• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Bmi before nhs funded surgery

Missymo

Hi everyone
Just a quick question,would some of you lovely people mind divulging your bmi and if you gave co morbidities,before surgery.sorry to be nosey but im just wondering if mine is quite low (its 46,no comorbidities)
If this seems really rude then im sorry but I'm trying to understand if i would get surgery funding after tier 3.
Thank you in advance and i hope wherever you are on your weight loss journey may you continue and be successful xxxx

Hi everyone
Just a quick question,would some of you lovely people mind divulging your bmi and if you gave co morbidities,before surgery.sorry to be nosey but im just wondering if mine is quite low (its 46,no comorbidities)
If this seems really rude then im sorry but I'm trying to understand if i would get surgery funding after tier 3.
Thank you in advance and i hope wherever you are on your weight loss journey may you continue and be successful xxxx
Not a rude question at all. I had a BMI of over 55 with T2 diabetes and high blood pressure as my co-morbidities. I was told I needed a BMI of over 35 to qualify. Each CCG area has different guidelines so 46 may be ok for you without any co-morbidities but wouldn't be sure. Best to ask your GP who should know.

Thank you,as our pct is adopting a new weight management programme,the previous one (weigh ahead) finished in April I did ask the doc what the criteria for surgery was as my bmi was 46 she just ignored the question and said wait for a phone call from the new "family wellbeing platform" i have a feeling my bmi is too low(no comorbidities)

Thank you,as our pct is adopting a new weight management programme,the previous one (weigh ahead) finished in April I did ask the doc what the criteria for surgery was as my bmi was 46 she just ignored the question and said wait for a phone call from the new "family wellbeing platform" i have a feeling my bmi is too low(no comorbidities)
There is more and more NHS WLS surgery being done as they are finding it more cost effective than diabetes/stroke treatment. I know you don't have them yet but I think word is getting out that prevention is better. Hopefully, if they are restructuring services then it may be considered. When my area was a PCT they wouldn't do it at all.

Whatever you might be offered if available, you will have to prove you are capable of losing some weight on your own - I lost two stone and had to go through many work ups before I was offered the surgery and then had to wait 7 months on the waiting list. A quick fix it isn't as I asked for a referral in January 15 and had my sleeve done 3 weeks ago!

Good luck with your weight loss.

Hi my bmi is 43 and I have no co morbidities - in Wolverhampton that is sufficient to go straight to WLS. In Stafford I was told I would have to do tier 3 for 6 months first!
Shows the difference in pct funding guidelines.

When I went to GP my bmi was 49.7, when I went to first appointment last week it had gone up to 50. Something, since last week I've lost 7.5lb and it's now 48.

Mine was 36, co morbs being incisional hernia,oesophagitis, previous hysterectomy and family history of early death due to obesity related illnesses. I also had a band in place at the time.

I was pushed around between general surgery and bariatric before, after almost two years, they decided what they needed to do!

I was about 43 I think and had multiple comorbidities including stuff that had been caused by my being life threateningly ill.

Back