• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Bypass and asthma?

alison1979

Hi i just want to ask anyone who has had a bypass how they were with there asthma after the surgery, i had an operation october 2010, and as i come round i had an asthma attack form the tube and that was worse then the pain form my surgery because i coughed that much i pulled everything, i ended up on a ventelator and really dont want that to happen again that scars me more really.:sigh:

im very interested in this thread because i have asthma too, quite bad :) xxx

im very interested in this thread because i have asthma too, quite bad :) xxx

hi caren, i have just got over to bad chest infections, have steriods countless times...i hope it doesnt happen again i just couldnt breath and the coughing was pulling everything real bad, i am going to tell them before what happened last time but there is nothing really they can do i wouldnt think xx

hi caren, i have just got over to bad chest infections, have steriods countless times...i hope it doesnt happen again i just couldnt breath and the coughing was pulling everything real bad, i am going to tell them before what happened last time but there is nothing really they can do i wouldnt think xx
if they think its too dangerous they just wont do it, im sure we'll have out lungs tested before the op xxx

yeh i am well now no infection, so should be ok x

You will have several breathing rests along the way but you need to make them aware of your asthmatic status. It was one of the questions I was asked quite early on. I am sure the anaesthetist will be able to adjust the meds to control it though, as long as he knows about it,girls :) xx

i told the nurses that my asthma was quite bad, as i was getting wheeled down for surgery they told me to take my inhaler, if you are like me you will always have it to hand so make sure you dont forget to take it to hospital with you. :)

i told the nurses that my asthma was quite bad, as i was getting wheeled down for surgery they told me to take my inhaler, if you are like me you will always have it to hand so make sure you dont forget to take it to hospital with you. :)

i will do hun thanks i always have it with me yeh x

I had bad asthma and it was in fact the respiratory consultant who helped me to get my op. I was told to take my inhaler just before I went into theatre.

I can honestly say that I had no problems at all either through the op or after it.

In fact now (7 months post op) my asthma is heaps better and more like it was a few years ago - I only take Ventolin now when I need it which is very rare. Before I was on strong inhalers and tablets just to get me through the day with lots of visits to local hospital for nebulizers.

Your team will be totally aware of your health and your asthma and will look after you - just make sure you mention it when you get booked in.

My asthma is really well controlled... only ever need my inhaler when I have a cold. I had to have a lung function for my pre op. When I came round from the anaesthetic, I had oxygen going, but I also needed nebulisers post op as they thought I might have had bronchospasms..... feel great now though ;)

My asthma is really well controlled... only ever need my inhaler when I have a cold. I had to have a lung function for my pre op. When I came round from the anaesthetic, I had oxygen going, but I also needed nebulisers post op as they thought I might have had bronchospasms..... feel great now though ;)

did u come round coughing? is that what bronchospasams is? they just said it was the cube thats caused it x

He just said I could be having them and not know about it - think it is just tightening of the airways. I was coughing a little and bringing some awful phlegm up (sorry!) after surgery x x x

If you have asthma and regular inhalers we will normally send you for pulmonary function at pre op. What will definitely help is stop smoking (if you do) at least a few weeks before op, use inhalers regularly even ventolin which helps open airway, get flu jab a few weeks before and do deep breathing both in and out (deep fast breath out to clear airways) and exercises.
Make sure you let pre op nurse know if you have had any problems with previous anaesthesia and when/where it was as we will try to get anaesthetic charts for your admission.

Back