• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Blisters and other questions.....??

kateyloo

Hi All,

Well it's been a week now since my bypass and I am well on the road to recovery - now that I am out of the worst I do have a couple of things praying on my mind that I hope some of you maybe able to help me with....... so here goes:

1) I seem to have developed little blisters near to my incision marks, they are not painful (maybe a little itchy) but just strange - did anyone else experience anything like this?

2) I am on liquids for the next 4 weeks - this includes creamed soups, fruit juices and yogurts - I have also started having a protein shake twice a day to help with that (lean dessert thanks to another post I read on here :) ) - I was told I would probably only be able to take a down a little at a time - I started only managing only half a tin of soup and now I can do the whole can and more - granted it takes me half hour or so to actual finish it but it does seem quite a lot from what I first expected - does anyone know how much you can usually expect to have?

I am worried that I am over doing it - I did have an episode a couple of days out of the hospital where I felt really tender and bloated but after a lie down it went - I don't think it was dumping because I didn't have any of the other episodes others have described - although I am really worried when (or if) I experience that!

So, any advice from seasoned bypassers would be lovely xxx

Hi Kateyloo. I'm glad to hear you're feeling a bit better.
The little blisters...hmmmm.....are you allergic to the dressings they put on? That's the only thing I can think of. I certainly didn't experience anything like that.

As for your volume intake. Try not to worry. The thing with only having liquids is that it kind of slips straight through your pouch, so you don't feel much in the way of restriction. That's especially true if you're sipping it slowly.
Once you move onto puree food , and even more with solid food, you will certainly begin to feel restriction.
Keep sipping away at the fluids too; your fluid intake is really important at this stage.
Grace xxx

Hiya, like Grace says, don't worry too much about how much fluids you can get down at the moment, it more or less slips straight through your pouch like going down a plug hole. When you move onto sloppies/solids, restriction will kick in. As for the blisters, as Grace mentioned also, sounds like you are allergic to them.....when I peeled one of the dressing off a few days post-op, it peeled a big chunk of skin away with it too, so try to soak them off if you can when they're ready to come off!

Sorry i can't help with the blisters as i never had one. I did have my dressing off as soon post op as i could but then i was glued and only had one wound (albeit 8 inches). If you are concerned go ask your practice nurse about them...

As for the soup, don't worry about it. It's a fluid and is passing straight through your pouch. Once you start on food with more substance you will feel your restriction big time.

Be sure to take the time to rest and recover xx

Well.......youve had all the answers you need there lol....I was going to say exactly the same ;) Hope your recovery carries on going well XX

Back