• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Bypass or band: reasons for opting for one or other

quetiapina

Bumps along somehow
Hi everyone. I'm sure this has been asked before but have not found the answers. Ok, so what made you decide for by-pass over band or vice versa. I've opted for band ( op 22 march) as it seems less invasive ( and less expensive as have been forced to beg, borrow, scrimp, save etc. as Wales won't fund WLS) but have been reading up about by-pass and would love to know the reasons behind your decisions - whether you are post or pre-op.
Love Jenni:)

i opted for the band as i was a "volume" eater, i loved big portions and the band has helped me with that portion control, i was also a savoury eater losts of bread, pizza pastry ect, the band restricts these foods, i knew id have to have will power with sweet foods such as choc, ice cream ect as the band wont stop these foods being eaten in any amount, yes i admit i like choc but i can control the amount i eat, alot of people that have been banded has a sweet tooth and the band doesnt work so well for them as they compensate meals with choc as it goes through with no restriction, personally i think if you have a very sweet tooth a bypass is the better option.

liz x

Last edited:
I opted for the band too.

I was also a volume eater, being labelled a binge eater.

I wanted to control the amount that went in my body and I wanted to lose the weight at a slower pace, to allow my body more time to adjust.

I also did not want the longer recovery period, the physical anatomy change or have to take supplements for the rest of my life.

Now I am getting used to how I can make the band work, I am loving it more and more each day.

hi I opted for the band because its less invasive and hopefully I wont need to be "under" too long with me having other illness's ie epilepsy, brittle asthma and more. I like liz am a savoury food fan rather than a sweet food fan hence my choice as well. xxGaynorxx

I'm a definite volume eater but I do like sweet things as well as savoury. Does this make a difference to the effectiveness of the band. It's not chocolate as such that is the problem - but stodgy puddingy things as part of my general overeating.

Band for me

Hi
My issue is portion control in evening, I also like savoury stuff rather than swet but obviously dont mind bit of choc now and then
Im ok during day and have sensible breakfast and lunch but after 7pm is when it all starts
My eyes are bigger than my belly and once I get a few wines down me - HELLO MUNCHIES

Hopefully the band will keep me in check during this period of the day ?:D:D

I'm getting a band on Tue 10 Mar- Will be setting off for train to Preston this morning then blood tests this afternoon and overnight in hotel and thats it
24hrs or so and i'll be done

Good luck with your choice

Cheers

James

hi i had bypass which was chosen for me by the surgeon, no reason was given, but i was lead to believe that i wouldn't be able to eat sweet things or fatty things.
here comes the confession of a failed bypasser.
on saturday i consummed a full packet of chocolate digestives a full bag of liquorice allsorts and three bags of crisps, as well as my three meals i.e. large bowl of porrige and two toast with lashings of butter for breakfast, a ham lettuce salad cream barm for lunch and chicken in peanut satay in a pitta with chips and lettuce for dinner.
sunday was much the same but braised pork chop with loads of mash carrotts and gravy.
I wish i had had the choice and maybe the band would have worked better for me.
I have not lost any weight in the past 6 months i lost my 5 stones in the first 6 months at least i have not put any on.
So sorry to go on it just came out :)

I'm a definite volume eater but I do like sweet things as well as savoury. Does this make a difference to the effectiveness of the band. It's not chocolate as such that is the problem - but stodgy puddingy things as part of my general overeating.

stodgy puds especially with custard ect is a high calory slider food and will go through most peoples bands, if these are not avoided with a band it will stop you loosing weight and in some cases weight gain can occur, its best to avoid these foods if possible with the band as the band wont restrict this type of food.

Hi
after 7pm is when it all starts
My eyes are bigger than my belly and once I get a few wines down me - HELLO MUNCHIES

Hopefully the band will keep me in check during this period of the day ?:D:D

Cheers

James

james as the day goes by the pouch becomes less tense and more relaxed as its had food and drink passing through it, i have to be carefull in the evenings as thats when i can eat a bigger portion of food, but mornings i can eat less, also beware of the booze yes its liquid and you can drink alcohol as normal but its hidden calories and can hinder weight loss, moderation is the key with the booze and you will be fine.

liz x

I have chosen bypass as I have zero willpower. I need the physical barrier (dumping) to stop me eating fatty and sugary foods.

