• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Bypass in 2 weeks - eek!

Bling Babe

Hello Bling Babe and thanks for your reply. I must admit I half suspected it would still be the case about food cravings - after all it’s all in one’s head anyway isn’t it? I’m hoping to find new ways to manage head hunger helped by the surgery. I also wonder if I’m eating like there’s no tomorrow because I know the op’s coming up. I had pizza last night - if I’m honest pretty awful, no flavour and tough as old boots! But of course I scoffed the lot 😂 x
Yep head hunger is the worst, you most probably are eating like there’s no tomorrow due to surgery coming up soon, I had no end of food funerals with the foods I loved but knew I should avoid post surgery, when do you start you LRD, it must be soon? X

Bizarrely and thankfully I’ve been told I’m only fasting prior to the op rather than LRD. They’d done a MRI of my liver and told me that’s all I’ll need to do to prepare, Which I’m amazed by, but happy to go along with!
Okay, next question. I’ve read on some sites about dreadful side effects post-op - wind that can strip wallpaper and giant, stinking poo that won’t flush? Any truth in these ugly rumours?!? x

Bling Babe

Bizarrely and thankfully I’ve been told I’m only fasting prior to the op rather than LRD. They’d done a MRI of my liver and told me that’s all I’ll need to do to prepare, Which I’m amazed by, but happy to go along with!
Okay, next question. I’ve read on some sites about dreadful side effects post-op - wind that can strip wallpaper and giant, stinking poo that won’t flush? Any truth in these ugly rumours?!? x
Wow, no LRD, that’s bizarre, I’ve never heard of that but others may have.....um wind and pooh...in my experience definitely true IF you make unhealthy food choices, although not giant just loose and many times a day....sorry tmi ! X

Thanks again BB that makes sense about eating the wrong stuff. There are so many alarming stories about weight loss surgery - people love a scare don’t they?
How was the pain post-op? X

Bling Babe

Thanks again BB that makes sense about eating the wrong stuff. There are so many alarming stories about weight loss surgery - people love a scare don’t they?
How was the pain post-op? X
Oh don’t they just.....I had a pain patch for a week which worked a treat, I didn’t need anything else xx

Hi again BB and everyone - just heard I’ve got gallstones and am seeing surgeon Monday for “a quick chat”. I suspect he’s going to suggest whipping out my gallbladder at the same time as my bypass.
Not surprised by that news - I can sometimes feel my gallbladder protesting. But not for much longer! x

Sarnie

Hello to Cheshire Cat & Parsnip. Thanks for your kind messages. Unbelievably my dad is slightly better - he’s made of granite! Sadly he can’t go home as he can’t look after himself anymore. A residential care home for him now.
Which means my bypass surgery is in two weeks. Eek all over again!
Apart from numerous questions about the surgery itself my big question today is do you still get food cravings? Today I’ve been eating non stop and I’m sick of it! x
Hope your dad is OK. I definitely still get food cravings, even for things I don't particularly like now, my taste buds have changed since my bypass, I was a complete chocoholic, now eating more than a couple of square leaves a nasty taste in my mouth, but even this doesn't stop my habit head wanting it, I think this is changing slowly, you can't change a lifetime habit over night, the brain is a powerful thing. Good luck with your op, so exciting. X

Sarnie

Hello Bling Babe and thanks for your reply. I must admit I half suspected it would still be the case about food cravings - after all it’s all in one’s head anyway isn’t it? I’m hoping to find new ways to manage head hunger helped by the surgery. I also wonder if I’m eating like there’s no tomorrow because I know the op’s coming up. I had pizza last night - if I’m honest pretty awful, no flavour and tough as old boots! But of course I scoffed the lot 😂 x
Post op, because of lack of space in my new pouch I do tend to eat better quality, healthy foods, because really there is little room for junk food and you have to eat healthy to stay healthy. You can't really pick when making dinner either I've learnt, because you do you won't eat your dinner as there's no space lol. I feel planning it's the best way, well it is for me, because my fat brain still wants everything! And I was still buying everything, then at home thinking what am I going to do with all this, I can physically eat it all, I live alone now too which doesn't help, these are the sort of things that take time to adjust to, I'm getting better at this slowly, I still have to stop myself buying stuff, this is why I make a weekly plan and pretty much stick to it. I do have treats though, life is too short to live without treats, everything in moderation x

Sarnie

Hi again BB and everyone - just heard I’ve got gallstones and am seeing surgeon Monday for “a quick chat”. I suspect he’s going to suggest whipping out my gallbladder at the same time as my bypass.
Not surprised by that news - I can sometimes feel my gallbladder protesting. But not for much longer! x
They generally would do the two together. I had two hernias repaired when they did my bypass. X

Sarnie

Yep wind and fairly often poop that just won't flush, I had to Google that one because I thought I was going to be stuck with that poop forever 💩😂😂 I read it is because of the excess gas that they float and I have plenty of that now and burping after eating. A small price to pay though to be a lot healthier and live longer.

Rachel14?

Hi I’m tach
Hello to everyone on here. I’m new and found out yesterday my bypass will happen in 2 weeks.
I’m excited and - of course - terrified too.
So many questions.
My usually lovely husband is opposed to it even though he knows how utterly miserable I’ve been for the last ten years - it’s ruined every holiday and big occasion we’ve had as I sit crying about being fat and feeling enormous.
He thinks I should just eat less. Wow - what a brilliant idea. Wish I’d thought of that. He’s fortunate in that he can eat anything (8 choc ices in one sitting his record) and is like a stick.
Whatever happens I’m determined - I’m paying for it with my own money and I’ve got complete confidence in Prof Ameet Patel and the hospital.
My two closest friends are brilliant- they recognise what this means to me. I’m not entering into it lightly and I know it’s not the easy way out. After all there are other things I could be spending my ten grand on.
I haven’t told anyone else. I hate deception but I think people will judge me. i plan to tell people I’ve had my gall bladder removed.
Anyone else struggled with what to tell people?
I know it’s an extreme measure. I also know there’s something wrong when a good proportion of people in this world are starving to death and I’m forking out for an operation to stop me eating so much. But we live in a crazy world.
What a journey. . .
el I am having my op too in 2 weeks time, I’m scared apprehensive and excited, my emotions are everywhere, except for a few family members I’m telling people I’m having a hysterectomy lol but it’s Alfie wee feel bad as we are doing this for our health, good luck

Rachel14?

Exciting times ahead. Assuming you're starting your LRD? Which plan are you following?
I'm 6 months post bypass and am lucky enough to have an easy going pouch and haven't had any complications (well not linked to the operation).
I'd highly recommend a book called Living with Bariatric Surgery by Denise Ratcliffe. Also spend some time reading the diaries on here (although most of the ones that get updated more regularly are in the bronze section which requires you to have at least 100 posts so get posting). The site isn't as busy these days but there are still a few people about and usually someone will be able to answer most questions you have. No question is stupid and we're not shy about the things we discuss lol
Good luck with your op, remember to take photos and take measurements xx
Hi I’m tach

el I am having my op too in 2 weeks time, I’m scared apprehensive and excited, my emotions are everywhere, except for a few family members I’m telling people I’m having a hysterectomy lol but it’s Alfie wee feel bad as we are doing this for our health,
By now you must have had your surgery how did it go and are you doing ok x