appetite, and I have 3 constantly hungry children too. I am just hoping that the positivity I am experiencing at the moment lasts a bit longer!

I just need to train myself and the hubby that just because we are both shattered after a long day at work, there is no excuse for just getting a take away!

Good luck, the walking/dancing idea sounds great. I would love to do something like that but with 3 young children and no babysitters we can only do things seperately, which is rubbish. You are lucky.

Rx

Great thread ... I wondered the same thing initially pre-op. After the op until now I sometimes feel there is a void in my life - almost as if I have mourned the death of my relationship with food.

I think now that I am forging a new relationship with food which is healthier cos I have to now stop eating when I am full even if it is only a few mouthfuls! Also a lot of the sweet things I loved are no longer tasty to me.

As the weight drops off I am coming to terms with the amount of food I used to eat and the amount of time I used to spend thinking about food. And its now more important for me to feel good about myself - inside and out!!

This has been the hardest thing - its not just about what goes in your mouth but also what happens in your head.

Great thread ... I wondered the same thing initially pre-op. After the op until now I sometimes feel there is a void in my life - almost as if I have mourned the death of my relationship with food.

I think now that I am forging a new relationship with food which is healthier cos I have to now stop eating when I am full even if it is only a few mouthfuls! Also a lot of the sweet things I loved are no longer tasty to me.

As the weight drops off I am coming to terms with the amount of food I used to eat and the amount of time I used to spend thinking about food. And its now more important for me to feel good about myself - inside and out!!

This has been the hardest thing - its not just about what goes in your mouth but also what happens in your head.

Great reply, can't wait for the day a little fills more than the amount it takes to fill my stomach now x

My relaitionship with food has improved so much i can now relax around food it doesnt worry me anymore, how much can i eat, i should,nt eat this, i carnt have that as i'm on a diet ect. I go out more now for a meal than i ever did before as i was always on a diet. I only eat a tiny portion but hubby finishes mine off as he is thin as a lath and never puts weight on. :D:D:D

Back