• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Learning to stop before its too late

tealovingsleever

I've got myself in to a bad habit when I eat out or cook something at home I haven't tried before of eating just a bit too much and then feeling really uncomfortable with that lead weight in my chest or sliming or vomiting. Does anyone else struggle with this? I find it's worse if its something really yummy! I guess I'm still learning to listen to my signals and not my head!

I understand this!...lol

I do this an awful lot,when it comes to actually eating my own little portion I'm far too uncomfy and full.

It's so hard isn't it as our portions are so tiny!

I did this tonight, was stuffed but still forced more down, i had to get rid of some in the end, gawd x

I'm so pleased it's not just me. I seem to go from fine to overly full in a matter of seconds so I don't always see it coming. You'd think we might learn in the end!

Caren your weight loss is amazing, you give me hope i can get to 140lbs. I saw my surgeon the other week for my check up and he was all very negative saying I shouldn't get my hopes up and sleeve patients rarely lose 90% of their excess weight etc.

I'm so pleased it's not just me. I seem to go from fine to overly full in a matter of seconds so I don't always see it coming. You'd think we might learn in the end!

Caren your weight loss is amazing, you give me hope i can get to 140lbs. I saw my surgeon the other week for my check up and he was all very negative saying I shouldn't get my hopes up and sleeve patients rarely lose 90% of their excess weight etc.
you are doing amazing! theres no reason why you cant go as far as you want to :) x

I find the only thing that helps me is to tell myself if I want more I can have it but in ten minutes. By then my full feeling really kicks in and I don't eat it.

Thanks caren I hope so. Yvessa that's a good idea. Once I've stopped I don't really care but I have to make myself stop :)

I know what you mean, and I have got into a very bad habit of grazing quite a lot, rather than eating a small meal at one go. If I eat out I have to eat a full small meal and do find I very often take one bite too much. The good news is that despite the grazing, I am still losing weight but slowly.

I try very hard not to snack as I know that slows down my loss, it's hard though!

Something I have noticed from about 5 months post op onwards is:

-- the very tight feeling of restriction we had in the early days goes

When I first moved onto solid food for the first few months (Months 2 3 and 4 post op) my sleeve made it very clear to me when I needed to stop -- the feeling was similar to having a band squeezing and tightening round my stomach.

However, now my sleeve is "grown up" (ha ha!) adult size sleeve it has become more flexible -- not bigger -- but it flexes and adapts more easily whilst it is being filled ..... and I don't get that really clear sharp "kick" like a band when it is full any more.

Now I have to judge my portion size according to what I already *know* my sleeve can take ..... and a few times if I get it wrong, I don't get the tight / banded feeling anymore ..... but get a bit of bubbles or dizzy dumping going on.

Victoria I know you aren't going to appreciate this, but I envy your ability to be sick, I really do! With me, it just sits there like a lump of lead giving me terrible discomfort until it finally passes. Only this morning when I ate a pita for breakfast and it was a mistake, did I throw at least some of it back up. Such a relief!

I don't think tasting in itself is a bad thing as long as we then adjust our meal downwards to allow for the amount we ate tasting it.

I still struggle with this. I tend to dish up the "correct portion" but I'll see I have one or two mouthfuls left. I still find myself trying to eat them. Sometimes this ends in me rejecting my food or half chewing and then spitting it out. Hopefully I will get to the stage where I can just stop when I'm full. I'm quite annoyed I can't do it yet, but at the same time how much I can eat has changed in the last 7 months so we will see what happens.

Hi Sharon, i still have strong restriction but nothing like it was in the beginning when 3 teaspoons had me stuffed and being sick!

Ruthie i should get a gold star for vomitting, i just have to look at the loo and it comes up, most strange!

Shelly we sound exactly the same! I have pre-portioned meals in the freezer and my head says i need to eat it all even though my sleeve is saying 'you've had quite enough' I'm really trying to listen at the moment and stop before that spoonful too far!

Last edited:
I'm the same! I always eat about two mouthfuls too much, and then i have to get up a walk around for ten in until it goes down, or very occasionally vomit. Its the burping i hate, after every meal, i sound like a bloke! my restriction is still ok, but i can definately eat more, which is why i use MFP, to reassure myself :)

Ruthie, i have read somewhere that pitta bread is one of the worst things for swelling up in your tum after eating it. I'd avoid it if i were you!

I tend to stop as soon as I lose interest in what I'm eating. I've pushed it a few times and I don't like the consequences, so now as soon as I lose interest I stop :)

I asked about the burping at my meeting with my surgeon last week. He said if you have a slow transit the gas that is produced in your intestine can end up going up rather than down and this slowness can be caused by the strength of the muscle at the bottom of your stomach. I hope it gets better, I hate burping all the time!!

Paula that's an interesting way to do it. I think if I'm more conscious when eating I might realise I've list interest too!

Back