• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Bypass or sleeve? Help me decide pls

Twothirdsamidwife

Hi
I have read lots about the bypass and thought I had pretty much set my heart on this, but after reading threads on here and having my MDT at Homerton today I'm thinking a sleeve might be better??

I am 168cm and 148.7kg with a BMI of 53
I am in good health other than joint niggles and bad muscular neck/head aches from bad posture which I take strong meds for.

I am a chocoholic, like savoury and sweet, hate cooking, eat lots of takeaways (due to being a student and mum of 3), I qualify in February so will then have more time to plan and make healthier meals.

Background - always been overweight, rewarded or comforted with food, made to finish everything on plate, brought up by grandparents so typically meat and two veg meals and pudding. Was a size 16/18 until I gave up smoking aged 24 which was easy peasy but meant I piled the weight on and have stayed around the 20st mark ever since.

I don't like healthy foods and would rather eat nothing than a carrot stick, I don't eat much fruit and veg and once kids are in bed me and hubbie crack open the crisps, chocolate and desserts.

I want to take back control of my body and I want to reset my tastebuds, I can live without fizzy drinks, but as I have tried every sweetner under the sun and cannot stand any of them I think I will always have to have my cups of tea with sugar. I think I would like to eat a little sweet stuff which makes me think a sleeve would be better?

The only diet that has ever worked has been any very low calorie (approx 800) one and can do the whole liquid/purée diet.

The dietician said today that the "hungry" hormone is suppressed more with the sleeve and in the booklet it says an avg of 50-60% of excess weight lost with this surgery but says Homerton patients have lost an avg of 70-80% compared with the bypass at an avg of 60-70%

HELP are your eating patterns similar? Which do you think suits my habits? I am determined to make this lifestyle change but want the surgery that is most likely to help me lose the most weight and then maintain
Sorry for the essay
Thanks in advance

hey am glad your appointment went well today and if i was in your shoes i would personally go for the bypass because it seems like the one that would be best suited to your needs and would lose the most weight but thats me lol xx

If you want total honesty, here goes. To be honest, before you decide on surgery of any sort, you really need to look at where you are now. You need to get in the right mindset before embarking on such a drastic step. It's not an easy route and it isn't designed to fit your habits as you seem to think it is at the moment.
It seems to me that by saying that you hate cooking, don't like healthy foods, eat lots of takeaways and want to reset your tastebuds etc,etc that you are looking for an easy way out. For me, you need to put the work in before surgery. All the surgery will do is restrict the volume of food that you put in your body. It is only through cutting out all the rubbish and making healthy foods the habit that you will lose weight even with the surgery.

I'm not sure where your dietician got the info about the "hungry" hormone being suppressed more with the sleeve as I've NEVER heard that before. To be honest from the people that I know personally who opted for surgery before working on their eating habits, have either failed to lose much weight long term and have regained pretty fast

Also, there is no guarantee that surgery will work especially going into it without putting in the work BEFORE and continuing after. It is not an easy option. It is a tool that will help initially simply due to the restriction it offers. But if you're not ready to put the work into what will be a lifelong commitment, it will not work.

I should that I had the bypass and one year out I could literally eat anything. I am not affected by sugar or fat as I have discovered on rare occasion when eating something sugary or cooked in fat (miles from home with no other choice of food). So, not all bypasses get dumping syndrome.

Last edited:
Hi there, big decision you have to make, I have had a sleeve and managed to lose all my excess weight in 10 months (41kg). Having a sleeve has really helped me lose weight and I do not regret having it done, my surgeon also told me that the enzymes that make you feel hungry in you stomach are removed so for the majority of time I do not feel hungry - and usually when I do it's because I have left it too long without eating. From my personal perspective having my sleeve has been brilliant, however my only advice is that it is not a fail safe and that it is possible for you to gain weight with a sleeve. 10 months out I still have to be really careful about making the right food choices and eat healthy foods, for example before having a sleeve I could eat out/ have a take away at least three or four times a week, nowadays I haven't had one for a few months (even though family members have had one, I cook something for myself) partly because I don't feel great if I eat fatty of sugary foods - in all honesty at times this can feel really frustrating. I mean this is my experience of having a sleeve however for someone else it can be totally different, my only advice would be to start changing your diet now before you have surgery, because you need to have those healthy eating/cooking skills before you have surgery as you will have enough going on after the surgery.

