• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

body image

julieann

Well , i am finally getting into sizes that i only dreamed about, but why do i still see myself as bigger than i probably am. Does anyone else find this when trying clothes on and if so how do we rid ourselves of this big body image. I would be really interested in some of your views on this pls. julie

I had this when I lost 7st before. I got into a size 16 (from a 28) and still felt I should be in baggy clothes and kept looking at sizes larger.

I think our mind takes longer to catch up with our bodies. It is hard to unlearn our previous beliefs. We were fat, we looked fat, we were told we were fat, the mainstream shops did not stock clothes for fat people, ergo we are fat.

We need to unlearn the inherent habit and thoughts of fatness and learn to see the real us.

I found that standing in front of a mirror and/or feeling my curves over my clothes helped remind me that I was no longer big Angela. I was smaller Angela.

Last edited:
I agree with the above post, it takes time to get head and body to work together...I was very lucky it did not take much time at all but today I feel like a biffa because its time of the month coming up and I feel bloated....sometimes being a woman sucks....but I suppose its better than being a bloke...lol...xx

iv never lost enough[yet] to have this but my best friend went from a size 24 to a size 12 but will only wear size 14/16 cloths because she is conviced it looks awful if it fits properly she has never managed to alter her image of herseolf mentally so your not alone xx

I agree with everyone else that it takes time to adjust the image you have of yourself at your largest to the new skinny you. One thing that I do is compare my largest set of knickers to my current ones. I look at how much smaller the waist is & how much smaller the leg holes are. It brings it home to me more than looking in a mirror. You just can't refute the several inches of material difference, I am not the same person that wore those big knickers and sometimes felt they were too tight.

Nic;)

Wow serenity, love the new hairdo what a difference it makes, if i hadnt seen your name i wouldnt have recognised you.julie

Wow serenity, love the new hairdo what a difference it makes, if i hadnt seen your name i wouldnt have recognised you.julie

Gosh I never registered the name till I read this post, yes serenity your new hair do is great you look a million dollars chick...xx

Totally agree with everyone on this. I lost 13 stone once and still felt as big as I was when I started! People used to say 'why do you wear clothes that are way too big for you' but it was because I still felt big.
When my mind finally caught up with my weighloss and my confidence grew, unfortunately it was too late because I'd put all my weigh back on plus more, so then I felt like I was a lot slimmer than I realistically was! (sods law!)
From personal experience, all I can say that is your mind will eventually catch up with your body, Just hang in there and give it time x

I always think I am thinner than I am so cant wait for my body to catch up with my head.
I remember losing about 4 stone a few years ago and carried on wearing big clothes and one day at work took my top off and underneath had a sleeveless dress on and everyone was like omg you are thin (I wasnt I was still around 12 - 13 stone !!)
I cant wait to wear clothes that you can buy from primarny and new look and peacocks lol xxx and sexy knickers at £5 for 3 pairs instead of £5 for 1 pair
Helen
xx

well im having a thin day today i am wearing leggings for the first time with a long jumper, but i bet the feeling thin doesnt last lol. julie

I know what you mean! I went in a shop the other day & picked a top up. I thought "Oh, that's tiny!" (well, I thought so!!) So I got one that looked 'normal' (a couple of sizes larger!) & happily trundled home - it was still a smaller size than usual!

Anyway, had to take it back & got the "tiny" one!!

Also, I am an Addicted Ebayer & was getting clothes that were far too big - & blaming the sellers for incorrect information! Turned out, I was getting stuff with measurements 6 inches too big after hubby measured me & found I have lost 9 inches all round!! (Sorry, sellers!!)

Back