• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Pre Op Gastric Bypass HELP & ADVICE needed

nessaantonella

Hello everyone, I am so happy to have found this site.

Im 36 and have been a Brittle Asthmatic all of my life, I have Brittle Asthma Type II, I have spent my life in & out of hospitals, ICU, HDU and so on, my chest has detiriated so much so that I now have COPD too, it is hard especially as I have NEVER been a smoker.
In Sept 2005 I had an Asthma Attack so severe that I had 2 cardiac arrests and ended up having to be ventolated on a Life Support machine for 9 days, and as I live 31 miles away (along country lanes) from the nearest A&E I now have to be airlifted to get to the hospital as it takes too long by road. Since the 2005 attack after loosing my mobility I have put on nearly 9 stone, I live on 40mls of prednisolone a day ammongst the MAXUMIM treatment that is possible for my asthma, and still I am suffering....
My weight has always fluctuated all of my adult life due to the severity of my asthma, sometimes I was not able to even walk let alone do any kinda exersize, even with my condidtion I kept up my passion of horses, but since my 05 attack how I am living now is terrible, I do not even regognise myself.

My GP and my Respiritory consultant BOTH said I should have barriatric surgery to help me loose weight as now the weight I am is killing me and making my already brittle asthma worse.
I have my pre-op consultation on wed 26th, this is my attempt at getting my life back.
I have a 16 year old son who I want to see grow up, I have a partner who loves me so much and a wonderfull family, the least I can do be the best I can be and try to regain controll of my life.

I am looking for help and support, I am so scared, but I am putting a brave face on for my family who are worried about the impending surgery. I am worried that my respiritory system might fail again when I am on the operation table, or that I might wake up during the op (I woke up whilst on life support once, I was paralised and it felt like I was suffocarting and choking, it was terrible, when the anithetist put me under to go be ventolated that had too guess what my weight was as we were in an emergency situation and I was to poorley to breath on my own, this was why the anesthetic was wearing off but the paralysis drug was still in effect) since that experience I now am diagnosed as having a Post Traumatic Stress Disorder which causes panic attacks and them alone seem too trigger my asthma to.
I am sooooooo sorry to inflict you all with my tales of woe, I must sound like a rite missfit.
I do not know anyone who has had this op, all that I can do is trawl the internet to find my support, and this is where I found YOU!!

Thanks for listening (well reading)

Lv Nessa XXXXX

Hi Nessa

I can't offer you any advice on the gastric bypass front but just wanted to say big HUGS, sounds like you have really been in the wars. I am sure someone who has experience of this surgery will be along soon with some wise words.

Good luck with your journey hun.

Georgie
xx

Hi Nessa

I can't offer you any advice on the gastric bypass front but just wanted to say big HUGS, sounds like you have really been in the wars. I am sure someone who has experience of this surgery will be along soon with some wise words.

Good luck with your journey hun.

Georgie
xx
Thank You so much for you reply.
You look great by the way, well done you!
Nessa xxx

I just want to say how very sorry i am to hear what a rotten time you have had and continue to have. I have had severe asthma in the past and spent several years on high doses of prednisolone - yes it's a life saver but god the side effects are awful. Not least the weight gain.

I don't know anything about the surgery side of weight loss but what i do know is you have come to the right place for support, encouragement and hugs.

I'm sending you a bunch right now!

Love

I just want to say how very sorry i am to hear what a rotten time you have had and continue to have. I have had severe asthma in the past and spent several years on high doses of prednisolone - yes it's a life saver but god the side effects are awful. Not least the weight gain.

I don't know anything about the surgery side of weight loss but what i do know is you have come to the right place for support, encouragement and hugs.

I'm sending you a bunch right now!

Love

Thank you sooo much Barb for your encouragement and hugs

Asthma is a curse and a killer... There are over 14'000. deaths every year in the UK alone and it is NOT publicised enough.
I know that my surgery will not cure my asthma, but it will deffo help me live with its symptoms and it will lessen tha chances of havin an attack due brought on by physical exertion of any kind, and also it will take more pressure of my respiritory system and highten my chances of survival when in an attack, I my attacks have been near-fatal so many times, so much so that I have to carry an SOS and adreneline around with me at ALL TIMES.