Which ever procedure you choose, your going to have to change what you eat. Otherwise there's no point in having any bariatric surgery, if you not going to be prepared to make the dietary changes to help you lose weight.

You have to remember, the surgery is only a tool. You have to commit yourself to changing your lifestyle, or your just going to regain in the long term.

If you like junk food and sugary things, personally I'd go for the bypass. I can guarantee once you've experienced dumping syndrome (by eating fatty/sugary things post op) it'll really make you rethink your eating habits.

Good luck with your choice.

Thank you Jamast for replying. I appreciate your honesty.

I know it will take a lot of resolve and that the surgery can be 'undone'

by resetting my tastebuds and habits I mean getting back to basics - enjoying food for its taste, texture and simplicity. When I've not been on a diet I eat what I like, because I've been doing that for so many years, I don't 'like' most fruit and veg. But when I have done the vlcd's after a long period of shakes n soups something as simple as tomato, mozzarella and basil or a crunchy Braeburn Apple tastes amazing. That's what I want to eat, enjoy and change to.

I do need to look at the psychology surrounding my food issues as they are very deep rooted from childhood and is another thread I will ask advice for.

My reason for asking which procedure would be better for me is there is no point me going ahead no point me having the bypass if I honestly cannot find a sweetener to replace sugar and I end up 'dumping ' every day and end up in a bad place. But if I can keep a little of something I 'need' ie my first cup of tea in the morning with sugar then I think I would be much more likely to do well sticking to liquids/puréed and much smaller portions.

I have lots of strategies for helping me keep to target, plans for each milestone and 50 bloody good reasons why I need/should lose weight.

After talking to the consultant and dietician they have said both procedures are suitable for me and I should go and research, chat and come back with a decision once they've been to the MDT meeting.

HRR32
Thank you for replying - well done on such a massive achievement. The dietician said that some people have to set an alarm to eat regular small meals.

I think I can abide by the strict rules, like not drinking whilst eating and taking your time. I also don't think the liquid and purée diet will faze me as when I have done vlcd diets I've gone 3/4 weeks just having very powdery soups and shakes so having milk, yoghurts and tasty homemade soups will be a breeze.

I plan to start changing my eating habits now in small steps so that when the time comes for my surgery I should a. have lost the 5-10% required and b. be eating small portions (I'm going to buy my self a pretty China side plate - might sound daft but when I bought myself a funky water bottle I do drink more). I'm going to slow down my eating and try to do they 20/20/20 with meals.

I was set on having a band as it was the first thing I heard about when starting on this path but after meeting the team at honerton the bypass for me was the only way im 7 months post bypass and dont for 1 second regret my chouce
you can only pick which wls is right for you , good luck in whatever you decide to go for

Hi I think you can work on your sugar addiction prior to any surgery. It has nothing to do with hunger, like alcohol addiction has nothing go do with thirst, so no hormone will make it go away. If you gave up smoking you can give up sugar :) in stages , reducing what you have and replacing it with healthier choices.
I gave up sugar in my tea when I was in my 20's, I use to take 2 or 3 spoonfuls. A friend advised me to reduce 1 spoon a week and then nothing. Two weeks of tea without sugar I hated it and tried one with a single spoon, it was so sweet it make me feel sick and that was me off sugar in tea :)
As for choice of op, only you can decide that with the help of your surgeon. Good luck with that choice and rememeber you can never do too much reseach.
Read the diaries of those people that are more than 6 month, a year or more out, not just the ones of people in the honeymoon six months period of rapid weight loss. See what their struggles are and think about how you would cope.
Non of it is easy hun. And no WLS option will let any of us eat like we did previously but that does not mean we will keep the weight off and not regain. Personal experience speaking there.
Take care x

Thanks weegle - I have tried to reduce the amount of sugar in my tea a few times, I can drink coffee without and happy to give up full fat coke it's just anything with sweetener like nas juice or yoghurts tastes chemically and lingers.

