• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Calling all experienced Sleevers

Hi everyone,

I'm six weeks in on my Sleeve and have started soft foods this week and have one more week of soft foods before normal foods.

During this last week, I've not enjoyed my meals as I've been getting air bubbles when I start eating. I'm leaving enough time between drinking and eating and chewing my food for about 20 times yet, I get air bubbles when I start eating and it's uncomfortable, as well as when I finish eating. Even when I haven't eaten until I'm full, I still feel sick after meals sometimes. Luckily it's just the feeling rather than actually being sick. As sometimes I'm eating less than feeling full to be on the safe side, I'm feeling hungrier quickly. I'm having a Danio yoghurt or protein shake for my snack or some Dairylea triangles.

I'm not enjoying eating due to discomfort and I've been constipated. Also feels like my stomach is swollen and doesn't feel like may lose any weight. My foods are such as mashed potato, mashed up mackerel, cottage cheese, fish fingers and Quorn cottage pie.

I'm stuck on whether I'm getting portion sizes wrong, or whether it will remain this uncomfortable for such a long time and also worried if my weight loss will stop on a regular basis now. Out of all the stages so far, this is the one I'm most uncertain about.

Has anyone had the same problems or stopped losing weight for a while? Does the constipation stop? What is supposed to happen now? (Yes, I have so many questions)!!!

Any assistance, insights, tips etc etc will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance and Have a lovely weekend everyone! X

I'm 8 months out and know what you mean. For me the denser the food the more uncomfortable it is. I have two forks of salmon fillet this week, it hit like a brick, it sat there for ages and I felt sick. The more solid the food the harder the feeling in the stomach. I then burp loads too.
It's due to this feeling, which puts me off solid meats, ghat I eat a lot of yoghurt and porridge still.
Take it slowly you might not be ready for firmer foods yet, your stomach will tell you what it wants! Mine does!
I just added bits slowly and ate tiny amounts. You will get there!
Today for example I am having a butchers sausage roll, it takes me about an hour to eat it, a bit at a time.
I found I ate what I craved..a slice of pizza, crab meat, a scone!
The weight does come off just don't rush it...and get lots of water down too..the constipation passes at about 3 months out!!

I'm 8 months out and know what you mean. For me the denser the food the more uncomfortable it is. I have two forks of salmon fillet this week, it hit like a brick, it sat there for ages and I felt sick. The more solid the food the harder the feeling in the stomach. I then burp loads too. It's due to this feeling, which puts me off solid meats, ghat I eat a lot of yoghurt and porridge still. Take it slowly you might not be ready for firmer foods yet, your stomach will tell you what it wants! Mine does! I just added bits slowly and ate tiny amounts. You will get there! Today for example I am having a butchers sausage roll, it takes me about an hour to eat it, a bit at a time. I found I ate what I craved..a slice of pizza, crab meat, a scone! The weight does come off just don't rush it...and get lots of water down too..the constipation passes at about 3 months out!!

Thanks Kar, that's really helpful. Pizza??? Having found certain soft foods difficult, I can't even imagine how tough something like pizza will be due to how hard the crust is!!! Did you not find that a scone is too dry?
Funny enough, I was going to try salmon and decided against it and went for fish fingers instead!!
At least I can see a little light at the end of the tunnel as I know you've come out the other side and done so well with it!! Thanks again xx

Not sure I count as experienced, as I'm only 6 months out - but I concur with Karina.

I think I mentioned in your other thread Rinata that I also get bubbles and hiccups. Similar to Karina, the density of the food does affect me. Although I ate very little meat pre-op, I am now pretty much 100% pescetarian. Pork, beef & lamb are all too dense. I can tolerate chicken (moistly cooked), but find it boring.

Everyone is so different. Salmon for me is heaven - whereas pizza would be like concrete. But similar to Karina, I love my yogurts.

I had constipation followed by diarrhoea followed by constipation. At this stage I'm regular (every other day) but occasionally it feels like passing a wardrobe - but that is solely down to me never drinking enough.

