• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Blog: One week post bypass update

Yoyo-nomore

Going to keep a mini blog on here if that's okay. Finding the support really helpful.

One week on from gastric bypass op.

I'm in good shape. Didn't need pain killers from the moment I left hospital on Friday. Spent the weekend with the kids in the garden, kicked the odd ball around, went to a fun run (spectating), went back to work on Monday and apart from being knackered by the evening, the odd twinge and an episode of the runs I feel pretty okay.

I am hungry though... sick of cambridge diet shakes, water and the chewy vitamin highlight to my day. So I've had a hot chocolate (bliss).. and I think I might move on to something pureed or at least a yoghurt and live with the guilt. I guess I'm confessing on here to see if I get a barage of 'no don't it' responses or not.

Went to see the nurse on Tuesday, who told me off for changing my steri strips and plasters every day (no-one told me I shouldn't be). Told me I could shower - - hoorah without the cling-film etc ...

She thinks I'm borderline anaemic based on my eyes... not sure what I can do about it given the liquid diet. She also gave me a talking to about overdoing it, but I figure the surgeon's advice was the more you do the better and I feel fine mostly.

Delighted that today is the last self injection day .. hated doing that.

Not seeing any weight drop on the scales, but I've started to get comments from colleagues. This operation is going to drive referrals to Cambridge diet as I'm lying and saying that's what I'm doing and my team are now all looking it up!!

Very noisy tummy all day... bit of hunger and a slightly sore side is so far much much more maneagable than I'd reckoned on.

Think I've been pretty lucky. Hope it's okay to keep a record on here.
yoyo

You can get ferrous fumerate sugar free liquid, which is an alternative to iron tablets. Much easier on the stomach too. Prescription only.

Hi i enjoyed reading your blog, the tummy qill be noisy for a long time, and your body will tell you when its tired, listen to it. moving around gently is good as it helps shift any trapped wind. can't help with the iron as its not come up in a conversation other then the dietitian ask me if i was taking any

10 days post op.

Watched my operation on DVD this morning.. and ewhhhh......peculiar to see one's own insides. Fascinating viewing for me, although hubbie and to retire to other room (could hear retching...only kidding). Saw my liver - - finally a part of my body that looks in reasonable shape - - and was able to see the bypass staple the pounch and then reroute the connecting plumbing. Amazingly didn't look all that complicated.

Week at work was dire, but can't blame the operation, just the job! Think I'm determined to leave. Have started taking liquid iron and liquid calcium on top of the chewy vitamin to supplmenet mineral intake and ensure I don't get anaemic.

My bad news, is that I haven't lost any weight.. not a smigeon. Bought new scales, and the news was even worse. I can't see how it's possible and I'm feeling very down about it. I figured I'd lose quite a lot of weight in the first few weeks and not to have lost even one pound since the operation is just grrrrrrrr..

On a more positive note, I am physically fine. Hanging out with family and paddling pool in the sun - - - fabulous... on and glad the plasters are all off.

Hugs to all.. mind you heads if you go out this afternoon as I might be throwing my scales out of the window.

Yoyo

Wow how cool to get to see your op I am so jealous!....really enjoy your updates and will follow your progress...I am lucky that I dont need the iron as it does not sit easy on my stomach (or whats left of it). However, before anyone jumps all over me my iron levels are being monitored by my GP. Get rest when you need it chick..xx

hiya. Great to read your story. Are you back at work already?

Don't worry about the weight loss in the early days. You are still swollen post op, and will be retaining water. Also, as your intake is low, your body can go into starvation mode and try to hold on to everything.

As your food intake increases, it will soon start to disappear.

Thanks all. If I can't lose weight on broth with a bypass I'm donating my body to science .... Or I guess I could see if Surgicare would do a 'no lose/no fee' option on a refund?..... I'd really hate to be the first woman in history not to lose weight with WLS !

Yes, went back to work the Monday after a Wed op (5 days post op) as I am keeping it secret. It was completely fine for me with the commute, but its seems everyone is very different with the after experience and I've been really lucky with my recovery compared to others. I didn't have any gas pain, just a bit of wind and wound ache, and I have 2 children under 3 and a lovely husband who lacks any empathy, so a relaxing convalesence wasn't really on the cards anyways. The office was probably the calmest place I could have been.

I've long maintained stay at home mothers have the hardest job.

Well - 2.5 weeks post op and time to just update .

Transitioned onto purees this week (I'd been having the odd scrambled egg, sucked bits of bread etc before then). First purreeed meal was a disaster. Was bit of a twit and ate quickly, while standing up and feeding the brood, took a few bites and had excrutiating chest pain. Had to stand over sink, desperate to burp or hurl, and cling on for deal life until it passed. Freaked out the kids. I learned my lesson..

Been fine since then. I read on here about needing lots of protein but my dietician and provider just tell me to puree what I would eat normally and keep up the supplements. Liquid iron though is minging.... evil possibly...

Finally also started to lose weight... took 2 weeks post op for it to show up, but have dropped a dress size and look different.

I've been quite bouncy all round. Recovered mega fast, energy levels fine, able to work a 11 hour day no problems, run about, drive, throw the children around, kick a ball, prat about as normal, scars look tiny and I think only 3 of them will end up being vaguely visible in time.

Had the odd 'runs' episode but so far nothing sweet or fatty has made my 'dump' per se. I have gone off some old comfort foods and I am freaking freezing today...... but I'm fairly sure that's metabolism slowing down as I've experienced intense cold before when on a diet.

ALso learning about myself. It's no wonder I gained weight to start with as I have real rebel tendencies. If the rules say don't, I'll think... well I've just give it a go.... and that's just dim. Even as I write this, I know I'm likely to still 'rebel'..... even though the only person who'd suffer would be me ......perhaps some of us are just wired that way

Feel much more positive about the future, started to arrange more social things in the future and am even booking a holiday which would require me to inflict my flab on the viewing beach public.

Thanks for all the support...so far so good.
yoyo

WOW, you have had an incedible, quick recovery. That is just terrific. Hope you get the hang of listening to your body, it will stop some of the eating discomfort & runs. We all have to learn in our own way, yours really seems to be working for you. Glad you can see some weight coming off now, I know it is a bit discouraging to see nothing in the early days. I was bloated for about 2 weeks and actually found some previously loose things tight! I also struggled with 'love it or throw it' scale syndrome. It all get easier with time. You are doing really well.

I just really hope you are never in the situation where the sign says 'never push this button' because I have a feeling you would, lol!

Nic:D

:hug99: Wow! I think it's fantastic that you've just taken the whole op in your stride. You sound very upbeat and positive. Great news about the weight loss too. I feel really thrilled for you. Can't wait for my turn. Zxx

Back