• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Duodenal Switch Bit of an update

angiemason

Well i had my op at end of last November , i've lost over 11st and am 9lb off my target :) but i still have problems with aneania, and feeling very tired and weak, i have muscle wastage and am having my gall bladder out in next month or so :( it another 3 holes Mr Kerrigan said is that ok well I had 9 with my DS and have a large scar from double umbilical hernia so what's another 3 :) plus 2 section scars so if my hubby gets bored he can make a map of the stars on my tummy :)
I'm size 14 going down to 12 so am very happy about all that :)it has cost a fortune to keep getting new clothes but i usually only buy off sale rails but think it will stay more or less the same now so will buy some winter things coz i haven't got any at all.
I tried my wedding dress on the other dau to see if i could take it to the dress shop to get altered to make a nice evening type dress as it's a lovely purple raw silk material but NO CHANCE all the pieces would have to be taken apart and it would need a whole new dress making so i might just get a pattern and have a go myself :) well hope everyone is ok and keeping well and healthy xx love to you all
Angie xxxxx

hi hune you look so amazing and only 12 months and wow what a difference and over 100 lbs, can i ask was it very very difficult. when you look in the mirror you must feel like a different person. do you feel it? do you miss eating the food you used to be able i must confess that i am a bit concerned about that, but also that will be a good thing if you know what i mean. you must be so chuffed congratulations hune well done!

Hi I'm new I had a sleeve two years ago and in march this year I had a duedonial switch I am doing well before my first surgery I was 27st now I'm 16st 4ib and like you I'm forever changeling my wardrobe I see your haveing gall bladder removed I had mine taken out when they done the switch

Hi i've got to be honest no i don't really miss the food i used to eat because every time i was eating it i knew it was pushing me nearer to a stroke or heart attack or even something worse, i have to admit i wondered what had i done in the first few weeks or even months after the op , i was really struggling getting enough food in especially the 100grms protein and i felt really weak and still do to a point and as i said am always aneamic,but i still feel it's been worth it, i wake up every day not wondering if i am going to be embarrassed by something my big fat body looks like or if i can fit on a bus seat or dare sit next to someone because i'm so fat...I still cannot believe the change so quickly i thought by this time next year i might look like this but never dared to think within 10 months...whatever you do don't give up :) and if there's anything i can help with just let me know xx

Truly inspirational. Well done with your journey. I can't stop buying clothes dispite the fact that they end up too big for me. I have found it so liberating. Last week just being able to do up the seat belt on an aeroplane & have lots of belt spare instead of having to ask for an extension belt was sooooo rewarding. I still struggle with trying to eat but coping with the help of my lovely hospital team & protein shakes & drinks. I still go out to restaurants but only taste the food to be sociable. feels odd having to eat to live rather than live to eat. Good luck With the coming months. I'm sure you will continue to be a success.

I've been wondering how you've been doing & am glad to see how happy you are. Congrats.

Sorry to hear about the gb - but I know [you know] it's not uncommon. I had mine out 3 years post DS. Can't really see those lap or the DS lap scars.

I'm more concerned about the anemia. I assume you've been taking iron supplements all along; however, have they discussed iron infusions with you?

RE: muscle wasting. Once you're finished with your gb surgery & get your iron where you need it, have you thought about weight lifting? I know it's hard to think of it now, but it does help in that area & bone density which is also something DSers watch for.

Hope all goes well for you & you feel better soon.

I agree, absolutely fantastic weight loss so well done!

I, too, am concerned about the muscle wastage and the anaemia. I am a great believer in the saying 'the squeaky wheel gets the grease' - in other words, your Team probably see an awful lot of patients so it is usually wise to keep reminding them that you have concerns that need to be addressed!

Anaemia can be serious, as, I am sure, can muscle wastage. Don't just think, oh, I can't bother them with this, they are so busy... This is your life, your body, your health both present and future.

