• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Bruised and battered but home and sleeved

Sorry you had such a bad experience . It makes me realise I am privileged to work on a ward with a good reputation .
Hope you are feeling happier now you are at home xx

morning Sharon, hope you got some decent sleep in the end. How you feeling this morning? xxx

Hope you're feeling a bit brighter today! I was gonna text but didn't want to wake you xx

Thanks, both.

Yep, am feeling a *tiny* bit better. I woke at about 8.30 am and pottered about sorting out my pain meds and "breakfast" (shake) before opening up the lappy once again !!!

Well currently I have zero tv channels as I just lost them all on the digital switchover on 18 April so the internet will be my main leisure activity for a while!

ALSO -- my friend Bev who was going to pick me up from the Whittington and bring me home (if I had been discharged on the Thursday) is now going to pop over sometime today and give me a bit of a hand .... I have lots of tasks for her (eeek!) including:

-- helping me reprogram my tv (I have bought a freesat cable but not got round to installing it as I knew switchover day was 18 April one day after my op)

-- possibly getting one load of washing in the machine

-- getting 2 bin bags out to the area 700 yards away behind my flat

-- buying a sieve to sieve out all the bits in soup

Ummmm, that's about it ..... oh and i have a 'present' for Bev -- about 2 dozen apples that I cannot eat which I had not finished while on the pre-op diet !!!! :8855: :8855:

I hope she likes apples !!!

Thanks, both.

Yep, am feeling a *tiny* bit better. I woke at about 8.30 am and pottered about sorting out my pain meds and "breakfast" (shake) before opening up the lappy once again !!!

Well currently I have zero tv channels as I just lost them all on the digital switchover on 18 April so the internet will be my main leisure activity for a while!

ALSO -- my friend Bev who was going to pick me up from the Whittington and bring me home (if I had been discharged on the Thursday) is now going to pop over sometime today and give me a bit of a hand .... I have lots of tasks for her (eeek!) including:

-- helping me reprogram my tv (I have bought a freesat cable but not got round to installing it as I knew switchover day was 18 April one day after my op)

-- possibly getting one load of washing in the machine

-- getting 2 bin bags out to the area 700 yards away behind my flat

-- buying a sieve to sieve out all the bits in soup

Ummmm, that's about it ..... oh and i have a 'present' for Bev -- about 2 dozen apples that I cannot eat which I had not finished while on the pre-op diet !!!! :8855: :8855:

I hope she likes apples !!!
lol bless Bev. Glad you're feeling a bit better this morning, and hope you get your tv sorted, at least then you can watch something. I'm sure you'll feel better each day, good luck :) xxx

I would write to Pals and drop a line to Mr Sufi asking him if he is aware the patients he takes great care with are treated in such a fashion!Were they night staff?I found night staff in nhs hospitals do more eating and gossiping than work.When I had general surgery it was appalling,all night you could hear laughing and stuff about holidays and hours or what they had seen on tv.FFS I want sleep!
I must say at the Spire where I has wls it was fabulous treatment and day staff at nhs hospital were fab too.Its like night falls and they think they can get away with lax nursing!I know there are dedicated nursing staff and before anyone posts I salute them unreservedly.Its the crap ones that spoil it for everyone else.Please be considerate of your patients they need a good nights sleep!
Hope you are taking things easy,drink lots and sleep every time you feel weary.Maz x

Your story has really appalled me!

I feel really privileged and relieved that Guys and St Thomas outsourced my surgery to the Princess Grace Hospital.

I hope that they managed to give you a leak test on your sleeve before you left the hospital!

I wish you well for the future and hope that you will get as little pain as I have had.

I won't take offence , but I did nights for 8 yrs & worked just as hard at night as I do during the day . It is not always possible to be quiet if you have poorly or confused patients

I hope that they managed to give you a leak test on your sleeve before you left the hospital!

Yes they do this while you are still anaesthetised at the Whittington .... they pour the blue dye down your throat and then watch it on their laproscopic cameras descend all the way thru your tract.

You wake up with blue dye all round your mouth, in your hair (looks like I have punky streaks) and peeing blue wee for a day !!!

Sounds better than having the test awake!

Being placed, standing in a machine that went up and down about 2mm from my body!

Drinking the horrid vaguely orange flavoured liquid that gave me a severe case of dumping syndrome after!

I would write to Pals and drop a line to Mr Sufi asking him if he is aware the patients he takes great care with are treated in such a fashion!Were they night staff?

No they were the DAY staff (3pm - 8pm) which is what is so shocking.

It was the Night staff (in fact a night auxiliary nurse -- not even a fully qualified nurse) who came and rescued me and sorted everything out.

Not sure about writing an official letter yet -- not sure I have the strength. I have no printer at home and doing anything like that involves going out and spending time at an internet cafe.

If I was at work I usually print things out sneakily at work ..... so perhaps in 2 or 3 weeks when back at work I might consider it.

The Ward sister does have a brief memo pad list of my complaints in unofficial handwritten form.

I totally understand where you're coming from hun. I was on the bariatric ward at Rake Lane Hospital and only 1 nurse really knew what she was doing and she was my absolute saviour. I'm allergic to opiates and had a massive red band on my arm stating this yet every nurse who came into my room pumped me full of morphine & it's derivatives and had the cheek to look surprised when I had a massive allergic reaction (AGAIN).
Luckily I was only in for 1 night or I would have snapped.
I didn't bother complaining I just got a thank you card and chocolates for the kind nurse who saved me!
I hope you're feeling a bit better now. Onwards and downwards!!
xx

Oh Sharon, I'm so sorry you had such a rough time in hospital. I found the nursing to be quite inconsistent with the day staff but not quite as bad as you experienced. The night staff where loads better. I spent my first night in HDU and they were awesome. I very much felt like I'd been abandoned to fend for myself when they brought me up to the ward. Fortunately there was another bypass patient there who looked out for me.

I hope you start to feel loads better real soon. Ax

Why not email it to them?

Might do.

But am also thinking I should not continue to dwell on that too much (what was a temporary bad experience for just 5 hours of my life) and get on with enjoying my slinky sleeve and my new life from now on. :)

I am glad you are home safe and have had your op - however I feel really sad at your experience, I have to say not too different to the nurses that looked after me. As a Nurse it really sadden and embarrasses me that these so called trained nurses, just spend the shift flicking through papers or using electronic machines to check vital signs and never think to say "how do you feel!" "are you ok?!" "are you comfortable?" "do you need anything" etc etc - it seems that all those questions are no longer needed as there is a tick box somewhere they will tick rather than ask the patient?!! You should write a formal complaint - things will never change unless patients point out there experiences. Hope you recover quickly xxxxx

Hi Sharon, really hope you're feeling a bit better today and that you managed to get some washing done! x

Good luck Sharon, and don't overdo it x

Back