I was also swung by the stats given to me by my surgeon that bypass patients lose on average 75% of their excess weight, where as for banding it is only 50% of excess weight. I didnt want to risk going through all this too still be obese at the end of it.

Finally, I would rather take a multivit every day for life rather than have to have regular fills.

hi i had bypass which was chosen for me by the surgeon, no reason was given, but i was lead to believe that i wouldn't be able to eat sweet things or fatty things.
on saturday i consummed a full packet of chocolate digestives a full bag of liquorice allsorts and three bags of crisps, as well as my three meals i.e. large bowl of porrige and two toast with lashings of butter for breakfast, a ham lettuce salad cream barm for lunch and chicken in peanut satay in a pitta with chips and lettuce for dinner.
sunday was much the same but braised pork chop with loads of mash carrotts and gravy.
I have not lost any weight in the past 6 months i lost my 5 stones in the first 6 months at least i have not put any on.

So sorry to hear that the bypass hasnt been as successful as you hoped. Can I ask who your surgeon was?

Can I also ask whether you have been able to eat sugary and fatty foods from the outset or have you had to "train yourself" to eat these portions?

Sorry for the stupid questions.

Oh and Congratulations on your intial 5 stones weight loss.

alison dont these foods cause dumping after a bypass ?? and how can you physically eat that amount of food ? as i was lead to believe the bypass pouch is smaller than a banders.

liz

I was told the pouch was a simalar size to a golf ball

Wow Alison thats a lot of food for a bypasser

I also prefered the bypass For the same reason as Sam 0 willpower and no refills

i too was told sugary and fatty things will make you dump i haven't experienced this and as for quantity i was eating solids at 3 weeks with no problems, i am back to eating as i was before the bypass, i have no willpower and was lead to believe this was the way forward for me.
i have lost the same ammount of weight doing lipotrim but as soon as food was reintroduced the weight came back on and more, at least i haven't put any weight on.
my surgeon was prof macmahon at leeds nuffield, my friend was bypassed two months after me and she weighed 28 stone (i weighed 21 stone) and has only lost four stone she actually put a stone back on, but blamed it on her steroids.
i went to see prof at 5 weeks post op after only losing a stone, he said it was because "you weren't that big to start off with".
i was put off with that and as i wasn't sent for any follow ups, i didn't mind because in my head what every i lost or didn't was because i wasn't that big to start off with.
o dear another novel sorry.

Im really interested in your story Alison. Perhaps I havent done enough research, but yours is the first personal account I have heard of someone who feels the bypass has failed them.

I hope you dont think Im being rude by saying this - but surely, if you didnt eat the way you did, you would continue to lose weight.

I know its about willpower and I struggle with that like you do, but you have been given a chance to get the weight off and I cant understand why you are eating a full packet of biscuits.

Please please dont take offence to that Alison. Everyone here knows that I am nothing but supportive, and I would hate to think that I am upsetting you by asking these questions. Im only asking as Im sure everyone else is thinking exactly the same.

Im really interested in your story Alison. Perhaps I havent done enough research, but yours is the first personal account I have heard of someone who feels the bypass has failed them.

I hope you dont think Im being rude by saying this - but surely, if you didnt eat the way you did, you would continue to lose weight.

I know its about willpower and I struggle with that like you do, but you have been given a chance to get the weight off and I cant understand why you are eating a full packet of biscuits.

Please please dont take offence to that Alison. Everyone here knows that I am nothing but supportive, and I would hate to think that I am upsetting you by asking these questions. Im only asking as Im sure everyone else is thinking exactly the same.

i think with both ops they are similar as in the pouch allows less food in, but also with both the pouch can be stretched if the rules are abused, i seen this as my last chance to loose weight and change my life, if the rules isnt follwed with both ops they can fail, wls is a last chance salloon for most of us, dont throw that chance away.

im sorry things have not worked out well for you in the last 6months or so...but i cant understand how you could eat such volume of food with the restriction of your bypass??? can you or someone else explain this to me please x

i personally chose bypass as i wanted to get it 'over and done with' so to speak...didnt want to be fiddling about with going back for fills etc. also the weight loss statistics swung me...75% of excess weight in first 6 months or so against 50% of excess weight with the band. i have had a few problems with being sick but do not regret it...and today i got weighed and have broken the 4 stone mark...never to return...woo hoo!!!

Last edited:
Back