• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Questions

diesel

Hi as some off you know i have my date with the surgeon on the 4th March but i have a couple of niggles that i am hoping you can help me with,

1,Why do you see the anesthetist when you see the surgeon and what does he ask you.
2 what does the surgeon ask you.
3.And my biggest worry is that you all talk about funding and i have not heard any thing about being given funding.My gP spoke about it the beginning and said she had to write to the PCT but not heard any thing since.But surely if there was no funding i would not be seeing the surgeon.
Can any one please help me on these questions as i am getting worried.
Thanks Hilary xx:confused::confused::confused:

Hi Hilary. I can only answer your questions in the vaguest of ways because each area does things differently. I didn't see an aneasthetist until the morning of my op. I guess in any case that he/she will just want to check you are fit for surgery and anaesthetic, that is their remit.
The surgeon - well mine asked about my eating habits and discussed what type of surgery would be best for me.
About the funding - again different areas do it differently. I had my funding in place before referral because that's the only way my GP would refer me; some have their funding applied for by the hospital team. If you're not sure, the best thing to do is ask at your appointment.
Remember, your appointment is for yo to ASK questions as well as answer them! It might be a good idea to make a list of questions which you want answering before you go.
Grace xxx

Hi Grace.Thanks for answering me,i will do what you advise and make a list.I see the surgeon on march the 4th so please keep your fingers crossed for me.
Hilary x

Absolutely! That's my wedding anniversary so I'll remember that day!

Hi Diesel, I saw the aneasthetist on the morning of my surgery too. He asked a few general health, allergy and previous op history questions and then spent some time with me just as I went in for surgery, putting in lines etc.

The surgeon asks about your general health, previous ops, eating habits, your ideal weight, goal date etc and decides what op is best for you and if it is a bypass, what length the limbs should be etc. To be honest it was mainly the nurses who did the in-depth questioning!

Sorry can't answer your questions about NHS funding but hopefully everything is in place for you.

Hilary..I had to fight for my funding before I would get referred to the L&D..
But then my P.C.T is Northamptonshire...
I have a copy of my "offer of funding" so does my G.p It may be worth ringing your surgery and asking someone to go through your records to see if its on file....It will put your mind at rest..
As i am pre op i cant answer the other questions.but each time i seen anaesthetist its to see if you are fit for surgery and to check if you have reactions from previous surgery's.

ohhh I feel excited for you.. xx

Grace said:
Absolutely! That's my wedding anniversary so I'll remember that day!

Mine too :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Hilary, I saw the anaethetist on the same appt as the nurse, dietician and surgeon. It was him who decided that I had to wait until my breathing was sorted a bit before the op and him I spent most time with. He also went through previous ops, family history, medications etc.

The nurse actually told me that he was the most important person and had the final decision whether the op could go ahead or not.

The surgeon just asked about eating habits and then told me a bypass was best. He then explained the op to me in detail, and that was it. All in all I was only with surgeon ten minutes or so.

Funding is different in each area, mine was in place before I had my pre op appt. Maybe as Lisa suggested, a quick call to your GP would put your mind at rest.

Good luck with it.

hi guys, thanks for all your advise. i rang my gp first thing this morning as been awake most of night worrying about it all. the receptionist said she couldnt look through my file so i have to ring my gp at 3.00 pm this afternoon for a phone appointment so can ask her then. my hubby thinks that i would not have been allowed to get right up to seeing the surgeon if there was no funding in place and i do tend to agree but still would like it confirmed by my gp to stop me worrying. will let you all know later what she says so keep your fingers crossed that all has been sorted and i do have funding. if not, god know what i will do!! xxx

my funding was sorted before I even got my first appointment at the L&D

Hi as some off you know i have my date with the surgeon on the 4th March but i have a couple of niggles that i am hoping you can help me with,

1,Why do you see the anesthetist when you see the surgeon and what does he ask you.
2 what does the surgeon ask you.
3.And my biggest worry is that you all talk about funding and i have not heard any thing about being given funding.My gP spoke about it the beginning and said she had to write to the PCT but not heard any thing since.But surely if there was no funding i would not be seeing the surgeon.
Can any one please help me on these questions as i am getting worried.
Thanks Hilary xx:confused::confused::confused:

Hi....The Anesthtist sees you as he has his own questions to ask, he checks your neck and chin, makes sure u have no loose teeth etc.
The surgeon asks you what you want and advises you what he can do for you band/sleave/bypass etc:
Have you been asked to pick a hospital if u have picked a hospital then u have the funding.

Back