I can only reiterate what Karina has said - things change so much. Take it easy and stick to the rules.

Oh, and my best friends are fish fingers and fish cakes. So much variety, so much protein and so easy to digest.

Not sure I count as experienced, as I'm only 6 months out - but I concur with Karina. I think I mentioned in your other thread Rinata that I also get bubbles and hiccups. Similar to Karina, the density of the food does affect me. Although I ate very little meat pre-op, I am now pretty much 100% pescetarian. Pork, beef & lamb are all too dense. I can tolerate chicken (moistly cooked), but find it boring. Everyone is so different. Salmon for me is heaven - whereas pizza would be like concrete. But similar to Karina, I love my yogurts. I had constipation followed by diarrhoea followed by constipation. At this stage I'm regular (every other day) but occasionally it feels like passing a wardrobe - but that is solely down to me never drinking enough. I can only reiterate what Karina has said - things change so much. Take it easy and stick to the rules. Oh, and my best friends are fish fingers and fish cakes. So much variety, so much protein and so easy to digest.

Bear, the fact that you're 5-6 months ahead of me, that counts as experienced in my books!! Thanks for the feedback, that is helpful. Sounds like trail & error at the mo. I'll give salmon a try. My fish intake has been tuna mayonnaise, tinned mackerel or sardines and fish fingers!!

Perhaps I've been naive about the sleeve as I hadn't anticipated all the extra ailments such as BM's, air bubbles or hiccups etc etc..... And I totally agree about passing a wardrobe!! That was funny!
I hope that when you say things change so much... That you mean it's for the better!! ;-).

Have a great week xx

There's no rush in stages. You don't have to be on normal food next week, nothing wrong with slowing down to what your body is telling you. It is often trial and error at this stage. Beef has never posed me a problem but it took me ages to be able to do fish and eggs.

It can feel a pretty miserable process at times. But what happens is it gets to a point where it starts feeling normal again and food becomes less of a chore to think about.

Food will be boring and repetitive for a little while whilst you're getting used to processing it.

There's no rush in stages. You don't have to be on normal food next week, nothing wrong with slowing down to what your body is telling you. It is often trial and error at this stage. Beef has never posed me a problem but it took me ages to be able to do fish and eggs. It can feel a pretty miserable process at times. But what happens is it gets to a point where it starts feeling normal again and food becomes less of a chore to think about. Food will be boring and repetitive for a little while whilst you're getting used to processing it.

Thanks Smallerme. You're so right, it does feel like a miserable process sometimes. I thought my obsessing over food and diet would be over post op but I actually obsess about it even more now!!! My whole day revolves around food and drink times and menu!! It is a chore at the moment but that's great saying that it will start feeling normal again!

Have a great weekend and thanks again xx

Im still pretty obsessed but i think thats the way most of us are. I still write down my daily calories, think protein, count protein, think water and note how much ive drunk. I quite like it, it keeps me focused!

Im still pretty obsessed but i think thats the way most of us are. I still write down my daily calories, think protein, count protein, think water and note how much ive drunk. I quite like it, it keeps me focused!

Wow Karina, you really are so committed..... Probably how you've done so well and reached More than your goal. Try not to lose anymore weight. Hopefully your Vegas trip will help you stay where you are or help put on a couple of pounds. As you enjoy making a note, I'm sure you've made a note of your countdown before you fly off?? Have a great holiday xx

I'm 9 months out and I struggle with dense or heavy/chewy foods and get the same feeling. I've just learnt to stop when it comes. You'll learn to recognise the feeling. I also no longer enjoy foods - but I have to say. It's a GREAT thing, to no longer crave stuff as I know I can't eat it or it's not worth buying it as I can only manage a few bites.

If I'm honest I though I'd have the sleeve, lose weight and go back to eating whatever and staying slim. Lol - but reality is - thank god - it's for life and it does stop over eating.

The sleeve is the best thing to happen to me. In 9 months I've lost 8.5/9 stone and I think I'm a slow loser.

my weight stalls and ups and downs but overall trend is down.