Congratulations again and all the best x

i do take my iron and even had extra to take as well from my gp but regarding the weights i have rheumatoid arthiritis and my shoulders and arms are quite badly affected so i really can't do them, i have physio to do exercises which involve using the muscles in my legs and arms , they are looking at infusions at the moment because is just can't seem to keep the levels up, but as i am on tablets for the rheumatoid they can affect blood as well but i am better with them than without so we will just have to see what happens xx thanks for the advise and support :)

I hope they can help you Angie - you have done so well! I can only imagine how hard it is not to have the energy you are always told you will have if you could just lose the weight - how many times have we all heard that!

i do take my iron and even had extra to take as well from my gp but regarding the weights i have rheumatoid arthritis and my shoulders and arms are quite badly affected so i really can't do them, i have physio to do exercises which involve using the muscles in my legs and arms , they are looking at infusions at the moment because is just can't seem to keep the levels up, but as i am on tablets for the rheumatoid they can affect blood as well but i am better with them than without so we will just have to see what happens xx thanks for the advise and support :)
Okay, then I can definitely understand why weight lifting wouldn't be for you. I'm so glad you're doing some PT, though. It can't do anything but help.

Glad they're looking at the iron infusions [& I hope they can figure out how you can get them with the RA]. I know a couple of DSers who've had them & they've helped.

well another blood test tomorrow will see how that goes xx got to have chest xray as well now to make sure the old ticker is working ok coz that can cause problems with oxygen levels etc :)and at the moment i'm full of cold and feel rubbish anyway so not eaten much this week which i know won't help but that's just how it is with a cold . I think i might have to start doing impressions of Aunt sally just so i can get some colour in my face :)

Wish you speedy recovery fom your cold. X

i went to a family party last night somewhere i haven't been since long before my op :) there were people who didn't even recpgnise me and when i spoke to them they couldn't believe the difference :) i still find it hard taking compliments but think after so many last night i will get used to them now :) and it's a good job my hubby isn't the jealous type or it could've been a bit more awkward with all the attention but none of them were crude compliments and i think he was quite proud really :)

well got my appt this morning to see the surgeon for my gall bladder op,thurs 15/11/2012 still a bit worried it has to be done by nhs surgeon not bariatric because my surgeon Mr kerrigan is no longer dealing with Gravitas or Spire hospital. I can't believe i am still supposed to have another year care by Gravitas and they no longer exist ? the spire hospital at Blackpool have contacted me and i will be seen by them but none of their surgeons has done DS ? i am beginning to think i really made the wrong decision with my op especially as i have had a pain on the left hand side every day now for about a week :( but have appt at blackpool 22/11/2012 so will see what they say xx

angiemason said:
well got my appt this morning to see the surgeon for my gall bladder op,thurs 15/11/2012 still a bit worried it has to be done by nhs surgeon not bariatric because my surgeon Mr kerrigan is no longer dealing with Gravitas or Spire hospital. I can't believe i am still supposed to have another year care by Gravitas and they no longer exist ? the spire hospital at Blackpool have contacted me and i will be seen by them but none of their surgeons has done DS ? i am beginning to think i really made the wrong decision with my op especially as i have had a pain on the left hand side every day now for about a week :( but have appt at blackpool 22/11/2012 so will see what they say xx

Hi Angie,you are quite right that Mr Kerrigan and spire have parted company,this happened right slap bang in the week leading up to my op 2 weeks ago.I had a change of hospital not only once but twice in the preceding week,eventually I had my op but not with spire but with Phoenix health,that is where mr Kerrigan and his team have moved to,all my after care etc will be done by Phoenix same terms as gravitas,although everything was up in the air for that week I am glad now that I wasn't left with spire as I would probably be having the same problems as you are now,although Unlike you I haven't got another op to face.Fingers crossed you get sorted out with Blackpool good luck.Gail

Thanks Gail i just wish they'd let me know i#d had appt with mr kerrigan on 5th sept and he said he would apply for funding for my gall bladder op because nhs surgeons won't want to do it because of the way my anatomy has changed and it was only when i phoned a couple of weeks ago to find out when i would hear anything thye told me, i could just've been waiting for god knows how long :( so i now have to use nhs surgeon and hope he is well prepared but will make sure he has all the details when i see him on 15th

angiemason said:
Thanks Gail i just wish they'd let me know i#d had appt with mr kerrigan on 5th sept and he said he would apply for funding for my gall bladder op because nhs surgeons won't want to do it because of the way my anatomy has changed and it was only when i phoned a couple of weeks ago to find out when i would hear anything thye told me, i could just've been waiting for god knows how long :( so i now have to use nhs surgeon and hope he is well prepared but will make sure he has all the details when i see him on 15th

Lets know how you get on Angie,a bit unsettling is an understatement.If you ever need to get on touch with Mr Kerrigan,you can still contact his team via the old gravitas number from murrayfield,as that has transferred with them,as I said good luck with your new appointment on the 15th,by the way do you live near Blackpool?or have they got you travelling miles now?

Back