Thanks for the support huni.

Nessa xxx

Hello everyone, I am so happy to have found this site.

Im 36 and have been a Brittle Asthmatic all of my life, I have Brittle Asthma Type II, I have spent my life in & out of hospitals, ICU, HDU and so on, my chest has detiriated so much so that I now have COPD too, it is hard especially as I have NEVER been a smoker.
In Sept 2005 I had an Asthma Attack so severe that I had 2 cardiac arrests and ended up having to be ventolated on a Life Support machine for 9 days, and as I live 31 miles away (along country lanes) from the nearest A&E I now have to be airlifted to get to the hospital as it takes too long by road. Since the 2005 attack after loosing my mobility I have put on nearly 9 stone, I live on 40mls of prednisolone a day ammongst the MAXUMIM treatment that is possible for my asthma, and still I am suffering....
My weight has always fluctuated all of my adult life due to the severity of my asthma, sometimes I was not able to even walk let alone do any kinda exersize, even with my condidtion I kept up my passion of horses, but since my 05 attack how I am living now is terrible, I do not even regognise myself.

My GP and my Respiritory consultant BOTH said I should have barriatric surgery to help me loose weight as now the weight I am is killing me and making my already brittle asthma worse.
I have my pre-op consultation on wed 26th, this is my attempt at getting my life back.
I have a 16 year old son who I want to see grow up, I have a partner who loves me so much and a wonderfull family, the least I can do be the best I can be and try to regain controll of my life.

I am looking for help and support, I am so scared, but I am putting a brave face on for my family who are worried about the impending surgery. I am worried that my respiritory system might fail again when I am on the operation table, or that I might wake up during the op (I woke up whilst on life support once, I was paralised and it felt like I was suffocarting and choking, it was terrible, when the anithetist put me under to go be ventolated that had too guess what my weight was as we were in an emergency situation and I was to poorley to breath on my own, this was why the anesthetic was wearing off but the paralysis drug was still in effect) since that experience I now am diagnosed as having a Post Traumatic Stress Disorder which causes panic attacks and them alone seem too trigger my asthma to.
I am sooooooo sorry to inflict you all with my tales of woe, I must sound like a rite missfit.
I do not know anyone who has had this op, all that I can do is trawl the internet to find my support, and this is where I found YOU!!

Thanks for listening (well reading)

Lv Nessa XXXXX

Hi Nessa and welcome aboard. Hun sorry to hear u have had such a rough time with ur health.
This forum is so supportive and friendly and we have 2 members who have had a gastric bypass and they are Kandy and Bondgirl u can check out their threads and read up on their experiences and am sure they can answer any questions u may have.
Also there is a website specifically for peeps have weight loss surgery and there is so much info on there, here is the link.

WLS information and Support - Home

Good luck for the 26th and looking forward to hearing how ur app went.
Take care and chat soon, luv Roch x

Hi Nessa and welcome aboard. Hun sorry to hear u have had such a rough time with ur health.
This forum is so supportive and friendly and we have 2 members who have had a gastric bypass and they are Kandy and Bondgirl u can check out their threads and read up on their experiences and am sure they can answer any questions u may have.
Also there is a website specifically for peeps have weight loss surgery and there is so much info on there, here is the link.

WLS information and Support - Home

Good luck for the 26th and looking forward to hearing how ur app went.
Take care and chat soon, luv Roch x

Thanks Roch

I will keep you up to date on how it is going, I hope the nerves will subside by the time I have the surgery.
I have read bondgirls diary and think she is amazing, she has gor asthma too, it will be great to speak to someone that has that worry too. I will look up Kandy now.

Thansks for the support huni, much appreciated indeed.