I know this isn't a fail safe solution but just hoping to consider all options and go for the surgery which will give me the best chance of succeeding.

Thanks weegle - I have tried to reduce the amount of sugar in my tea a few times, I can drink coffee without and happy to give up full fat coke it's just anything with sweetener like nas juice or yoghurts tastes chemically and lingers. I know this isn't a fail safe solution but just hoping to consider all options and go for the surgery which will give me the best chance of succeeding.
Hello your taste buds really change after surgery so what you like now will not necessarily you will like after. Also regarding sleeve versus bypass my surgeon said if anything is to go wrong it's more easily fixed with a bypass as the sleeve they remove majority of your stomach and it's gone for Good where's the bypass nothing is being removed completely

I originally wanted gastric band then changed to sleeve when I got my head round this being a life time change and not something I could have removed when I lost weight (I know it's not that simple but looked on that 'choice' as me being in charge).
Then it was the sleeve over the bypass as I have absorption problems with iron and other vitamin and felt that because there is no re-routing that would be the best for me. I also think there is a wider range of foods once you get over the initial 3 stages, but as always very small portions. However, I know people with bypass who a year in are eating from a wide range of foods.
Are you having counselling as part of your build up to surgery? Maybe best to take a bit longer working on that to decide which is best route for you.
Whatever you decide I hope it all goes well and you get to where you want to be.

Thank you - I thought I was decided on a bypass but being given the option I need to read up as much as I can and look at the stats.

I am looking into some form of therapy whether that be hypnosis or counselling we'll see.

Have ordered my pretty side plate, bowl and cup so will be starting portion control once it arrives

Have got a couple of books about binge eating that I'm working my way through, I've also downloaded some hypnosis/mindfulness apps to listen to each day. I've emailed a couple of CBT therapists in my area but not heard anything back yet!!

It's been 3 weeks since my appt at the Homerton, not heard anything back about blood tests or owt so will be patient and hope to hear from them soon - fingers x'd!!

I had a phone call from laura at the Homerton today saying my case was discussed at the mdt meeting on Wednesday and bar a few questions had been recommended for surgery. They want me to get my cpap sorted and use it regularly before surgery (have an appt on Tuesday to sort the mask out as it makes me claustrophobic), she asked if I had made any efforts to change my habits - I've bought a pretty side plate that I'm using for portion control, I'm upping my fluid and have made an appointment with a cbt therapist which Laura was really pleased with.

She asked me to weigh myself and email her - which I did on the wii fit and I'm down 3.7kg which I'm chuffed with. I need to email her after Tuesday's appt and then fingers crossed I should get a surgery date soon!!

I'm also trying to cut out sugar from my diet and using xylitol in my hot drinks - bit different but not as chemical tasting as other sweetners!!!

Last edited:
I had a phone call from laura at the Homerton today saying my case was discussed at the mdt meeting on Wednesday and bar a few questions had been recommended for surgery. They want me to get my cpap sorted and use it regularly before surgery (have an appt on Tuesday to sort the mask out as it makes me claustrophobic), she asked if I had made any efforts to change my habits - I've bought a pretty side plate that I'm using for portion control, I'm upping my fluid and have made an appointment with a cbt therapist which Laura was really pleased with. She asked me to weigh myself and email her - which I did on the wii fit and I'm down 3.7kg which I'm chuffed with. I need to email her after Tuesday's appt and then fingers crossed I should get a surgery date soon!! I'm also trying to cut out sugar from my diet and using xylitol in my hot drinks - bit different but not as chemical tasting as other sweetners!!!