Good luck xx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

I'm 9 months out and I struggle with dense or heavy/chewy foods and get the same feeling. I've just learnt to stop when it comes. You'll learn to recognise the feeling. I also no longer enjoy foods - but I have to say. It's a GREAT thing, to no longer crave stuff as I know I can't eat it or it's not worth buying it as I can only manage a few bites. If I'm honest I though I'd have the sleeve, lose weight and go back to eating whatever and staying slim. Lol - but reality is - thank god - it's for life and it does stop over eating. The sleeve is the best thing to happen to me. In 9 months I've lost 8.5/9 stone and I think I'm a slow loser. my weight stalls and ups and downs but overall trend is down. Good luck xx Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Hi Helen,

Thanks for the insight. I know I'm still new at this but I agree about no longer enjoying food or having cravings so far. Eating anything is quite uncomfortable ... And that's just soft foods!! I think a lot of us were under the illusion that we'd lose the weight and eat whatever afterwards but reality couldn't be further from that!!

Well done all your brilliant weight loss of 9 stone in 9 months... That is incredible!!! Have you reached your target weight now? Xx

I'm 6 wks post sleeve, I'm introducing soft foods & also struggling!
Having real problems getting medication down too, although I find it easier taking them with milk.
I'm craving weird things, I just had to have beet root yesterday which wasn't one of my best ideas, straight back up.
I'm also experiencing the bubbly thing & regurgitating. I'm seeing my surgeon Mr Balapuri from Washington Spire Hospital (UK) on 28 April, so I've got a list of questions.
I started at 15st 11 & I'm now 13st 11, so I'm happy with weightloss, only thing is I can see more wrinkles now - I'm 42!!!

I'm 6 wks post sleeve, I'm introducing soft foods & also struggling! Having real problems getting medication down too, although I find it easier taking them with milk. I'm craving weird things, I just had to have beet root yesterday which wasn't one of my best ideas, straight back up. I'm also experiencing the bubbly thing & regurgitating. I'm seeing my surgeon Mr Balapuri from Washington Spire Hospital (UK) on 28 April, so I've got a list of questions. I started at 15st 11 & I'm now 13st 11, so I'm happy with weightloss, only thing is I can see more wrinkles now - I'm 42!!!

Hi Jacstar, that is a great result and it seems you don't have that much left to lose? What is your target?
The only medication I've struggled with is Forceval multivits. I'm now taking Boots complete A-Z which is mush easier to swallow and I've not had any negative reaction so far.
Beetroot is a very weird craving!! I've not had any cravings... Just smell envy with what the rest of the family are eating.

Good luck with your surgeon's appt and it's good you have loads of questions!

Have a good week ahead and stay off the beetroot xx

Hi Rinata Rak, I'm hoping to get down to about 10.5 that would be my goal.
We've had a bereavement this week so I've had to reschedule my hospital appt.
I'm now down to 13.7, but I must admit I've forgotten to eat with everything going on, however I'm back on track.
Ha ha I'm staying away from the beetroot!
I don't know if it's because I've been sitting around this week but i feel like I've been booted in my left side, a bit uncomfortable but I'm sure once I'm active again it'll ease.
My new craving is prawns! I'm going to try them tomorrow!!!!!!
Good luck everyone, it's great to hear all of your experiences x

Hi Helen,

Thanks for the insight. I know I'm still new at this but I agree about no longer enjoying food or having cravings so far. Eating anything is quite uncomfortable ... And that's just soft foods!! I think a lot of us were under the illusion that we'd lose the weight and eat whatever afterwards but reality couldn't be further from that!!

Well done all your brilliant weight loss of 9 stone in 9 months... That is incredible!!! Have you reached your target weight now? Xx

I have reached the weight I wanted to be 18st and a size 18.

BUT to be a healthy BMI I have 6 stone more to loose.

This is the smallest I've ever been, so I think my body is settling down now, so the real hard work begins -- Exercise! ARGH!

Back