Nessa xxx

Wishing you luck for your pre-op appointment :vibes:

hi nessa big massive hugs and kisses to u, well i had a bypass last may i was 25st now 17st 11lbs so it is working, good luck on your journey and if theres anything i can do or help you with feel free to ask ok, i have msn so if you do my msn address is [email protected] good luck with your surgery hun and just go with the flow so to speak let me know how you get on and if i can be of any help just mail or msn me ok lv georgina xxxxxx

hi nessa big massive hugs and kisses to u, well i had a bypass last may i was 25st now 17st 11lbs so it is working, good luck on your journey and if theres anything i can do or help you with feel free to ask ok, i have msn so if you do my msn address is [email protected] good luck with your surgery hun and just go with the flow so to speak let me know how you get on and if i can be of any help just mail or msn me ok lv georgina xxxxxx

Hiya Georgina

Thanks for that, I will download MSN in to my PC and add you, if I have problems (as this pc is temprimental) I will email you.

Thankyou so much

Nessa xxx

Hi Nessa:D

I've not been online for a few days and just came across your thread and actually filled up as I read it. Your story is so similar to how my life was over a year ago:eek:

As you know I had my Gastric Bypass in March 2007 and up to date have lost over 8 stone:eek: I wanted to let you know that I have gone from having to use a nebuliser 3 times a day pre op to only having used it half a dozen times post op:eek: I feel like a new woman and like I've been given a new lease of life, and I really wish the same for you;)

Having the Gastric Bypass isn't the easy option, its a very brave choice to some and to others ie you and I it isn't so much a choice but somethinbg we need to do in order to see our children grow up and have families of their own.

If you have any queries please do not hesitate to pm me, I know what you are going through at the moment is very frightning but rest assured you will be monitored very carefully in surgery(I had a team of 12 I think and because of my asthma a consultant anethaetist(sp) was also present);)

This site is a real god send and you will find a lot of support here, please take advantage of it.

Good luck, my thoughts are with you:)

I've not been online for a few days and just came across your thread and actually filled up as I read it. Your story is so similar to how my life was over a year ago:eek:

As you know I had my Gastric Bypass in March 2007 and up to date have lost over 8 stone:eek: I wanted to let you know that I have gone from having to use a nebuliser 3 times a day pre op to only having used it half a dozen times post op:eek: I feel like a new woman and like I've been given a new lease of life, and I really wish the same for you;)

Having the Gastric Bypass isn't the easy option, its a very brave choice to some and to others ie you and I it isn't so much a choice but somethinbg we need to do in order to see our children grow up and have families of their own.

If you have any queries please do not hesitate to pm me, I know what you are going through at the moment is very frightning but rest assured you will be monitored very carefully in surgery(I had a team of 12 I think and because of my asthma a consultant anethaetist(sp) was also present);)

This site is a real god send and you will find a lot of support here, please take advantage of it.

Good luck, my thoughts are with you:)

Hiya Zoe

Thank you soooooooo much for getting back to me, I was hoping that you would reply.
Your story had given me faith and made me feel happy, and I have to say that you look amazing!!!
I am classed as disabled because of my asthma as I am practically immobile now;
Do you think that because I am not very mobile it will slow my weighltoss down?
Or do you think that my mobility will become better and I will be able to become more mobile?

My hat goes off to you as I feel your spirt is sooo strong Zoe, and I can only hope to follow your lead with my journey.

Did your surgeon give you your odds before the surgery? I know that they will be worse than someone of the same weight without cronic/brittle asthma. I am about 20 stone, and only 5ft3" and I look like a weeblewobble.

OMG there is soooooo much that I would like to ask you, but it would take all the bloody web-space up on the site.. LOL

You truly are an inspiration Zoe.

Nessa xxx

Ps, there is also another simularity with us... I am setting up my own business too, I was asked to take medical retirement last year as it was getting impossible for me to do my job, so I finished my job as a recruitment consultant and I am in the middle of setting my own business up, I have always had horses even with my illness and I have been a capable horsewoman, but since my 2005 attack I have not been able to ride and my family have stepped up to the mark in taking care of my 4 wonderfull horses... But I am in training to become a Horse Whisperer, and I am opening my own livery yard and I am making a place that is safe and I support a total NON VIOLENCE approach to horse training..... there is a lot more to it but if you like hava look on my web-site

www.cherokeecoastalequestrian.co.uk | Please just "stop" for a moment and listen to the horses!

and you my dear have made it possible for me to know that I will be ok and that I will live to make this business a success and I will be able to ride again......