That is all sounding very positive, well done on the weight loss and all the healthy changes. :)

I had a phone call from laura at the Homerton today saying my case was discussed at the mdt meeting on Wednesday and bar a few questions had been recommended for surgery. They want me to get my cpap sorted and use it regularly before surgery (have an appt on Tuesday to sort the mask out as it makes me claustrophobic), she asked if I had made any efforts to change my habits - I've bought a pretty side plate that I'm using for portion control, I'm upping my fluid and have made an appointment with a cbt therapist which Laura was really pleased with. She asked me to weigh myself and email her - which I did on the wii fit and I'm down 3.7kg which I'm chuffed with. I need to email her after Tuesday's appt and then fingers crossed I should get a surgery date soon!! I'm also trying to cut out sugar from my diet and using xylitol in my hot drinks - bit different but not as chemical tasting as other sweetners!!!

Well done you are doing really well, and it's great news about the surgery!

Hi
I have read lots about the bypass and thought I had pretty much set my heart on this, but after reading threads on here and having my MDT at Homerton today I'm thinking a sleeve might be better??

I am 168cm and 148.7kg with a BMI of 53
I am in good health other than joint niggles and bad muscular neck/head aches from bad posture which I take strong meds for.

I am a chocoholic, like savoury and sweet, hate cooking, eat lots of takeaways (due to being a student and mum of 3), I qualify in February so will then have more time to plan and make healthier meals.

Background - always been overweight, rewarded or comforted with food, made to finish everything on plate, brought up by grandparents so typically meat and two veg meals and pudding. Was a size 16/18 until I gave up smoking aged 24 which was easy peasy but meant I piled the weight on and have stayed around the 20st mark ever since.

I don't like healthy foods and would rather eat nothing than a carrot stick, I don't eat much fruit and veg and once kids are in bed me and hubbie crack open the crisps, chocolate and desserts.

I want to take back control of my body and I want to reset my tastebuds, I can live without fizzy drinks, but as I have tried every sweetner under the sun and cannot stand any of them I think I will always have to have my cups of tea with sugar. I think I would like to eat a little sweet stuff which makes me think a sleeve would be better?

The only diet that has ever worked has been any very low calorie (approx 800) one and can do the whole liquid/purée diet.

The dietician said today that the "hungry" hormone is suppressed more with the sleeve and in the booklet it says an avg of 50-60% of excess weight lost with this surgery but says Homerton patients have lost an avg of 70-80% compared with the bypass at an avg of 60-70%

HELP are your eating patterns similar? Which do you think suits my habits? I am determined to make this lifestyle change but want the surgery that is most likely to help me lose the most weight and then maintain
Sorry for the essay
Thanks in advance

Hiya, just wondered have you decided what operation you are going to have?
I was like you undecided but the I opted for sleeve which I had on 2/6/15 and I'm glad so far was a bit harsh @ first but I'm slowly getting there.
Good luck which ever procedure you decide on. You are doing well already keep up the good work.
It will be worth it..
Xx

Speaking to laura the dietician about this and she said with me having cpap the surgeons prefer to do the bypass, because the cpap can push air into your stomach, which I imagine can stretch the stomach??

I've booked an appointment with a cbt therapist for Tuesday morning - anyone been down this route? No idea what to expect!!

I'm also looking at getting a blender for when on the soups/liquids and purée diet - do people add seeds? Anyone with experience of a Fitbit?? Does it encourage you to do more exercise??

Speaking to laura the dietician about this and she said with me having cpap the surgeons prefer to do the bypass, because the cpap can push air into your stomach, which I imagine can stretch the stomach??

I've booked an appointment with a cbt therapist for Tuesday morning - anyone been down this route? No idea what to expect!!

I'm also looking at getting a blender for when on the soups/liquids and purée diet - do people add seeds? Anyone with experience of a Fitbit?? Does it encourage you to do more exercise??

Hi, the dietician you have sounds very helpful I think I would be guided by her, won't want to stretch you lovely new stomach after you went threw all this to get it just because of the Cpap, which you obviously need.
Hope you work out the best for you and you won't have to wait to long.
Xx

Back