Let me know what you think.

XXXX

Hiya Zoe

Thank you soooooooo much for getting back to me, I was hoping that you would reply.
Your story had given me faith and made me feel happy, and I have to say that you look amazing!!!
I am classed as disabled because of my asthma as I am practically immobile now;
Do you think that because I am not very mobile it will slow my weighltoss down?
Or do you think that my mobility will become better and I will be able to become more mobile?

My hat goes off to you as I feel your spirt is sooo strong Zoe, and I can only hope to follow your lead with my journey.

Did your surgeon give you your odds before the surgery? I know that they will be worse than someone of the same weight without cronic/brittle asthma. I am about 20 stone, and only 5ft3" and I look like a weeblewobble.

OMG there is soooooo much that I would like to ask you, but it would take all the bloody web-space up on the site.. LOL

You truly are an inspiration Zoe.

Nessa xxx

Ps, there is also another simularity with us... I am setting up my own business too, I was asked to take medical retirement last year as it was getting impossible for me to do my job, so I finished my job as a recruitment consultant and I am in the middle of setting my own business up, I have always had horses even with my illness and I have been a capable horsewoman, but since my 2005 attack I have not been able to ride and my family have stepped up to the mark in taking care of my 4 wonderfull horses... But I am in training to become a Horse Whisperer, and I am opening my own livery yard and I am making a place that is safe and I support a total NON VIOLENCE approach to horse training..... there is a lot more to it but if you like hava look on my web-site

www.cherokeecoastalequestrian.co.uk | Please just "stop" for a moment and listen to the horses!

and you my dear have made it possible for me to know that I will be ok and that I will live to make this business a success and I will be able to ride again......

Let me know what you think.

XXXX

Firstly good luck with your business, I'll have a look at your site and get back to you;)

I too am registered disabled due to my asthma, your mobility will improve dramatically:D I was given less than 30% survival rate for op but I was discharged 2 days after surgery(my surgeons quickest discharge yet and he is so happy with my progress) you will be ok;)

Ask away I'll try answer

Firstly good luck with your business, I'll have a look at your site and get back to you;)

I too am registered disabled due to my asthma, your mobility will improve dramatically:D I was given less than 30% survival rate for op but I was discharged 2 days after surgery(my surgeons quickest discharge yet and he is so happy with my progress) you will be ok;)

Ask away I'll try answer

OMG, 30% ey... were you scared? Did you ever have second thought about the op at that point? You are soooooo brave Zoe.
Nothing will make me not have the op, I can't go on in this body suffering the way that I do, I would rather be dead to be honest, I just have no quality of life as I am sure that you will know and understand totally....

Its a big step to take but I now know it is the right and only step to take.

Nessa xxxx

hi nessa, you talk about other ppl having strong spirits but i think all u need to do is look in a mirror to see an extra strong spirit!!! you really impress me.
i just feel from you that all this adversity has made you stronger and you still radiate humour and positivity. it takes real strength to do something despite being really scared of it. you will be fine and not only will u see ur son grow up but your grandchildren too! positive thought really does change the universe!
something that helped with my positivity was a dvd called the secret.... you can watch the first 20 mins of it free on you tube just type in the secret.
take care....
Donna xx

hi nessa, you talk about other ppl having strong spirits but i think all u need to do is look in a mirror to see an extra strong spirit!!! you really impress me.
i just feel from you that all this adversity has made you stronger and you still radiate humour and positivity. it takes real strength to do something despite being really scared of it. you will be fine and not only will u see ur son grow up but your grandchildren too! positive thought really does change the universe!
something that helped with my positivity was a dvd called the secret.... you can watch the first 20 mins of it free on you tube just type in the secret.
take care....
Donna xx
Thanks Donna for that, I will hava look for that on youtube... Your reply has made me smile. THANKYOU!! XX

Back